Re: Best and Worst Films of 2016

Post by scarebear »

Top 5:-

1/Train to Busan
2/Pet
3/Monolith
4/Broken
5/Population Zero

+ A mention for the perview of the LImehouse Golum - Cant wait for that!

Worst:-

1/The Love Witch (controversial i know, but just not my cup of tea)
2/Red Christmas (cheese)
3/Cell (Oh Dear, if you want to make a zombie film, try Train to Busan)
4/Directors Cut (Great idea, but went on too long, one joke film)
5/Jonny Frank Garrets last word (Had high hopes for this, but just didnt get it)
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Train to Busan
Pet
My Father Die

[This is the middle. Everything else goes here]

Bottom
Blood Feast
Abbatoir
Director's Cut
wakko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by wakko »

1. We are the flesh
2. Under the Shadow
3. Train to Busan

Worst
Let's be evil
ThisisLukeOwen
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ThisisLukeOwen »

Top 5 (in no order)

Train to Busan
Pet
Director's Cut
My Father Die

Bottom 5 (in no order)
The Creature Below
Abattoir
Mercy
Cell
Found Footage 3D

I also had a few issues with the Superman logic in Monolith, but the film itself was fine. Honourable mentions that just missed out on the Top 5 go to Egomaniac, The ReZort, Cruel Summer and Master Cleanse.
Lights, Camera, GAME OVER!: From Console to Screen and Behind the Scene Stories of Hollywood - Pre-order Q1 2017

https://soundcloud.com/flickeringmyth
http://www.twitter.com/ThisisLukeOwen
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Top 5:

1. Man Underground
2. Beyond the Gates
3. Train To Busan
4. Another Evil
5. The Devil's Candy

Bottom 5:

1. Blood Feast
2. Red Christmas
3. Cell
4. Abattoir
5. Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word
Last edited by WraithApe on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

im interested in how marmite director's cut turned out to be, in a load of tops and bottoms.

i fully cannot comprehend liking white coffin though.
Persephone
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Persephone »

ian wrote:im interested in how marmite director's cut turned out to be, in a load of tops and bottoms.

i fully cannot comprehend liking white coffin though.
For me I kept waiting for Director's Cut to go much darker and it didn't. I kept waiting for him to start offing crew/director etc and it just went nowhere. As such it was completely one note - it was the film I thought Pet would be from the poster. It had some great dialogue but overall was pretty meh. I also hated how queasy the comedy was. I'm not a delicate flower but watching the guys in my row laughing themselves senseless over a battered Missi Pyle crying in her undies while handcuffed and forced under a freezing hosepipe shower was just not really my cup of tea.

I didn't hate White Coffin but I wouldn't go so far as to say I liked it.
hemi777
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by hemi777 »

Best Movies :

1/ Train to Busan
2/ The Neighbour
3/ Night of Something Strange
4/ Beyond the Gates
5/ Found Footage 3d
6/ Devil's Candy
7/ The Rezort
8/ FROM A HOUSE ON WILLOW STREET

Bad Movies

1/ Blood Feast
2/ Downhill
3/ Mercy
4/ Cell
5/ Let her Out
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Easily, the best frightfest in some time....

Top 10

1.Train To Busan (Yep, I cried, but what a bloody brilliant Classic)
2.Pet (Thought this would be a regulation abduction thriller, but loved its plot twists, and Dominic M was really superb in this)
3.Population Zero (Interesting, Bloody great acting, and seriously absorbing thriller)
4.White Coffin (Loved this, Exciting, and goes Martyrs dark at the end)
5.The Windmill Massacre (Great Modern Amicus style film, sequel please!)
6.Red Christmas (Was not billed as a Black Comedy, but I loved it)
7.The Rezort (Westworld with Zombies, Great Fun)
8.Monolith (This was tense, well acted, great location work)
9.Johnny Frank Garet's Last Word (Absorbing and unusual)
10.Sadako Vs Kayoko (As an asian equivilent of Freddy V Jason, really enjoyed it)

Worst 5

1.House Of Salem (Worst acting I have ever seen)
2.Cell
3.Bloodfeast (Utter rubbish, but fun in a shockwave darkside kind of way. And Grady out of Elm Street 2 looking so old now!)
4.Mercy
5.Let Her Out

Only regret was not opting for Cruel Summer. Everybody said this was a truly shocking film, and affected a lot of people. Will look out for this.

