FrightFest has a new home for 2016

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: FrightFest has a new home for 2016

Post by Critter Egg »

I've seen lots of comments on here and on social media saying how bad this move is and how much more expensive it will be for travel. If you live in London I know your rent / mortage is probably already extortionate so you're not wanting to pay for extra travel or accomodation, but plenty of people come to FrightFest from outside London. FrightFest don't put any events on further South so my man and I have to pay London prices for the weekend every year although we're not on London salaries :s For us the move away from the West End has halved our accomodation costs, and all the extras sound exciting so I'm looking forward to August!
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

I just see it as an annual holiday. It'll cost me the pass (£170-ish), the accommodation (£200-ish) plus, travel, food and booze (£100-ish). Total £470 for 5 days. I'd rather that than a week in Tenerife to be honest.

I've been to the Vue at Shepherd's Bush several times and it's a decent cinema with lots of food/drink/pubs/shops nearby.

The only thing I'm going to miss.......Film4's sponsorship. That intro sequence they used to show (not sure it was shown last year) with the music was great, it was a woman in leather, think there were blood/blades involved too but can't remember much of it.
ThanaNiveau
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ThanaNiveau »

Looks super exciting to us! :) Like Bacchus, we see it as a holiday, so it costs whatever it costs. Coming from Bristol, we have to add in travel and accommodation also, so being out of the overpriced tourist trap of central London is very appealing. We booked the Ibis around the corner. Now the only hellish part remaining is the horror of getting our festival passes... :eek:
Last edited by ThanaNiveau on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I delight in what I fear.
- Shirley Jackson
bloodyburger
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bloodyburger »

I've spent a lot of time in W12 and around Shepherds Bush...

The cinema is great, has a good vintage multiplex feel to it and has a big, open space out front to mingle but generally the W12 shopping centre is a dive, not quite the same for guests arriving in Leicester Square. But hey, we're there to watch films and we'll be in the screens which are good.

The main problem I can foresee is Notting Hill Carnival - Shepherd's Bush gets very busy over this weekend as people are encouraged to alight here and walk down to the Notting Hill, same with on the return journey added to that a lot of after parties go on in Shepherd's Bush and along the Uxbridge Road. It gets very busy and I would usually steer clear at this time of year. That being said, the cinema is tucked away from street level so it won't be a problem once you're in there.

Unfortunately, most Vue Cinemas in London are pretty disappointing outside of Leicester Square but I think you've made the right choice and it will be a good experience.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I'll admit I wasn't very happy when I read this either having also booked my (Kings Cross) hotel a few weeks ago, and it's going to be a 2-night-bus return journey for me too, but having seen what people are apparently paying for the Ibis I could get a cab back each night and still be ahead, so it's just a bit of inconvenience and getting to bed late really. I'll miss hanging around my favourite food places and I'd rather be in Soho than Westfield, but yeah, we're there for the films.

If it means no queue for another year, that's a bonus too. I know some people enjoy it, but I only ever do it to be sure of getting a ticket and a seat I like and I'd be very happy if it ran like last year - the 'two tier' element affecting people who through no fault of their own can't come to London and queue has always made me uncomfortable anyway.

If anybody is really concerned about getting back into town alone late at night, I'm sure somebody will be a travel buddy? I fear no bus :D
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

staineve wrote:I'm all for the entire cinema takeover and on site Wetherspoons! Alas the distance means I'm unlikely to do the full weekend this year. As lame as it sounds, two night buses taking over an hour and a half on a bank holiday weekend is a bit daunting for a lone female. That said, if I could afford accomodation nearby I'd be well chuffed. I'll still be aiming for at least one day pass!
I second your thoughts.

I usually get a weekend pass, but this year am planning on getting day passes for Friday and/or Saturday and missing the late films. I'm also a lone female who stopped using night buses alone a few years ago after some creep followed me off the bus and sadly, the cost of a taxi from the Bush is too much. I also want to avoid the Carnival days, which always causes tremendous pressure / overcrowding etc. on the West side of the Central line.
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

It really saddens me to see lone attendees (completely justifiably) being put off by the combo of venue change and the thought of using night buses etc. Nobody should be deprived of their FrightFest fix because of London's night bus "experience" or punitive cab costs.

It would be great if, as a community of attendees, we could co-ordinate some Uber-sharing and liftshare (for those of us driving) arrangements before tickets go on sale - so that people can come for the whole event, stay late and feel safe as they travel home.

I've helped people out who were on my way back with lifts home in previous years. Hopefully others will be happy to do the same.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Hours of Fun

Post by iomega »

I was over at the new FrightFest location today for meetings. One of them was with the manager of the attached Wetherspoon's pub. We discussed among other things, the possibility of extending their opening hours, so FrightFesters can enjoy a convivial pint or to after the films. The conversation turned to the pub's carpet. Did you know that every Wetherspoon's pub has a different pattern. And what's more, somebody has been spending their spare time going around the country taking pictures.

So, treat yourself to hours of fun.

http://wetherspoonscarpets.tumblr.com/
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Wizardry

Post by iomega »

Wizardry that will be in use at FrightFest this August. Be amazed.

DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Wizardry

Post by DJBenz »

iomega wrote:Wizardry that will be in use at FrightFest this August. Be amazed.
Got to be better than the service at the Vue bar last year. I think they had to hand craft each glass before they filled it, judging by the time they took!
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Wizardry

Post by bacchus »

DJBenz wrote:
iomega wrote:Wizardry that will be in use at FrightFest this August. Be amazed.
Got to be better than the service at the Vue bar last year. I think they had to hand craft each glass before they filled it, judging by the time they took!
:lol:

Very true. I remember queuing for about 15 minutes to get served, and there were only about 7 people ahead of me in the queue. The choice was pretty limited from what I remember - a couple of lagers, a couple of ciders and some tiny wines.

The service at Empire was brilliant and they had quite a bit more choice drinks wise, but they did have a huge bar and more staff.

I'm looking forward to having a Wetherspoon's so close to the venue. Not only that, there are plenty of pubs/bars along the old high street nearby in Shepherd's Bush as well as a few bit posher places in and around Westfield.

I'm a really looking forward to this year, even more than last year.
Zombielover
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Zombielover »

Cannot wait for this years Frightfest hope the ticket sales process is abit smoother this year! With regards to venue we too thought we would be clever and booked Covent Garden Travelodge so I guess there will be loads of us there in our Frightfest T-shirts. Hope we can hook up and taxi share with some of you as hoping to avoid the tubes this year.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

It’s 100 days till festival and day passes for FrightFest 2016 go on sale. Saturday 2nd July just in case you want to add to your diary.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

Well blimey, the things you learn when you've been away from the site a few months!

I've booked literally nothing as yet. Let the accommodation search commence....
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

We are hosting a screening of FRIEND REQUEST thanks to Warner Bros. Pictures at our new home on the 19th of April. Get your free tickets over at frightfest.co.uk

All the tickets are gone and a wait list has been started