Tube Strike Planned

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Tube Strike Planned

Post by MalJutley »

Hello everyone.... I have a mate who works for the RMT. There is going to be a tube strike during frightfest. This could get called off if demands are met but for now its going ahead.

Details can be found here: http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-confirms ... e-dispute/

In short:

Tuesday 25th August starting at 6:30pm for 24 hours

Thursday 27th August Starting at 6:30pm for 24 hours

Service either side of these times will be severely disrupted too
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Tube Strike Planned

Post by scarebear »

Yeah, like they are gonna work the day in between as well!

Anyone coming to FF may as well forget the tube and find another way of travelling until the saturday morning.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Great. As someone who'll be getting the train in from well outside London, that's going to royally screw things up for me (and many others I'd imagine). :evil:
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Its going to be a major pain in the arse...overground trains and then buses or cabs or walks where possible i guess!
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Just for further confirmation, here's the BBC news site details as well;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33866704

Timing totally sucks on this. I'm lucky enough in that I'll be uptown and staying local, but I really feel for the folks who are travelling in from further afield. Just hope it gets averted at the last moment. :(
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

This is going to cause an extra special level of chaos (especially as First Great Western staff are striking over the bank holiday weekend as well, so anyone coming in on British Rail from the M4 corridor are going to have problems as well).

I don't want it to, but I fear TfL will back down this time around :(

Either way, need to think of a back-up plan for Thursday and Friday. I had toyed with the idea of driving in both days (even without a discount parking offer this year) to aid with getting home late, but suspect that the roads will be bumper-to-bumper with people resorting to cars to get to work. Also expect Uber will be running eye-watering surge pricing.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

Frightfest: I came for the films, but I stayed for the transport moans and 80s politics. Plenty of cheapo £60ish lodgings at LSE High Holborn Halls as of last week for anyone who would prefer to stay nearby rather than face the trials of the 'Horror Express!'
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

Meanbobs wrote:Frightfest: I came for the films, but I stayed for the transport moans and 80s politics. Plenty of cheapo £60ish lodgings at LSE High Holborn Halls as of last week for anyone who would prefer to stay nearby rather than face the trials of the 'Horror Express!'
I'll have a look at LSE Holborn, but not sure it's for me.

Thursday and Friday - if I don't drive I should be able to get in using a combination of the Chiltern Line into Marylebone and one of those nasty red things that block up the roads. Coming home is more of an issue as the last film both nights finishes well after the last Chiltern Line back to Ruislip (and also after the last Central Line, if it was running). Hopefully by 1-1.30am surge pricing might have subsided and I can get an Uber home for about £30 (which would be cheaper than a day's parking + congestion charge).

Decisions, decisions.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

For what it's worth I do not believe TfL will back down over this. They want that night tube and it's coming in regardless.

I get to London around 1pm on Thursday so will drop my stuff off at HHH earlyish then maybe head to Cineworld and watch a film, have tea then go to FF. Nothing will spoil my FF
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

Anyone arriving into Kings X, St Pancras or Euston can get to Leicester sq in about 30 mins walk ... you're likely to wait longer to get on a bus

Good luck getting to and from the fest..,

I'll be servicing my bicycle
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

im coming from surrey each day, it's an easy enough walk from waterloo - but i already sort of figured with the night service due 12th of september the 'best' opportunity for a strike was going to be the bank holiday so i half expected it.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

My train's due to get into Euston at 16:15, am I better off hoofing it to LSE Northumberland House or chancing trying to get one of the last tubes of the day?
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I'm at Kings Cross and planning to stick my head round the door at the tube station around 4.30 to see how it's going - if it doesn't look too bad I'll head into town then and if it's starting to get chaotic there's plenty of time to walk. I wasn't in London for the last one, so I don't know how it progressed.

If I was going straight from Euston to Northumberland House and the 4.15 train was on time I think I'd jump straight on the Northern Line to Charing Cross before it gets too nuts - at least it's a straightforward journey even if it's busy. Friday morning I'll walk and just have to remember to set off early, but as above it's no more than a half hour away (and I'll still get a longer lie in than when we had to queue for Discovery tickets :) ).
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Can you not change train tickets to get in earlier?

We got across London ok without any major problems when there was a strike on. Trying to get to Liverpool Street from Euston and we did it by bus without any major issues it just took a little longer.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Kris wrote:Can you not change train tickets to get in earlier?
Unfortunately not, cheap ticket for specific trains. Not to worry, if it's chaos when I get off the train, I'll just walk. Always need a shower when I get to my accommodation thanks to London's permanently sticky and hot atmosphere, so it'll be no change. :D