World Premieres

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
Paddywelshman
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

World Premieres

Post by Paddywelshman »

There are a number of World Premieres at this years festival. Any thoughts on these titles?
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: World Premieres

Post by scoutthehorizon »

World Premieres can oft lead to two lines of thought: Glass half full "wow what an amazing scoop & exclusive opportunity" and glass half empty "is there a reason this hasn't been screened before". And, yes, as many MANY frightfest fans are quick to jump to examples like DEAD CERT or SHOCKWAVE DARKSIDE 3D as examples of *THATS* why it was a world premiere. But more and more in the last few years the FrightFest guys have scooped up some wonderful off the radar gems, often 1st time British directors really needing that break, and giving them a fantastic stage to unleash their little slice of horror. Last year alone we had the World premieres of AAAAAAAH, NEVER LET GO, THE LESSON & HOWL, 4 fantastic and diverse British genre offerings, not to mention the World Premieres of international gems like THE ROTTEN LINK, SUMMER CAMP & RABID DOGS- three of my personal favourites- and genuine exclusive scoops for the festival.
So you can really look at the "world premiere" status either of those two ways. I, myself, like to give the film credence, not to mention the programmers trust, and get genuinely excited when I know the film I'm about to sit down and see hasn't been seen to anyone else before. It's a risk, it's a gamble; no reviews to guide your choice to see this film out of 60 others etc etc. But it's a gamble that so often has paid off and I've gotten to see a film, rare & exclusive, that sometimes won't see light of day for another 12 months. And also, it's audiences like us that can take a small film's world premiere at FrightFest and generate buzz and hype on social media that can help it travel to other festivals, or even distribution deals.

Apologies for the ramble, but it's been a topic that's been on my mind over the 2016 lineup anyway.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Another thing worth note, that hasn't really been advertised much, but FRIGHTFEST have a 'First Blood' strand added this year, much like their Retro Strand takeover on Discovery Screen 3 on Sunday.

So on Saturday 27th, on Discovery Screen 2, all the films featured are World Premieres of British genre films, mostly from first time directors. A smorgasboard of fresh talent, if you will.

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
Paddywelshman
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Paddywelshman »

Check out Hostage to the Devil. A friend of mine directed it. I'm trying to get him to join up on here. I've seen a screening in Belfast. A scary look into real life modern exorcism with real footage.

Check out the trailer on www.hostagetothedevil.com
PhillipEscott
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PhillipEscott »

Hi all,

I just wanted to drop in and say hi and thank you for the interest in the newer, less established, films like those in the New Blood line-up.

Cruel Summer is my feature and we look forward to getting feedback from the horror fans who are willing to take the plunge on a new film from a couple of first timers! We completed the film in December 2015 and had always planned to submit to FF as a World Premiere and luckily it paid off!

We're all very excited to be included in such an awesome line-up, and look forward to hanging out at the festival and enjoy some quality genre films ourselves!
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Hi Phillip,

I for one and very excited to see CRUEL SUMMER, i think it looks searingly good. You've nailed a quite clash filled Saturday morning slot for me. Hope FrightFest is great for you and the film

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
MartyStalker
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by MartyStalker »

Hi all, hope some of you can make the screening of 'Hostage To The Devil' on the Friday at 04.05pm Discovery Screen 3. Father Malachi Martin was quite the exorcist and doc subject to investigate over the last five years. Anyway, if anyone has any questions about it then fire them through. It's been one interesting journey to completion but just glad people can finally get a chance to watch it and form their own opinion on the man (if that is possible in 96 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-pHjY8F4Go

Kind Regards
Marty
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

MartyStalker wrote:if anyone has any questions about it then fire them through.
Hey Marty,
Looking forward to it! - I heard about the book Hostage To The Devil years ago, do you recommend reading it first before seeing the doc?
MartyStalker
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by MartyStalker »

I interviewed his literary agent about the writing and publishing of the book but the doc looks more about the man and his last exorcism of a 4 year old girl rather than the 5 documented cases in the US which the book is based on. It was released a few years after Mr Blatty's 'The Exorcist' so he wasn't too happy at the time but became a best seller and sold over a million copies. I would read it if you are interested in the subject matter definitely.
PhillipEscott
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PhillipEscott »

scoutthehorizon wrote:Hi Phillip,

I for one and very excited to see CRUEL SUMMER, i think it looks searingly good. You've nailed a quite clash filled Saturday morning slot for me. Hope FrightFest is great for you and the film
Hey man,

Thank you so much for the kind words and, again, thanks for taking the plunge on CRUEL SUMMER! We'll be at the screening I'm sure, so please come and say 'hi' afterwards!