Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Well made and well played. At one point we kept cutting back and forth between father and son and I kept thinking that it was a perfect moment for 'Anamorphic Duovision'...
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word

Post by The Aylmer »

8/10 here too. Was fascinated by the mix of what was based on fact and what obviously wasn't (it as good as started heading down the Exorcist route when the kid was taken to the hospital). Although I didn't pick up on the Adam Redman character (the dad/reluctant juror) being fictional until I had a chat with Simon Rumley afterwards and he said they'd just made him up for the film. It's all lies and deception this movie malarkey.
hemi777
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by hemi777 »

8/10..Wonderful movie and superb performances by all the characters...
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The links with the real case and controversy sat a little uneasily with me before I watched the film and I felt the same way aftewards too.

I'm not too sure that mixing gritty realism with supernatural and religious elements wholly worked either, although it did make me want to find out more about the real case, so it did succeed on that level.

Not as powerful as Red, White and Blue although the true case and Garrett's last words add weight to proceedings. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
HairyMart
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by HairyMart »

Film was fine, but like previous post I did not like the idea of using a real case, especially when the whole conviction is so dubious.

I know there is a documentary about this out there and if film-makers felt so strong then they should try to rectify the injustice.

Not dump on the memory of the man by putting out the idea he is some evil murdering spirit.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Probably the best-directed film of the weekend, I loved the intense sound design and the near-constant use of extreme closeups.

But, as Simon Rumley said, he didn't write this one and beneath the highly skilled film-making there was a pretty bog-standard revenge from beyond the grave plot, even if it is hung on elements of a true story. A good film, but probably not one I'll remember for long.
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

To be honest I wasn't comfortable with them using a death person's death that way in the film either. That makes it harder to really rate the fil on its own merits, so I'm not really sure what to think.
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by hingethunder »

I agree with the point above - really enjoyed the film but reading up on the real case afterwards made me a bit uncomfortable (didn't realise while watching it that Garrett was a real person). The real case does appear to have been a miscarriage of justice, but implicating real people (or fictional characters identifiable as real people, eg the DA, the teacher, the jury members etc) in the miscarriage and building a possession plot around it doesn't sit right with me. Could have easily done the same film around a fictional case.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

A good film but more interesting from the real-life aspect and what could possibly be another miscarriage of justice.

Having said that, this reminded me of an episdoe of the X-files far too much.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

To be honest I thought this was a bit of a polished turd. It looked fantastic and was well directed but the whole thing felt dumb and cheapened the real story behind the movie. The whole thing with the evil infected scabby arm on the main guy felt stupid. I was hoping I would be pleasantly surprised like I was the other year with Slumlord when there was no better alternative, but that didn't happen in this case. On the plus side I did like the directors transparency in the Q&A afterwards.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on FreeVee.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey