Goodbye. Doesn't feel like FrightFest anymore.

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Goodbye. Doesn't feel like FrightFest anymore.

Post by FranksWildYears »

Vice wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:56 pm For me, the last true great FrightFest was 2014 - films like THE GUEST, THE BABADOOK, THE GREEN INFERNO, CREEP, COHERENCE and several others - all big, hyped films that had a real sense of anticipation about them.
2014 also had the fondly remembered Shockwave Darkside 3D, as well as the likes of Xmoor and Lord knows how many I slept through and have long forgotten. I hated Coherence.

Lots of the line up that year weren't quite horror - whatever that is - too; Faults, R100, Sin City 2, The Signal for a start. Every year has hits, misses and variety is what's important to me. I think Faults, Show Pieces and The Canal were my favourites that year so not exactly the headliners, and last year I enjoyed Low Life and 68 Kill especially - both also 'not-quite-horror'.
ChrisReynolds wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 pm Edit: This thread should probably be merged into a general "Discuss the lineup" thread.
Agreed, especially when one had been posted not half an hour before this. Enough with the drama.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

FranksWildYears wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm
ChrisReynolds wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 pm Edit: This thread should probably be merged into a general "Discuss the lineup" thread.
Agreed, especially when one had been posted not half an hour before this. Enough with the drama.
Nah, I'll leave this as the moaning thread, the other one can be positive. :D
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

ChrisReynolds wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:11 am
Whiptail wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:34 pm
valido wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 pm
Also: Upgrade is 100% mainstream.
Could you tell me why its mainstream? Ive never heard of it and has none to little hype preceeding it. What makes something mainstream?
Well, it's a Blumhouse production, the popular Leigh Whannell writes and directs, and it will get a cinema release. Like many of these low-budget productions, advertising will probably only ramp up two or three weeks before release.
I see! Thank you for clarifying, I see now what you mean. Still looking more and more forward to the other films, especially Possom.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Much like Total Recall, it is you that is the same each time you take a trip.

I've never researched any of the films that are screening and in days gone by when you had to get up early to queue to get Discovery tickets they day the films were screening, I'd read the programme spiel and see which best suited my tastes Main vs Disco.

Nowadays, a bit more discretion is needed so I see what people are talking about, get the tickets and then still read up on them and if I don't like the sound of them, return the Disco ticket to the box office.

Oddly, Coherence was one of the few films that I've actually gone along too on the strength of a days hype (Mr. Emris mainly) and I was lucky to get a ticket just before it showed. Still a standout for me after all these years/films.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

This year will be my 14th Frightfest - didnt go when it was held in Shepherds Bush as I didnt fancy spending a weekend there - and in every one so far there have been a mixture of excellent, good, bad, so bad theyre memorably funny and downright awful. Ive often found that movies that were unknowns and didnt look that good on paper turned out to be the movies I enjoyed the most and the most hyped up the ones I thought sucked big balls. The thing that really annoys me these days - in a good way - is that there are so many movies now I cant physically be in the same places two or three times to see them all.
SarahSmiley
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by SarahSmiley »

I'm really excited about this year, there's so many movies that look great I just wish in a few places I could be in multiple screens at once because there's so many clashes.

Also I'e heard that The Ranger is great and is probably gonna go down an absolute storm.

2014 was my first FF, but not on a pass, that would be 2015, and honestly I think there's been some absolute treasures each year that I've been. 2015 had Turbo Kid and We Are Still Here, 2016 alright the location was awkward, but I enjoyed the heck out of Beyond the Gates and Sadako vs Kayako, and it ended on Train to Busan which was absolutely brilliant, and last year that massive screen was so much fun to watch Cult of Chucky on and Tragedy Girls was a blinder to go out on.

TBH although I was rooting for The Little Stranger to be there opening night, I'd rather FF have these quirky films that are fun to discover and that we're not gonna get a chance to see elsewhere than big tentpoles that we'll see in a couple of months anyway.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I always find that I get surprised by a film at frightfest.

There’s always the ones that people are raving about and wanting to see eg Halloween remake or Suspiria (me included).