Well done Frightfest boys for an excellent event.
Buffalobill
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Buffalobill »

Top films (in no order)

Under the shadow
Beyond the walls
Found footage 3D
Population Zero
Train to Busan
My Father Die
Pet
Beyond the gate
Monolith
Siren

Only film I didn't enjoy was Here Alone.

So a strong year for me but mostly due to missing duds in the main screen to watch some great discovery films.
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

Persephone wrote: For me I kept waiting for Director's Cut to go much darker and it didn't... I'm not a delicate flower but watching the guys in my row laughing themselves senseless over a battered Missi Pyle crying in her undies while handcuffed and forced under a freezing hosepipe shower was just not really my cup of tea.
so you wanted it to be darker but then also found it too dark?
ThisisLukeOwen
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ThisisLukeOwen »

Persephone wrote:For me I kept waiting for Director's Cut to go much darker and it didn't. I kept waiting for him to start offing crew/director etc and it just went nowhere. As such it was completely one note - it was the film I thought Pet would be from the poster. It had some great dialogue but overall was pretty meh. I also hated how queasy the comedy was. I'm not a delicate flower but watching the guys in my row laughing themselves senseless over a battered Missi Pyle crying in her undies while handcuffed and forced under a freezing hosepipe shower was just not really my cup of tea.
I never expected it to go darker to be honest, it was played up as a comedy from the very start. Everything in the movie is played for yuks and nothing is taken seriously.

I'm also not sure that people were laughing because Missi Pyle was in her undies and forced to take a shower. That in itself is not funny. But in a comedy movie where its played for dark humour, the sheer madness and insanity of the scene in front of you can spark nervous laughter. Black comedy isn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed it.
Lights, Camera, GAME OVER!: From Console to Screen and Behind the Scene Stories of Hollywood - Pre-order Q1 2017

https://soundcloud.com/flickeringmyth
http://www.twitter.com/ThisisLukeOwen
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

ThisisLukeOwen wrote:I'm also not sure that people were laughing because Missi Pyle was in her undies and forced to take a shower. That in itself is not funny. But in a comedy movie where its played for dark humour, the sheer madness and insanity of the scene in front of you can spark nervous laughter. Black comedy isn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed it.
I think the joke in that scene was where she was unrestrained, but wouldn't play ball for Blount's direction, followed by an immediate jump cut to her sitting tied in a chair taking a shower. But like everything in Director's Cut (like the whole film itself, in fact) they dragged the joke on too long.
Diggler81
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Diggler81 »

ian wrote:
Persephone wrote: For me I kept waiting for Director's Cut to go much darker and it didn't... I'm not a delicate flower but watching the guys in my row laughing themselves senseless over a battered Missi Pyle crying in her undies while handcuffed and forced under a freezing hosepipe shower was just not really my cup of tea.
so you wanted it to be darker but then also found it too dark?

See I laughed at the fact the shower was just a shoddy hose connected to a cold tap which is as far from glamorous and sexy as it was in Blounts mind.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

Best:

Train to Busan
Pet
The Unkindness of Ravens
Devil's Candy
The Master Cleanse
Cruel Summer
The Neighbour

Honourable mentions for Beyond The Walls (because I fell asleep and missed some), Lost Solace (which I didn't find much horror in, but enjoyed very much despite a few plot holes) and The Evil In Us, which was let down by a truly dire additional sequence during the closing credits. Shame.

Worst:

Abbatoir - the only one I saw that I thought was genuinely awful. This years' Cherry Tree.
Shelley - nice to look at but unengaging and I fell asleep again
House on Willow Street - competent but pedestrian and should have been set in South Africa
Mercy - not terrible, just dull
Let's Be Evil - I didn't hate this either, but it was muddled and nothing really happened. I did think the glasses were done a lot better than in Jeruzalem.