Jackals

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Jackals

Post by jonbly »

5/10 - Too many jackals spoiled the broth on this one... little tension to be generated when the ending is inevitable. A bit flat anyway.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Jackals

Post by Jon H »

A home invasion movie that would have benefited from rather more home invasion and less of the world's stupidest family taking a inordinate amount of time to argue/cry/work through their neurosis. A genuinely unnerving first 20 mins gets Jackals 5/10 but it sadly fell apart after that.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Bit meh for me. Started promisingly but then faltered - obvious what the outcome was going to be.
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by hingethunder »

I was rooting for the cult members to be honest
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I loved the opening which had plenty of action and swapped genres before settling down on one, but I agree with the comments about the characters being stupid / unlikeable, while I felt there were some missed opportunities to really make an impact
Spoiler:
e.g. the filmmakers eschewed the chance to have a memorable immolation death.
Still, I liked the Jackals and would be interested in seeing them again in a new story. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Perfectly competent, but not very good. Annoying witless characters, and nobody to root for. The baddies looked cool in their masks but that was about it.
Spoiler:
Once the sheer number of cultists became apparent it was obvious they didn't have a hope in hell, especially as they were totally unprepared. Then it just became a dull exercise of waiting to see how and when each of them would die. The answers were not very interesting or surprising.

Stephen Dorff, who was supposed to be the expert on all of this, was an idiot. Oh, there's a cultist, I think i'll wander off into the woods with a tiny torch by myself... fuck me, I'm surrounded ! His dying words - 'I underestimated them', you think ?
Just made me want to watch the far superior You're Next again.