No more phone warnings?

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

No more phone warnings?

Post by benj »

I was about halfway through Frightfest when I felt something was missing from the festival this year.

Then I realised there hadn't been a single Turn Your Bloody Phone off advert before the films. Neither was there good old Ian shouting "And turn your f&@king phones off!" as the lights dimmed.

Is this something Frightfest is not enforcing anymore? Has Ian mellowed somewhat?

It doesn't really affect me, sat as I was near the front with serious FFers, but I do worry those sat amongst the one-film-walkins might be subject to the rise of phone screens mid-performance once more. I feel this would be a real shame given FF's admirable dislike for phone use mid-film in the past which has always been a big draw for me.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: No more phone warnings?

Post by Alex J »

In two separate disco screenings (I can't recall the specific films at the moment) individuals used their mobile phones on several occasions. In one of them a regular shouted at the offender, who behaved for a while, but still turned her phone back on later on in the film. Not sure if the offenders were pass holders or just single film visitors, but I just wonder why they pay to watch a movie if they'd rather mess about with their phone....?
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

benj wrote:Then I realised there hadn't been a single Turn Your Bloody Phone off advert before the films. Neither was there good old Ian shouting "And turn your f&@king phones off!" as the lights dimmed.
They played the standard Vue "Boo!" audio warning before a few films and there was James Moran's ident before the opening film (Ian on his parachute), but apart from those, nothing.
Is this something Frightfest is not enforcing anymore? Has Ian mellowed somewhat?
Don't think so, I'd imagine it gets harder, each successive year as the festival gets bigger, to seek out and curate the idents as well as the programme. With the curveball that the change of venue threw in this year, it was probably seen as a non-essential to concentrate on.
wakko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by wakko »

Unfortunately those warnings are still required. I wouldn't necessarily blame it on single ticket holders. On the FF Facebook page there is someone (seems like a pass holder) arguing about using phones in dim mode and how he finds that someone going to the loo causes the same distraction. People just don't get that it annoys others. I remember a cinema that would assign phone ninjas in full body lycra to pick on offenders.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

They could easily just replay some of the "turn your bloody phone off" idents from previous years. The "Boo" ident was underwhelming and easy to ignore. There is literally nothing more distracting in a cinema than a phone screen being turned on because the light draws people's eye away from the screen. However close the phone is held, it's still distracting because peripheral vision has a range of 180 degrees.
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj »

ChrisReynolds wrote:They could easily just replay some of the "turn your bloody phone off" idents from previous years. The "Boo" ident was underwhelming and easy to ignore. There is literally nothing more distracting in a cinema than a phone screen being turned on because the light draws people's eye away from the screen. However close the phone is held, it's still distracting because peripheral vision has a range of 180 degrees.
Agreed. It might actually be quite a nice trip down memory lane (like watching old cinema trailers for local Indian restaurants) to see the old indents again.

Another thing worth noting is that peripheral vision is more sensitive to light than regular vision meaning even a phone in dim mode will appear brighter and more distracting in the corner of your eye.
ThanaNiveau
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ThanaNiveau »

We also missed those phone idents. They've always been a highlight - something made specifically for FF and a bit of fun, and yes, sadly - sorely needed. One of the guests in CROW had her phone on during the climax of the film :eek: until someone shouted at her to turn it off. Someone else on the forum mentioned the chatting woman in D3 in the Horror screen. We were in D4 right across from her and it drove us crazy. I don't like to do the "Shhh" thing because it often backfires and just makes the offenders talk more and/or louder to put you in your place. (I'm not very intimidating.) :( Water pistols maybe?

So yes, those idents are sorely needed. Please bring them back! I loved the selection from a few years ago when some of the filmmakers made ones specifically themed to their movies. And the amateur competition. We could all make our own and submit them to be shown. :)
I delight in what I fear.
- Shirley Jackson
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by hingethunder »

That was me moaning about chatty woman - I think I may have been sitting behind you in E5, we chatted before Train to Busan?

Yes, it was infuriating and I agree with you I couldn't work out a way of intervening that wasn't going to be more disruptive than the original problem! I miss the old idents too. Also in years past whoever was doing the intro would often remind people about phones just before the screening. Really need to return to this, there were a lot of problems this year
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Yeah I contemplated the shhhh thing a couple of times as well but bottled it :s A couple near me were chatting during the films a fair bit, albeit very quietly.

It's inconsiderate to others, that goes without saying, but more than that I just can't understand the mindset of talking when watching movies, not just in the cinema but at home as well - how can you really get into a film if you're talking through it? It takes you right out of the film and back to wherever you're watching it. Chat about it after you've watched it! Arghhh :evil: Bugbears eh?
ThanaNiveau
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ThanaNiveau »

hingethunder wrote:That was me moaning about chatty woman - I think I may have been sitting behind you in E5, we chatted before Train to Busan?
Ah yes! Hello again! :D

I don't understand the talking either. I certainly have no problem with a quick whispered conversation ("What did he say?" "Something about releasing your inner tulpa..."), or if you have to nip out to the loo and your partner quickly fills you in when you get back. But yeah, OMG, that woman and her friend were literally chatting all the way through the film! And there was another pair of yappy women (not sure if they were the same ones or not) in LOST SOLACE. John turned around and stared at them at one point and they shut up. For a while. :roll:

While phone idents don't make the problem go away, I think they do help. It certainly seems to happen less often when there's one of those right before a film. And I never object to someone shouting "Turn your bloody phone off!" in the middle of a film because I'm already being distracted by the phone itself. Maybe the public humiliation discourages others from doing the same. :twisted:
I delight in what I fear.
- Shirley Jackson