A question about merchandise and Autographs/signing sessions

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
darklantern
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

A question about merchandise and Autographs/signing sessions

Post by darklantern »

I'm asking more for a friend who's coming into town for his first FrightFest, my first one was last year. (My mate will get there a few hours before me, so it'd be cool for him to know in advance.)

When I went last year, I spoke to a few people from the Horror scene and had a chat, but they were in "civillian" mode, ie walking round as fellow guests in a fan capacity.

This year, as it's back in Leicester Square, I was wondering are there planned signing sessions? Particularly for the US guests who don't make it over here that often. My mate wants to meet Kane Hodder and preferably have a photo/autograph, but he can't make the Conversation on the Sunday, but will be in London for the Saturday (26th) for Hatchet and To Hell And Back. Will there be signing sessions before/after the movies beforehand, and is there a way of knowing how much it will cost for a photo/autograph?

Also, last year there was a cool movie/merch stall (Arrow Video, I think) that was in the venue at Shepherd's Bush. Since this year FrightFest is back in Leicester Square, will that mean all the stalls are located at the main venue at the Cineworld, or will each venue/screen have stalls/stuff for sale relevant to the movies showing at that specific screen? Thanks if anyone knows.
E.Farrugia
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: A question about merchandise and Autographs/signing sessions

Post by E.Farrugia »

With regards to merchandise stalls the Arrow stall will be back as normal. This year all the stalls will be together and in one place at Cineworld. Unfortunately there is limited room at The Prince Charles cinema so there will be no stalls there - Emma
Last edited by E.Farrugia on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

darklantern wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:46 amThis year, as it's back in Leicester Square, I was wondering are there planned signing sessions? Particularly for the US guests who don't make it over here that often. My mate wants to meet Kane Hodder and preferably have a photo/autograph, but he can't make the Conversation on the Sunday, but will be in London for the Saturday (26th) for Hatchet and To Hell And Back. Will there be signing sessions before/after the movies beforehand, and is there a way of knowing how much it will cost for a photo/autograph?
There have never been signing sessions in the past that I can remember, except when Dario Argento was signing copies of his book. The guests, as you say, mingle with the fans so it would most likely be a case of being able to ask if they were able to sign something. Charging for autographs/photos with talent has never been the norm at Frightfest and TBH I would hate to see this aspect of "conventions" creep in to what is the most friendly and inclusive horror event you could hope to attend.
E.Farrugia
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by E.Farrugia »

There are no planned signing sessions - Emma
darklantern
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by darklantern »

Thanks for the replies, I saw Jake West and Kim Newman last year and got my copy of Video Nasties signed, wasn't sure how it was with guests from abroad, it's good to know there's a chance of seeing a lot of the other Horror celebrities just wandering around. I also saw a lot of directors, writers, etc, hanging around after movie screenings to talk with the audience. Thanks also for the info about the Arrow stall, it's a good opportunity to browse and pick up some obscure titles, there tend to be some cool people hanging around there as well. Have to agree also that despite its increasing size/popularity, there's still a strong fan vibe about the Fest as opposed to feeling overly formal/commercial, which is one of the enjoyable things about it.
argento1977
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by argento1977 »

Frightfest never have paid autographs. Generally it's just a case of walk up to the star before and/or after the movie and ask for an autograph ( unless the organisers rush them away). Last time Kane attended he was hanging around as a guest at the food counter, etc.as well so it was easy to get him to sign stuff on several occasions that year.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Some of the guests also go to the Phoenix after their films have shown.

Though trying to have a conversation, say for example with the Israeli cast/crew of Big Bad Wolves over rather loud music when most around are in drink, does have amusing outcomes.
mondodan
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by mondodan »

I think most of the guests over the years know the deal... there really isn't much of a separation between talent and fan, unless it's someone like Robert Englund or Argento. I've never known any director/star be anything other than cool about being approached in the foyer, Phoenix or the Imperial after a movie, although it does take some getting used to when you realise you're standing next to Tony Todd at the bar, both waiting to be served (he got noticed before me ;)
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

mondodan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:51 am there really isn't much of a separation between talent and fan
Case in point last year, when I came back from the loo in the Phoenix to find Barbara Crampton had joined the group I was with. :eek:
KrisK
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by KrisK »

It's a nice part to FF that guests and fans get to mingle and talk between films. I've never been star struck but I'd imagine it's a great thing if you want to meet your movie idols to be in that environment.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

DJBenz wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 pm
mondodan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:51 am there really isn't much of a separation between talent and fan
Case in point last year, when I came back from the loo in the Phoenix to find Barbara Crampton had joined the group I was with. :eek:
It seems you had been Replace [d] !
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

I know, this is what i love about FF. Went to the quiz last night and Barabra Crampton came a set right next to me.

Such a happy bunch, arent we?