FrightFest has a new home for 2016

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: FrightFest has a new home for 2016

Post by Commodore »

iomega wrote:We are hosting a screening of FRIEND REQUEST thanks to Warner Bros. Pictures at our new home on the 19th of April. Get your free tickets over at frightfest.co.uk

All the tickets are gone and a wait list has been started
Have my ticket squared away, looking forward to giving the new venue a live test this evening. Should be fun with a full house.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Hope we get a full report back.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
jimbo
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by jimbo »

Ooh, haven't been on here in ages, wanted to give feedback on the cinema - I think it'll work really well, all 12 screens are accessed from the one big corridor, so no half hour deathmarch to find the next screen. Nice big area at the front to congregate, a cheeky Wetherspoons down the hall, a Teppanyaki joint, and tons of food/pub options nearby without the Leicester Square approach to pricing...

As for screenings this year, given how it's easy to miss a good film due to a clash, I'd like more repeats of Discovery screenings, if possible. And seeing as we have all 12 screens, maybe one screen that just shows classic movies? Sometimes if a film turns out to be duff, it'd be nice to just pop into a classic to refresh your tastebuds... Is ticketing likely to be the same/similar to last year? I like having the same assigned seat for the main screen, wouldn't want to have to do the Discovery screen ticket dash for every movie. Or could there be an option to pick and choose online??

James
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The screening of "Friend Request" was the first time I've been inside the Shepherd's Bush Vue (though I've been to the West 12 Shopping Centre before). The big open forum at the front of the cinema and the wide corridor with the screens down either side look like there should be plenty of space to congregate and circulate, though as it doubles as the entrance, I'm not sure if it will work as well as a social space as the mezzanine area in the Vue did last year. There are only a couple of small sofas there at the moment so I hope a bunch of chairs and tables can be brought in for the festival.

One thing that did concern me were the toilet facilities. The one next to Screen 5 only had 3 urinals in a cramped space so there was a big queue after the film had ended. Apparently there are several toilet facilities throughout the complex, but I'm still unconvinced they can handle a festival crowd.

Alan talked about either having the assigned seating from previous years, or the possibility of a convention-style festival, where there are no assigned seats and you just choose 25 films before you enter. Personally I'd prefer the assigned seating system (there'd have to be 4 or 5 main screens showing the main program), but then the remaining 7 or 8 screens could show both Discovery Films and repeats of main program films.
Uzumaki
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Uzumaki »

I've gotta admit that the prospect of having to get 2 night busses home from Shepherds Bush after each night didn't fill me with much joy so I wasn't that pleased about the move. Looks like the night tubes are gonna be in place by the August bank holiday though http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... this-july/ which is fantastic. If anything I'll end up getting home more quickly and I'll be avoiding the fifth circle of hell that is Leicester Sq at nighttime ;-)

We went to see Friend Request at the cinema this week and the layout looked pretty good; it's shaping up to be a great location.

Oh yeah, my vote is for a ticket getting a specific seat. Part of the joy of Frightfest is sitting next to the same people all festival and getting to know them. I've made several friends through this alone.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

ChrisReynolds wrote:One thing that did concern me were the toilet facilities. The one next to Screen 5 only had 3 urinals in a cramped space so there was a big queue after the film had ended. Apparently there are several toilet facilities throughout the complex, but I'm still unconvinced they can handle a festival crowd.
*has flashbacks to the Empire toilet queues* :o
Uzumaki wrote:Oh yeah, my vote is for a ticket getting a specific seat. Part of the joy of Frightfest is sitting next to the same people all festival and getting to know them. I've made several friends through this alone.
Yeah, I wouldn't like to see the single-seat policy go either. I think it's a big contribution to making Frightfest one of the most friendly festivals.
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

ChrisReynolds wrote: Alan talked about either having the assigned seating from previous years, or the possibility of a convention-style festival, where there are no assigned seats and you just choose 25 films before you enter.
I really hope they keep the allocated seating model. Last year I was so glad the discovery screen ticket queuing was resolved; the only time I had to queue was for popcorn. But if seating was free for all I can image people rushing between screens to queue outside the next film they want to see in order to get the seats they want.

