To Trailer or not?

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
Gorehound
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

To Trailer or not?

Post by Gorehound »

So with the line up revealed and my tickets sorted, Frightfest 2017 seems ready to complete my gore filled head hole in August for another year.

I'm just left with a very reoccurring dilemma....
Do I watch all the trailers before hand or just get in that seat and let it play?

I've done both before but am interested it what other frightfesters do and why?

Ps I'll probably end up watching a few when deciding on Disco options but am going to try and hold out for the majority.
"He`ll forgive them.He will forgive them and allow them into heaven, I cant live with that" :geek:
Twitter: zombieslew
nutzieone
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: To Trailer or not?

Post by nutzieone »

I'm adventurous! I tend to not read much about the films or watch too many trailers as I like to be surprised! Hubby usually choses what we watch and I must say I'm very rarely disappointed! But everyone is different. I do love trailers, don't get me wrong but sometimes I just like the element of surprise! haha!
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

I always try to know as little as possible before walking in, but that applies only to the main screens. I will do some trailerage for a handful of Disco films that look the best to me, then decide if I'm prepared to miss the main screen offering at the same time. Having seen the trailers after the movies I suspect I'd have walked away from movies including Train to Busan and Pet if I'd gone by the trailers and they were my pick of last year.

I am a bit weird, though, in the sense that I like the fact that FF allows me to be driven by other people's tastes, unfiltered by my own prejudice. I know many people want to be much more actively involved in the selection.

I don't think there's a better thing than being really surprised by how much I liked a film that I knew nothing about.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

As above, I only trailer films where I'm unsure which one to pick.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Yeah. Same here. Go in knowing as little as possible. Often I'll wait til the day itself before reading the programme notes to get an idea of what I'm about to watch. Which obviously means I spend most of my time in the main screen rather than the disco screens. Although in Duke Mitchell's case you've got a good idea what to expect anyway so I just get a ticket for that regardless :D
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

ALAP (as little as possible) always. That said, I'll watch trailers for big things like Chucky because I doubt it's going to misrepresent the overall film like some trailers can.
cineBAKA
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by cineBAKA »

I have already trailer'd. :D Not everything, just a few things that caught my eye that have trailers available, a lot that interests me still does not. It's my first time, and I'm really excited and want to get the best I can out of it. While not wholly representative, I often find trailers more often than not more representative than a synopsis or poster, and I want to be realistic with my Discovery applications (I still really don't know how it works yet). Already I see potential clashes, which is a little annoying. I want to see Redwood (it looked self-aware and entertaining), but don't want to miss anything on the main screen on the first day. I hope there'll be another chance to catch it. I should really just be patient and wait until everything is announced and has a time and try to work things out from there.

For those trailer'ing, the Sequence Break trailer is amazing!
The Film Gruimp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by The Film Gruimp »

When I went to the Glasgow event, all I knew about the films was what little the site said about them. I didn't look at the trailers at all. I found it to be more enjoyable, the less known about the films the better. Same at my local event.

As for London, I'll be doing the same again.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

I agree the best way to go into the event is knowing as little as possible about the films. I have done this all my career as a film programmer and yes I have had to sits through many dogs, bit also made some amazing discoveries that other avoided cause the listened to others or watched the trailer and dismissed.
The Film Gruimp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by The Film Gruimp »

iomega wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 pm I agree the best way to go into the event is knowing as little as possible about the films. I have done this all my career as a film programmer and yes I have had to sits through many dogs, bit also made some amazing discoveries that other avoided cause the listened to others or watched the trailer and dismissed.
Agreed. Case in point in Glasgow, Hounds Of Love. Knew little going in and saw one of the most chilling and disturbing films I've seen for some time.
SarahSmiley
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by SarahSmiley »

I just watched all the available trailers, most are pretty decent and give a good vibe for the film, with a few that are just sort of meh. Don't feel like I'm spoiled for anything, if anything I'm more hyped about a few films than I was before.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Im going to 'Not Trailer' i tried this last year with the movies i was unaware it was good going in cold so to speak.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

I've read all the Synopsis and watched as many trailers as I could find, I'll now be skipping almost half the main screen movies to see discovery films. Also some I thought sounded very boring are some of my must sees after watching the trailers. Just check out the trailer for Lowlife, the synopsis sounded like some average crime goes wrong movie the trailer looks funking mental. I always watch the trailers and read the synopsis now make my desicions, then forget about it until opening night.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

I'm with the 'no trailer' crowd - typically avoid 'em the plague as they so often contain key scenes and spoilers. Going in as blind as possible is the best way to avoid prejudice and expectations IMO. I've managed to avoid a few stinkers at past FFs just based on the synopses. Lowlife sounds like it could go either way and it's not one I was planning to avoid. Alone is one of the few I've earmarked as a definite skip at this stage; reading the synopsis, it sounds like it could be similar to the toe-curlingly bad After from a few years back, which was signposted like Las Vegas boulevard.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Deffo trailer. Have watched all the trailers I could find and has made me look forward to things I wasn't bothered about before (alone, death note, our evil maybe) and conversely, I'll probably skip a few now like the terror of hallow's eve and imitation girl, where I liked the sound of them on paper but didn't really get on with the trailer.