And then it’s generally something shown in the afternoon (eg lowlife, let the right one in, the signal - the one with the tv signal directed by three different people), or a midnight movie (eg maniac - which was shown after tulpa) that come out of nowhere and knock it right out the park.

But you can’t beat watching a film with the frightfest audience!

I personally enjoy the so bad it’s good/funny experiences like Tulpa, Mirrors, and Giallo with a frightfest audience.

#shesahermaphrodite
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

The last few years haven't looked great on paper, but there have been some movies that turned out to be corkers. Yes, we would've liked the Suspiria remake and the new Halloween (And we've all crossed fingers for a Carpenter appearance for years); but despite that, I think that this year's line up looks pretty impressive (apart from Climax), and I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, if a few people not bothering anymore, means that I get the decent seat that I did, then all the better!!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Listening to Paul's comments on the Evolution of Horror podcast, he mentions that he hasn't seen the new Suspiria or Halloween. So maybe Frightfest doesn't fit with their release strategy or they're still tinkering with the films.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

STun wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:30 pm the signal - the one with the tv signal directed by three different people
Oooh I freaking love that film, there's so much mystery in it, especially the very subtle references as to the lore outside of the films. I love films with a background mystery in them, like no one knows the cause of the zombies in Romeros films.

Aaaaanyway, remember theres still a couple of TBA films in there. We might be lucky still!
wakko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by wakko »

I understand where you are coming from but I must say that it is not fair to compare the programme with BFI's LFF. They have a different budget and it is way more mainstream. I am fortunate to live in London, so it's the perfect combo - Frightfest feels more underground and has a more sociable community (although unfortunately me and my friend haven't been able to connect with many in our 6 years). LFF I plan my schedule with great effort, as it is quite expensive as well. Frightfest I go in blind with an open mind to watch average entertaining flicks, b-movies and films that you can enjoy watching with the audience (Hatchet 3 was such an amazing experience last year - even though it is a genre I wouldn't enjoy at home on DVD). The great thing is, when you discover a great film at Frighfest, it really sticks out. PS: Even Michael Blyth (cult programmer) for BFI LFF hangs around Frighfest.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Suspiria - with it's Oscar-nominated director and November release date - was always going to be a LFF movie (expect to pay £20 for "gala screening")

And we're probably a bit too early for Halloween (ironically at a fest showing a few Xmas movies!)
Vice
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Vice »

What about MANDY, which is showing at BIFFF, Bucheon and the NZ Film Festival (all July festivals), and has a release date of September? Can't see that being at LFF due to the release date, and can't see why it won't be at FrightFest when it's at two competing genre festivals a month before.

Also THE NUN...release date is 7 September in the UK - positioned perfectly for FrightFest just over a week earlier, and directed by previous FF alumni Corin Hardy (who directed THE HALLOW which was at FF a couple of years ago).

Mystery why they aren't in the lineup. But yeah, I think I've made my point.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

I have thought that the two previous years have looked a little weak on paper but I’ve still had a great weekend. I actually think though this year looks much better than it has for a few years. Even though Arrow has acquired Climax I was still expecting that to go to LFF so that is a definite scoop. Likewise, there’s lots of films that I’ve heard of in the line-up that I like the look off: Upgrade, Possum, Piercing, Summer of 84, Puppet Master, Field Guide, Witch in Window, Tigers are Not Afrid, What Keeps You Alive but also loads of decent sounding stuff I’ve never heard of: Tokoloshe, Man Who Killed Hitler, Terrified, Braid, Most Assassinated Women. Two of the best films from last year were Dhogs and Our Evil, both totally under the radar. I have felt there were too many comedy/silly movies last couple of years but seems less this year and they are a bit more in the margins of the programme. I think this year looks really goood on paper.
wakko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by wakko »

Vice wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:14 am What about MANDY, which is showing at BIFFF, Bucheon and the NZ Film Festival (all July festivals), and has a release date of September? Can't see that being at LFF due to the release date, and can't see why it won't be at FrightFest when it's at two competing genre festivals a month before.
As a big fan of "Beyond the black rainbow" (as profile pic implies) I must say that I am gutted it is not showing at Frightfest - it probably would burry all films beneath it.