2017 Venue

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

2017 Venue

Post by iomega »

We are delighted to be able to confirm that the Horror Channel FrightFest will be back at the Cineworld Empire Theatre, Leicester Square in London’s glittering West End for its banner 18th edition this August between the 24th and 28th the late summer Bank Holiday weekend. You can book your hotels/accommodation with complete confidence that your favourite UK fantasy and horror occasion is returning to the place you all loved the most.

Festival and day passes will be available from Saturday 1st July with single tickets later the same month. Ticket prices will be published in due course.

The Horror Channel FrightFest is where you will always find the unexpected, the surprising and the totally new.

We look forward to seeing you all on the Square for a fanfare of shock and awe, in inimitable FrightFest style.
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: 2017 Venue

Post by benj »

Very happy to hear this- I've really missed the place.

I'm not too familiar with the screen sizes since the refit however. I know there's the massive laser-projected IMAX screen and another slightly smaller screen but don't know about the sizes of the other screens. Any idea how things will work? Are you going to two main screens and use smaller screens for alternative film choices or some other arrangement?

Excited to hear the plans whatever you decide :)
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

Nice. The West End gives the festival the gravitas it deserves.

Not fussed about the other details; if I've got a seat with a screen in front of it I'm happy enough. :)
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Great news....going back home....even tho i did develop a soft spot for the shepherds bush venue
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Exciting news. Raises the prospect of the old Frightfest mass audience feel that I've missed these past three years. This is the new Empire Auditorium information from their website:

IMAX Screen
727 Luxury Seats
6 Wheelchair Spaces

Impact Screen
277 Luxury Seats
99 Balcony Seats
22 Bean Bags
(No Wheelchair Access)

Screen 2
304 Seats

Screen 4
96 Seats
2 Wheelchair Spaces

Screen 5
48 Seats

Screen 6
26 Seats

Screen 7
58 Seats
1 Wheelchair Space

Screen 8
48 Seats
1 Wheelchair Space

Screen 9
42 Seats
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

One massive request please (and three words): Discount Parking Deal!

Surely Q-Park or someone can cut us a deal for the weekend?
Gorehound
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Gorehound »

Ahhhhhhh good news for me.
I've never been to frightfest at the Empire and nows my chance to see were it evolved.
Have a great Glasgow and see you in the summer
"He`ll forgive them.He will forgive them and allow them into heaven, I cant live with that" :geek:
Twitter: zombieslew
MattP
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MattP »

Excellent news. I missed the last Frightfest (first ever since I started in 2002) but its great to be back in London. Looking forward to the lineup announcement in good time
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

ChrisReynolds wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:50 pm Impact Screen
277 Luxury Seats
99 Balcony Seats
22 Bean Bags
I'll pay half-price to sit on a bean-bag :p
argento1977
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by argento1977 »

I've a Premium Cineworld Unlimited card so I should get my festival pass for free.😃😃
Just joking, of course!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Anybody been in the IMAX screen? They can be quite oddly designed - the one at Waterloo has very steep seating, and the lower seats are way too close to the screen.

What's special (or 'special') about the Impact screen?

I'm guessing that the one-seat-for-the-whole-fest system isn't going to work this year...?
cineBAKA
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by cineBAKA »

I'm planning to go this year, but had a few concerns, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Weirdly, the toilet situation is my biggest concern, is there enough time to get to the toilets between a film ending and the next one starting, and perhaps also pick up a drink or something to eat? What are the toilets like in the Cineworld Empire Theatre, plenty of them?

I'm curious about lodgings too, I assume it would be better to stay close, but also more expensive. Am I fine just staying somewhere like Euston, a short ride away on the Tube, or will this likely make things more difficult?

It's looking likely I'll miss the Thursday, and perhaps some of Friday, depending how early films start showing. What kind of prices was the full package last year compared to day passes? I want to see a show too, and I'm wondering if it's better to maybe book 3 day passes, Sat / Sun / Monday, and see a show on Friday night if I'm missing part of Friday anyway. Or if it would still be cheaper getting the full pass. It's probably better to wait until the movies are announced before I start making plans though, but it would be nice to know a rough estimate of the prices to get my finances sorted.

Thanks, apologies if this is slightly off-topic.
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj »

jonbly wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 pm Anybody been in the IMAX screen? They can be quite oddly designed - the one at Waterloo has very steep seating, and the lower seats are way too close to the screen.
The Waterloo IMAX does indeed have a pretty steep rake to the seats but I think that's down to the squareness of the screen (i.e. it's very tall) presumably due to the fact everything's inside a roundabout. There's not the same space limitation in the Empire IMAX- it's a far more traditionally shaped screen and, from what I recall, the seats are staggered roughly halfway between that of your local flea pit and the IMAX Waterloo. It's certainly far less vertiginous- I'll say that much!

I sat somewhere near the back when I went so can't speak for the front row but they looked a few metres back from the screen and like you'd get some serious neck ache sat in them.
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

jonbly wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 pm Anybody been in the IMAX screen? They can be quite oddly designed - the one at Waterloo has very steep seating, and the lower seats are way too close to the screen.
Yep - I've been in the iMax screen at the Empire. It's been built in the space that was previously the floor section of the old Screen 1. The seats are on a steep rake now, but not as bad as, say, the Waterloo Imax. They are quite new, black leather-like, and in reasonably good condition.
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

cineBAKA wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:13 pm Weirdly, the toilet situation is my biggest concern, is there enough time to get to the toilets between a film ending and the next one starting, and perhaps also pick up a drink or something to eat? What are the toilets like in the Cineworld Empire Theatre, plenty of them?
Yes, plenty of time between films to pee, and the loos are sufficient (if a little grim). The breaks vary in length, but usually there's time to both go to the loo and go outside for something meaningful to eat.
cineBAKA wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:13 pmI'm curious about lodgings too, I assume it would be better to stay close, but also more expensive. Am I fine just staying somewhere like Euston, a short ride away on the Tube, or will this likely make things more difficult?
Should be fine. Have a look at the 2015 forum archive for the thread on accommodation, lots of options to look at for all price points.
cineBAKA wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:13 pmIt's looking likely I'll miss the Thursday, and perhaps some of Friday, depending how early films start showing. What kind of prices was the full package last year compared to day passes? I want to see a show too, and I'm wondering if it's better to maybe book 3 day passes, Sat / Sun / Monday, and see a show on Friday night if I'm missing part of Friday anyway. Or if it would still be cheaper getting the full pass. It's probably better to wait until the movies are announced before I start making plans though, but it would be nice to know a rough estimate of the prices to get my finances sorted.
I would wait until the films are announced and the 2017 pricing is confirmed.