I wouldn't mind a system where you could confirm you will not be in your allocated seat for a specific film (eg if you are going to a Discovery screen instead), so that this seat could then be taken by a Frightfester from another screen for that film only, in case they had missed it due to timing clashes etc. But I can understand that would be a headache to organise.
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

Critter Egg wrote:
ChrisReynolds wrote: Alan talked about either having the assigned seating from previous years, or the possibility of a convention-style festival, where there are no assigned seats and you just choose 25 films before you enter.
I really hope they keep the allocated seating model. Last year I was so glad the discovery screen ticket queuing was resolved; the only time I had to queue was for popcorn. But if seating was free for all I can image people rushing between screens to queue outside the next film they want to see in order to get the seats they want.

I wouldn't mind a system where you could confirm you will not be in your allocated seat for a specific film (eg if you are going to a Discovery screen instead), so that this seat could then be taken by a Frightfester from another screen for that film only, in case they had missed it due to timing clashes etc. But I can understand that would be a headache to organise.
Never understood why some people are so desperate to have a particular seat or seats. As long as you get to see a film you want why does it matter. I couldn't care less whether I'm right at the front or right at the back. If people are rushing just to get a fractionally better view them it's a bit sad.

I like the allocated seating as you get to know the people around you and it feels like "home" for a few days.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

bacchus wrote:Never understood why some people are so desperate to have a particular seat or seats. As long as you get to see a film you want why does it matter. I couldn't care less whether I'm right at the front or right at the back. If people are rushing just to get a fractionally better view them it's a bit sad.
For a lot of people it's tradition; they like to be sat in a particular row with their friends each year. Yeah, it doesn't matter, technically, but it's all part of the experience.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Hello Ian - when can we expect an update on how ticketing will work this year? Things like how many main screens, breakdown of others screens and how many film slots per day etc? Also how much for the full pass this year?

The ticketing will be the tried and tested formula as far as possible with the new venue, so while there may be the odd tweak here and there, you will have your seat as usual for the whole event. As for a breakdown of the how we will use the other screens, it is a little early to know. A lot will depend on the films, guests and other events that present themselves in the run up to when we announce our line up on the 1st July this year
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

ChrisReynolds wrote:One thing that did concern me were the toilet facilities. The one next to Screen 5 only had 3 urinals in a cramped space so there was a big queue after the film had ended. Apparently there are several toilet facilities throughout the complex, but I'm still unconvinced they can handle a festival crowd.
That's strange, just realised that my reply text was missing. Will try again.

Agree, the man loos next to screen 5 are not big enough to swing a cat in (remind me of the size of the man loos at the PCC). Definitely won't be enough to cope with a sudden onslaught of Frightfest bladders needing simultaneous emptying. However, there is a second set of loos in the VUE foyer (just by the ticket checkpoint). Those two sets plus any in the main shopping centre should be ample to cope with the Frightfest crowd and should keep the queues in check.
Last edited by Commodore on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I rather have the same seat throughout the festival. Considering paying fair amount money(as a 5 day pass holder). I would like keep it as the previous years, of having the same seat. Being someone who does not read up on films and going into a screening cold. Don't really want to pick and choose 25 films.

Love the fact I can walk into main screen, have my seat and have a laugh/get scared/bored stiff! :D

D, See my reply above. I hope that answeres your concerns.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Ta Ian!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Suzybearking
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Suzybearking »

Wow, haven't been to FrightFest in a few years and so much has changed lol. Can't wait to check out the festival at a new cinema, quite exciting xx
Love life and be nice to each other, unless someone is a dickhead and needs telling they are lol :D :D

@suzy_bear_
bluefrown
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bluefrown »

Hey Ian,

Sorry if this has been mentioned and addressed elsewhere - is there a booking fee this year?

I'm buying tickets for a couple of other people so would be handy to know.

Cheers.