Braid

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Braid

Post by jonbly »

5/10 - Tried to do something interesting, but ended up just too pretentious. Same problem as Shrooms - I don't really know how much of the movie actually happened.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Braid

Post by Alex J »

Where do I begin with this delirious, visually striking cornucopia of drug-induced and dreamlike sequences? Lots to like in this exploration of the descent into madness, and the leads do well in their roles too. The plot is engaging, although the film does get too pretentious at times. Not sure if I "got" the ending, if there was indeed anything to get? 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Pretentious pile of poo 💩 for me I’m afraid.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

2/10. Histrionic bollocks about three sisters - three strands of the braid - who for no apparent reason, come together every few years to play out a mildly sadomasochistic game of doctor in an old mansion. It's not terribly shot but I couldn't stand the stylistic choices - turning the camera upside down every five minutes and shooting everything with pink and purple filters does nothing to disguise the paucity of plot.
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

Loved every confident minute of this amazing debut feature... One hell of a visual journey... BRAID is Alice through the looking glass, but with no way back.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I missed out on a ticket for Bluebird so wound up in this instead and wished I hadn't. I didn't mind the idea of the three childhood friends playing a weird game in a big crumbling house, but it was like being forced to watch an A level film studies project and the shaky purple bits especially were torturous. Awful.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Although it was incomprehensible, other than a feeling that nothing was real and this was a game they were doomed to play over and over again, it was imaginative and full of striking, beautiful images. Definitely a film I would like to see again.
Donut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Donut »

Was a load of old bollocks.
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

I thought it was half a good movie. It really did fall apart towards the end, to the point that I couldn't tell you how it ended, because I'd lost interest.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Budget Jennifer Lawrence, budget Jessica Chastain and budget Kristin Davis (though you could probably get the real one cheap enough since that Sex and the City money has dried up) scream at each other in a sea of purple and upside down camera work.

My least favourite of the festival.