Tube Strike Planned

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Tube Strike Planned

Post by FranksWildYears »

DJBenz wrote:
Kris wrote:Can you not change train tickets to get in earlier?
Unfortunately not, cheap ticket for specific trains. Not to worry, if it's chaos when I get off the train, I'll just walk. Always need a shower when I get to my accommodation thanks to London's permanently sticky and hot atmosphere, so it'll be no change. :D
You can amend the time or date of the cheap advance tickets, you just can't get a refund on them or change the journey itself. There's a £10 admin fee plus the price difference between the old and new tickets payable, but whilst they don't shout about it it's fine and you can do it either online or at a station ticket office. I do it all the time - don't worry :).
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

BBC News is reporting that TFL has caved and delayed the launch of the Night Tube. No news yet on whether this will trigger the unions to cancel the strikes, but it would be the natural response.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Might still be worth asking at the station if you can change it due to the circumstances that were beyond your knowledge at the time of making the booking. I work for a train company and sometimes it can be good customer service to allow people to travel at a different time if there is a reasonable reason to do so.

We drop in just after 1 so we normally walk down from Euston to either HHH or Northumberland.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Thanks for the info on the trains chaps, but TBH coming earlier means losing those hours at work (don't get paid unless I'm working) so while the £10 to change the ticket is tolerable, the loss of earnings will sting a bit more.

As long as it's not raining I'll be fine with a nice stroll through London. :)
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

As already stated the 24-hour tube start-date has been postponed, and one union (ASLEF) has just stated that their members won't be taking part, so it might not be the total wipe-out that we're all fearing...
Details = http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... ices-union

Fingers & Chainsaws crossed... :|
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Meh.

Get in at Euston - go to the Tap, few drinks.

Pub crawl to High Holborn, get room, go down to the corner for Craft Beer Co.

Drink the pain away.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Yes just found this out too... my mate who works for the RMT says due to the delay in the night tube service the strike may be cancelled but wil know more for sure by the end of the week. Tho there is this story: http://www.theweek.co.uk/tube-strike/57 ... r-walkouts
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

TheDukeAbides wrote:Meh.

Get in at Euston - go to the Tap, few drinks.

Pub crawl to High Holborn, get room, go down to the corner for Craft Beer Co.

Drink the pain away.
Go to The Winchester and wait for it all to blow over? :p
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

TheDukeAbides wrote:go down to the corner for Craft Beer Co.
Where is that place? Like the sound of that.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I've only been in the Brixton one (which is pretty great), but they've opened a branch in Covent Garden according to the website: thecraftbeerco.com.

That's my down time sorted, if I can muster up the patience to go near Covent Garden on a Bank Holiday weekend.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

zappa fan wrote:
TheDukeAbides wrote:go down to the corner for Craft Beer Co.
Where is that place? Like the sound of that.
There is one on the corner that High Holborn is on, on the walk to Leicester Square.

Opened sometime after 2013 as last year was the first time I got to go in it - there were times I went their between films.

Not cheap mind...
LeighM
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LeighM »

Commodore wrote:Thursday and Friday - if I don't drive I should be able to get in using a combination of the Chiltern Line into Marylebone and one of those nasty red things that block up the roads. Coming home is more of an issue as the last film both nights finishes well after the last Chiltern Line back to Ruislip (and also after the last Central Line, if it was running). Hopefully by 1-1.30am surge pricing might have subsided and I can get an Uber home for about £30 (which would be cheaper than a day's parking + congestion charge).

Decisions, decisions.
If you want to keep the cost down, I live out Uxbridge way and could split an Uber with you? I'm not sure of my exact plans yet as I also have the option to crash at a friends who lives out near Stratford.
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

LeighM wrote:If you want to keep the cost down, I live out Uxbridge way and could split an Uber with you? I'm not sure of my exact plans yet as I also have the option to crash at a friends who lives out near Stratford.
If you do end up commuting back to Uxbridge, I would be more than happy to split an Uber with you.

Jut let me know what your plans are.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

DJBenz wrote:My train's due to get into Euston at 16:15, am I better off hoofing it to LSE Northumberland House or chancing trying to get one of the last tubes of the day?
I'd suggest just walking. Most of central London is quick enought to walk through - at peak times, especially when I'm wearing a suit in the summer, I just walk as it saves going up and down through the crowds at the tube stations. If you walk from Euston you can also go past some great pubs, starting off with the Euston Tap. Come to think of it, last sleepy queue one of my mates was heading to Birmingham so just walked to Euston (I went as far as the Holborn Whippet).