Movies For August 2017 Fest

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Movies For August 2017 Fest

Post by STun »

Thought I'd get the ball rolling.

What's everybody hoping for, or think will be on in August?

Only things I can think of are;

1. IT remake - intrigued to see what this would be like
2. Killing Ground - another Aussie survival film which got some buzz for grizzly subject matter at Sundance
3. Safe Neighbourhood - home invasion with kids based at Xmas

Anything else that you would be interested in seeing?
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
MattP
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Movies For August 2017 Fest

Post by MattP »

I'm really hoping for Stephen King's IT. I am hyped as hell for that one. I am rereading the book and someone who has already seen a prescreening said it followed the book amazingly and is a real game changer, right up there with the older classic horror movies
Last edited by MattP on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Films I'd be the most excited about:
THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM (Juan Carlos Medina) - This has to be one of the most likely to play. It got a lot of positive reviews when it played at TIFF, Medina's film Painless played at the 2013 Frightfest, the screenwriter Jane Goldman attends Frightfest as an audience member, and the release date is 1st September, so the London Film Festival can't get it.
I AM A HERO ( Shinsuke Sato) - Japanese zombie action that won the Golden Raven for best film at last year's Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival.
SAFE NEIGHBOURHOOD (Chris Peckover) - Hollywood Reporter describes this as Home Alone meets Funny Games and it's picking up a lot of good reviews.
KARMA / ARBAT / ARPATTI (Kanittha Kwanyu) - Thailand's submission for the Best Foreign Film Oscar. A Buddhist-themed horror about a monk who falls in love with a village girl while dark secrets of the temple begin to manifest.

Other non-sequel films that could play:
MOM AND DAD (Brian Taylor) - Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair are affected by some sort of global plague that makes them try to kill their kids.
47 METERS DOWN (Johannes Roberts) - Roberts came to the 2016 Glasgow Frightfest with "The Other Side of the Door." Release date for the US is late June, so the timing looks about right.
AMOK (Vardan Tozija) - A bloody Macedonian film described in last year's Frightfest postcards as "a mix of FIGHT CLUB and SCUM... deserves a far wider audience".
HERETIKS (Paul Hyett) - Jacobean horror about woman taken to repent in a sinister monastery. They showed a clip of this at the 2016 Glasgow Frightfest.
PATIENT ZERO (Stefan Ruzowitzky) - Matt Smith is a man who can communicate with zombies and goes on a quest with Natalie Dormer to discover a cure. Pulled from Glasgow Frightfest due to changed release dates, that could be a sign it will be moved to the August festival as happened with Cell last year.
SKY SHARKS (Marc Fehse)- Nazi zombies on flying sharks. This has been in production for ages, but finally has a US release date for the beginning of September.
MOHAWK (Ted Geoghegan) - A historical horror about Native Americans battling American Soldiers.
MUSE (Jaume Balagueró) - Supernatural thriller from Frightfest regular Balaguero. Christopher Lloyd plays a literary professor who dreams about a girl and is drawn into "a terrifying world controlled by the figures who have inspired artists throughout time: The Muses." The Greek Muses are an interesting choice to build a horror movie around. Franka Potente and Joanne Whalley co-star.
THE BAD BATCH (Ana Lily Amirpour) - Amirpour's follow-up to the impressive A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. A love story set in a community of cannibals, the cast is amazing: Keanu Reeves, Jason Momoa, Jim Carrey, etc.
THE MONSTER (Bryan Bertino) - A mother and her daughter are chased by a monster when their car breaks down. This has been released in the US for a while, but has had positive buzz.
XX (Roxanne Benjamin, Karyn Kusama, St. Vincent, Jovanka Vuckovic) - An anthology of films from female film-makers.
THE DARK TAPES ( Vincent J. Guastini, Michael McQuown) - A found footage anthology.

Franchise films that could play:
ANOTHER WOLFCOP (Lowell Dean) - Reviews from Fantastic Fest seem to agree this improves on its predecessor, which was already not too bad. Would make a good choice for a midnight movie.
CULT OF CHUCKY (Don Mancini) - A direct follow-up to the entertaining Curse of Chucky, with the return of Jennifer Tilly.
SAW: LEGACY (The Spierig Brothers) - Tobin Bell is back as Jigsaw despite having died five films ago. This could be a misguided attempt to resuscitate the franchise, but the Spierigs did some good work on their previous films.
HALLOWEEN - Blumhouse and John Carpenter have taken the produce reins of the franchise, but this looks like it may still be in production for a while.
STAKE LAND 2 / THE STAKELANDER ( Dan Berk, Robert Olsen) - Already released in the US (premiered on the SyFy channel). Reviews have been mixed.
LEATHERFACE (Alexandre Bustillo, Julien Maury) - This has been on the shelf for ages so the omens don't look good for this one.
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

