films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Seen chunks of POTC2 today at work (ice cream/keeping an eye on them), which while busy (heaving tonight) was nothing like as busy as the £2.3million reported figure would imply (which is sell out every show), am now officially worried... (Da Vinci Code and X Men 3 both edged it in terms of numbers of bums on seats here so far this year)... have to comment on the quality of the special effects, which is nothing short of astonishing! Extremely well balanced and it all just fits together nicely, which helps sustain the suspension of disbelief... can only hope the final cut of Superman Returns has improved its effects hugely over the trailers or it just won't compare, which being an even longer film the loss of suspension of disbelief will hurt it...

Also a good dose of humour in there, which is going down well... see what you mean about the Empire Strikes Back vibe too!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Bearing in mind the original Japanese film was released under it's original title Ju-On, why have they released the sequel as The Grudge 2 and not as Ju-On 2? Isn't that just going to get very confusing when the real The Grudge 2 (Hollywood version) gets released in October? Anyone going into the cinema this week expecting a sequel to the Sarah Michelle Gellar film is going to be in for a nasty surprise... subtitles!

Btw, does anyone know if the Hollywood sequel is going to be a remake of the Japanese sequel, or are they going to go off in a different direction, as happened with the Ringu / The Ring sequels?

:?
First things first, stay calm.
videodrome
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by videodrome »

I have to say, I'm not overly excited about 'The Grudge 2' as I feel both the original & the US version promised a lot, but delivered a little, some nice scenes with the strange boy, but overall dissapointing. I felt that similar SPOLIER: Actually already dead type issues were explored far more creepily in Tale of Two Sisters.
And the black hair, water theme is sadly passe now due to overkill in Dark Water (appalling US version) Ring (inc. original/s.) just how many dire spin offs can this premise push out??
Thoughts anyone? :wink:
Its a trick. Get an axe.
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

I do agree, we seem to be seeing far too much hair and pasty 'clickity click' dead people, but it does seem to work in Grudge 2. Not the best film, but good and creates quite a bit of tension, awesome sound!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 last night.

What a disappointment. There was too much talking and not enough action. There were some funny moments. They were few and far between. It was long film. Which 30 minutes could of be edited out.

Thought the story was not really that interesting. I noticed there lots of children in the cinema getting restless and so was I.

Shame!!! The first Pirates film was very entertaining and kept me engrossed but not the 2nd one. Even though Johhny Depp is in it :?
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Yesterday was Old Black-And-White Cheapo Public Domain DVD Day.

The Bat (1959) - Old dark house stuff with Vincent Price, a masked killer, a spooky old house full of secret rooms, thunderstorms AND a suspicious butler. It's a bit hokey but I quite enjoyed it. Banned in Finland, according to the IMDb.

Atom Age Vampire (1960) - Produced by Mario Bava! Amusing enough nonsense in the mad scientist territory of The Awful Dr Orloff and Les Yeux Sans Visage. Strangely, the IMDb suggests "If you like this title, we also recommend..." John Carpenter's THE THING! Not even close.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Today was also Old Black-And-White Cheapo Public Domain DVD Day.

Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959) - junky monster rubbish from Roger Corman. Not very good, but like Attack of the Crab Monsters I suppose it's a film true, true genre fans have to see....

The Screaming Skull (1958) - the old driving-the-new-wife-mad-to-claim-the-inheritance routine. Like yesterday's Atom Age Vampire, there's another creepy gardener in this one. The final reel is quite impressive, and the DVD actually includes one of those old "you may be frightened to death" trailers. The cast includes one Russ Conway, but apparently it's not the smiling easy listening piano legend of the 50s Russ Conway.
gegsuranus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by gegsuranus »

Pirates of the Carribbean - Very, very. very. good effects, very, very, very bad plot. I know that the initiative behind the sequels is to create more and more money, but do they have to insult us at the same time. They might put a bit more effort in concealing the fact that the purpose of the entire movie is to set up for the next one. The action scenes were excellent though.
F**k me gently with a chainsaw!
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

I was looking forward to see Pirates Of The Carribean tomorrow, but the more I read on here the more my heart sinks!

There again, my family loved it and hopefully I can just switch off and bask in Jonny Depp for a few houras *swoon*

Shame he won't be there to protect me from the tentacles though! :shock:
DevilsKebab
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DevilsKebab »

Went to see Pirates last night and I thought it was good fun.
It ended like a season of Lost or Alias, but that's great.

My local cinema is in a marina so when I left the place I had an almost overwhelming urge to go steal a boat and go pirating around the Isle of White!

Trixy, I don't think you've been warned enough about the tentacles. Take a pillow along to hide behind if I were you...
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Argh the tentacles!

I had enough of them watching Old Boy last night, I've seen it before and forgotten about the octopus/squid scene, I was squirming for ages after that, all the wriggly sliminess out of his mouth.... *shudders*

If anyone does what my friends did last year and get me an octopus shaped anything (I had an under the sea themed party) for my birthday, or even just as a joke I will cry, LOTS.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

I'm sure there will be something lurking at the bottom of this years goodie bag just for you and your fear. Remember the sweets???
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Sweets? If this was last years then I wouldn't have a clue cos this year is my first one!
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

sweets and so much more. they were eyeballs, worms, brains etc... mmmm. I Look forward to the goodie bags and freebies. You be amazed.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

oh yeah..! The sweets were ace..!

Especially liked the brains - eat my brains indeed..!!!
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?