2018 Lineup Announced

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: 2018 Lineup Announced

Post by jonbly »

DJBenz wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:20 am What are the chances of two films with Laplace in the title within 12 months of each other?
Used to happen a fair bit - though I don't recall it in the horror genre.
Thinking of the Columbus movies in 1992, or the Wyatt Earp movies in 1993/4...
At a glance, though, this one seems like a fluke.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Alex J wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 pm Was there a newsletter to announce the line-up? I don't seem to have received one even though I completed the recent GDPR email. Still, thanks to DJ Benz I can read the lengthy note and start plotting disco films!
I've seen nothing, either. Luckily it turns out that my goldfish memory can hold exactly one thing - the time and date for FF tickets.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

jonbly wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:18 pm
Alex J wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 pm Was there a newsletter to announce the line-up? I don't seem to have received one even though I completed the recent GDPR email. Still, thanks to DJ Benz I can read the lengthy note and start plotting disco films!
I've seen nothing, either. Luckily it turns out that my goldfish memory can hold exactly one thing - the time and date for FF tickets.
I definitely didn't get one but I'm not certain I did the GDPR email either.

I'm finding clashes already, although not too many and I'm keen to hear what the handful of not yet announced films will be. I only have one slot where there's really nothing I'm that bothered about and even then if I'm not bothered about a break the main screen one (He's Out There, I think) looks watchable or nappable. It'll be a tough call to skip Upgrade if the Disco one looks better but I suspect it'll pop up elsewhere.

Last year I think I had two slots like that and I remember I skipped most of one afternoon because there was nothing that appealing and I was tired. I think Field Guide To Evil is in a good slot for that - I'm always flagging a bit by Monday lunchtime so an anthology means I don't have to follow a plot for too long.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

Luckily, theres not much clashing for me this year. Not only am I being more careful about what I pick, Im also not filling every time slot, to give me enough time to sleep more and get some better food than cinema natchos (That I dropped last year and had to just eat the cheese on its own. Dont do that, its not nice or fun!).

The only one that is clashing is Terrified and Await Further Instructions. Ive gone for AFI, as it hits more of my buttons.

I look forward to see if the TBA ones throw a spanner into the works.
staineve
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by staineve »

Against my better judgement, I actually really want to see Bad Samaritan (hello robert sheehan! hello david tennant!) so am bummed that it clashes with Summer of 84 cos I want to stay in the main screen for the first day at least. Overall though I reckon the lineup looks better than the last few years (I skipped hammersmith entirely and could only do a day last year so I would say that).

High hopes for: Possum, Most Assassinated Woman, Braid, Tokoloshe, Terrified...

also lol @ the 'goodbye' thread
twitter: @staineve
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

The line up looks decent. I've got loads of classes to contend with but thats because I find myself taking more of a punt in discovery screens.

Tokoloshe, Possum, Bodied, Book of Monsters, Rock Steady Row, One Cut of the Dead, Piercing, St Agatha, The Night Eats The World, Secret Santa and of course Tigers Are Not Afraid are all discovery films that look good….I’m sure some won’t be but I need to figure out which ones.

The main screens all generally seem decent says tho as usual but I don’t know enough about at least 2 films per day to get overly excited for a kick ass day.

Be interested to read peoples main screen picks not including; the opening day, Climax Incident in a Ghost Land, Upgrade, The man who killed hitler... and Puppet Master: Littlest Reich. If there are recommendations, please shout!
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

The line up looks really strong this year. That said, I really don't fancy 'Climax'. A shame it's on last, as there's nothing to see as an alternative. Then again, I guess it would be confusing if it was on mid-way through, considering the title.

Bizarrely, I'm really intrigued by the Hitler/Bigfoot, Sam Elliot lark. Perhaps because I recently saw Road House again.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

Whiptail wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:10 pm The only one that is clashing is Terrified and Await Further Instructions. Ive gone for AFI, as it hits more of my buttons.
That's one of my clashes, and I still can't make up my mind - I suspect Terrified will pop up elsewhere but I really want to see it and don't know if I want to take the risk that it won't. Braid/Bluebird is another.
Lunny68 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:58 pm I really don't fancy 'Climax'. A shame it's on last, as there's nothing to see as an alternative. Then again, I guess it would be confusing if it was on mid-way through, considering the title.
No, me neither. I might even bow out early but I don't like missing the goodbyes - the worst thing about always sitting in the middle is that it's difficult to walk out when it's busy and I always feel bad about disturbing other people (which is dumb, because provided people in front of/along the row from me have been quick and purposeful when they've done it, it doesn't bother me in the slightest) :).
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Pimped appears to have been replaced by TBC
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

Alex J wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm Pimped appears to have been replaced by TBC
Yep, They stated that film wasnt finished in time so its had to be replaced.

Had it on my original list as well.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently we have four TBC slots

PRINCE CHARLES DISCOVERY TWO
FRIDAY 24 AUGUST 2018 - 1.45pm

CINEWORLD DISCOVERY SCREEN
FRIDAY 24 AUGUST 2018 - 6:45pm

CINEWORLD DISCOVERY SCREEN
SATURDAY 25 AUGUST 2018 - 9:15pm
SATURDAY 25 AUGUST 2018 - 11.00pm

Also no listing for director Roxanne Benjamin exclusive screening of FINAL STOP.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

scarebear wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:50 pm
Alex J wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm Pimped appears to have been replaced by TBC
Yep, They stated that film wasnt finished in time so its had to be replaced.

Had it on my original list as well.
Thanks! I must have missed the announcement it had been pulled!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

Any idea whats going in those gaps? New stuff, or repeats of the other films showing so we can see some of the ones we had to miss?
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

I should imagine they will be Interviews. Since guests will be announced on the 19th of July

Previous year Kane Hodder and Barbara Crampton.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Phil Newton
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Phil Newton »

There's now a second showing of Bad Samaritan on Sat at 6.45pm in PCC 2, with Seeds now taking the 9pm slot in the Cineworld disco screen.

There could still be a further slot added on Mon at PCC 2 at 6pm too I'm guessing?