ChrisReynolds wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:23 pm SKY SHARKS (Marc Fehse)- Nazi zombies on flying sharks. This has been in production for ages, but finally has a US release date for the beginning of September.
if its made in time this is surely on since they filmed a sequence at frightfest where we all had to run out pretending sharks were attacking us. i think some frightfest people even made into the trailer i saw a bit back.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Nice list Chris! :)

Stake Land 2 and XX do have UK DVD releases fairly soon (3 April and 8 May respectively) but for the latter in particular there it wouldn't surprise me for there to be shown as part of a special slot (eg within part of a followup to 2016s Women In Horror?)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The BFI have posted Sight & Sound's round-up of the best films of the SXSW festival. A couple look like they would fit in well at Frightfest:

M.F.A. (Natalia Leite) - "A raped art student tracks down those who committed similar attacks on her friends and classmates, then despatches them with clumsy but lethal determination"

Tragedy Girls (Tyler MacIntyre) - "A pair of female high-school seniors who use social media to create a career for themselves as serial killers and set about offing rivals." MacIntyre directed Patchwork that was a hit at the 2016 Glasgow Frightfest.

Unmentioned in that Sight & Sound round-up, other interesting-looking horror from SXSW:
Madre (Aaron Burns) - A Chilean film about a pregnant woman who begins to suspect that her son and the nanny are plotting to do sinister things to her.
The Honor Farm (Karen Sloss) - Two couples leave their boring prom dance to go with a mysterious girl who has invited them to a party at an abandoned prison in the woods.
Game of Death (Laurence Morais) - A group of teens play a board game that causes them to die in gory fashion if they don't kill other people first.
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/04/appleca ... -aj-bowen/

barbara crampton and aj bowen and brea grant.. directed by a producer of john dies at the end and phantasm ravager. gotta be picked up if ready hasnt it
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I have now seen SAFE NEIGHBOURHOOD at the Brussels Fantastic Film Festival and can confirm it is excellent. It's also difficult to describe in detail without spoiling a lot of its surprises, so try to avoid reviews and trailers.

I also saw NAILS and TONIGHT SHE COMES, both of which are unexceptional but entertaining and would make good fits with the Frightfest line-up.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Nails has a release date in the UK of 16th June 2017, so don't expect to see this in the line up
Vice
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Vice »

Have a feeling that maybe WOODSHOCK will be on the schedule - no UK date announced and it's in the can. It's being distributed by A24 in the states and they've got a good decent track record for genre films (THE WITCH, GREEN ROOM, UNDER THE SKIN etc). Poster got released today. I bet I'm right!

Would love to see CREEP 2, it's finished shooting and the first was at FF in 2014. Might be ready just in time for August, but that would be a bit of a coup as it's not scheduled anywhere yet.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Vice wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:05 am Have a feeling that maybe WOODSHOCK will be on the schedule - no UK date announced and it's in the can. It's being distributed by A24 in the states and they've got a good decent track record for genre films (THE WITCH, GREEN ROOM, UNDER THE SKIN etc). Poster got released today. I bet I'm right!
September date announced for US, now with trailer -
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/woodsh ... 201813928/
Vice
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Vice »

sherbetbizarre wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 2:59 pm
Vice wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:05 am Have a feeling that maybe WOODSHOCK will be on the schedule - no UK date announced and it's in the can. It's being distributed by A24 in the states and they've got a good decent track record for genre films (THE WITCH, GREEN ROOM, UNDER THE SKIN etc). Poster got released today. I bet I'm right!
September date announced for US, now with trailer -
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/woodsh ... 201813928/
Sounds like it would be an appropriate time for a screening at FF then. Having watched the trailer though, I'm not sure it's as good a fit as I first thought - bit too arthouse and Lars von Trier, similar vibe to his film Melancholia. I'm intrigued.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Vice wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:12 pmSounds like it would be an appropriate time for a screening at FF then. Having watched the trailer though, I'm not sure it's as good a fit as I first thought
Yeah, looks like a Discovery Screen film, but with a Main Screen cast!
I'm intrigued.
Me too.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

This please...

Errementari – The Blacksmith and the Devil the feature debut of Basque country-born Paul Urkijo Alijo, produced by celebrated Spanish director Álex de la Iglesia.
Based on a Basque folk tale, ”Patxi herrementaria,” collected by priest, archaeologist and anthropologist José Migel de Barandiarán in 1903, the story is set in the Basque region in 1845, in a universe inhabited by mythological diabolic creatures, battling to capture the souls of the unwitting.

“It’s a Gothic horror demonic tale, with adventure and black humor. I intend to plunge the spectator into Basque folk fantastic imagery that I love so much.” Urkijo told Variety.
http://variety.com/2017/film/festivals/ ... 202428488/

argento1977
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by argento1977 »

Strong feeling that Limehouse Golem and Leatherface will be on.
It's hard to predict what else as the LFF does appear to have had a negative impact upon the films available for screening at both the August and Halloween events.