films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

videodrome wrote:And the black hair, water theme is sadly passe now due to overkill in Dark Water (appalling US version) Ring (inc. original/s.) just how many dire spin offs can this premise push out??
Thoughts anyone? :wink:
I have just come back from another disappointing sequel - The Grudge 2.

Seems like a pointless sequel with a flimsy plot. With at least 2 unintentionally humourous moments in it. The pasty boy is fleetingly creepy. While the breakdancing woman is becoming a figure of fun. The upside is good scary effects with voices and that strange rising throaty sound when the woman makes her appearance.

You might never know there could be a black wig in the goodie bag. When squeezed makes that throaty sound!!! :wink:
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

lupogirl wrote:You might never know there could be a black wig in the goodie bag. When squeezed makes that throaty sound!!! :wink:
So a dying cat then? :wink:

"EXCLUSIVE TO FRIGHTFEST PASSHOLDERS - goodie bags, with complimentary dying cat! Perfect for all your Ju-On spoofing needs - get 'em before they start to smell!"

:wink:

Sorry, in one of those moods tonight...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Watched Grudge 2 over the weekend. Remembered that I got it on DVD about a year ago and hadn't watched it yet. Must say I did enjoy it. Best bit was the banging wall... spooky. Soon there will be a remake and a third asian one. All by the same director..
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

Saw Fearless last night. Good film, though nothing remarkable. Ronny Yu composed a lot of nice shots and camera moves.

Typical morons in the audience who talked during the film, and even on a mobile at one point!! Audiences these days are fucking idiots!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Come back from seeing District 13.

A enjoyable chav gangsterish french film. Some great stunts. Short and sweet. With one of the characters reminding me of that chav bloke who won the lottery.

With two agile nice on the eyes chaps!!! :lol:
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's been a good few days. Got to see DISTRICT 13 last night ... it was alright, with some satisfyingly crunchy violence, but for some reason it didn't click with me. I was certainly expecting a showdown between the hero (Leoni?) and nutter gangster Taha and/or K2, and was disappointed when neither materialised. Entertaining nonetheless.

THE BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS (1961) isn't entertaining at all. Tor Johnson plays a defecting Russian scientist who wanders into an atom-bomb test and is turned into a hulking killer. Shot entirely without synchronised sound (any dialogue is spoken offscreen or by people facing away from camera etc), the film fills in the story with a hilariously deadpan narration. I'm beginning to discover why some of these movies end up in public domain - it's because nobody really wants the rights to the damned things.

And now that I've finally finished my script's first draft, I'm planning on taking the weekend off for a stack of (hopefully better) DVDs. Cinemas are full of Pirates and Superman, neither of which I'm desperate for just yet, though I will catch them sometime.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

district 13 does in fact rock... though its extremely shallow it moves at such a cracking pace that its probably a good thing..

metalstorm: the destruction of jared syn...aaaaaa this film deserves its place on the late lamented Bad Movies thread.. truly awful Charles Band atrocity... filmed in 3D with loads of scenes where you can yell "its 3D" as the camera lingers on twigs .... the whole film seems shot in the same quarry....you all need to see this film... on VHS with classicly bad pan and scan... its a bastard love child of a 3sum between Raiders of the lost ark, star wars and mad max in a hotel room rented by krull.. with added bonus of Tim Thomerson and Kelly Preston

Superman Returns.. its good for 2 hours then fizzles out once the climax is over... Spacey pales when compared to Hackman.. Routh is decent.... the effects are good enough.. the script is largely a re run of superman 1978.. even using several of the same lines... supermans initial return to earth is totally non descript.. but his "coming out" is very very stirring stuff.....
the "cute kid" is actually far far far less annoying than your usual kid in a sci fi flick... Bosworth should have been let play up the comedic elements of Lois...methinks the whole chick flick angle is largely due to the Spiderman movies which are almost laughable with regards to Spidey and his over the top brooding and self pity

superman is the superhero we would all like to be.. but i dont think many of todays youth will be captured by Singers interpretation..i think there will be far more Jack Sparrow wannabies...
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Well, Pirates 2 was more than twice as busy here today as the rather lacklustre attendance of Superman Returns, and getting a slightly more positive response - while noone particularly disliked either today, consensus was that other than the action Superman Returns was actually kinda cheesy! Will have to see if I can check some out tomorrow, didn't catch much today as icecream was due to the (apparently Singer-requested, according to our correspondence from WB) interval... did spot the fancy customised Superman intermission tags though, nice!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

AndyJWS wrote:Will have to see if I can check some out tomorrow, didn't catch much today as icecream was due to the (apparently Singer-requested, according to our correspondence from WB) interval... did spot the fancy customised Superman intermission tags though, nice!
I mentioned this at my local 'plex this evening and they're not putting an interval in.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Doesn't especially surprise me, cinemas with platter-type projection do so less irrelevant of feature length (I know of multiplexes that didn't include intervals in any of the LOTRs or King Kong, making for total butt-numbness and missing out on cool stylised elements) and having seen more of it today I'm less surprised it has been less popular over here than the US. It certainly doesn't look like a $200m+ movie, and some of the effects are really quite poor... characters seem to be a mixed bag (James Marsden's character handled well, but unfortunately seems to be at the cost of some of the character of Lois, who comes across as shallow and fickle) and while there are some neat tie-ins to the old films/comics there are also elements that jar nastily with the Superman universe... (am especially worried about future plans involving the kid, who I do agree is surprisingly unannoying!). Oh, and the end drags on so long you could think it was a latter-day Spielberg flick - except, as we've established, the kid isn't that irritating :wink:
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw Superman Returns yesterday and was very disappointed by it. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of superhero films, and Superman is probably one of my least favourites, but there was nothing in this new interpretation to alter my opinion. It's a well crafted film, obviously made with a lot of love, but I didn't think the performances were anything more than average and some of the sets/effects were poor. It felt far too long (much moreso that POTC) and there were too few thrills - even the plane scene annoyed me at the way Lois got thrown around inside, yet walked out with barely a hair out of place... The cinema was noticeably quiet for such a Summer blockbuster, don't know how it's doing generally??

I think I'll stick with Spider-Man!!
First things first, stay calm.
ScreamQueen
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ScreamQueen »

Ah, soulmining, you mention something about Superman Returns that bothered me, too. She would have been broken into pieces the way she was thrown around and around with such force in that plane. Like you say, not even a hair out of place. Jesus, not even a hospital check up scene confirming she's been amazingly lucky to justify her carrying on as if she;d only tripped in the street. Since when is Lois SuperLois? Bah. Coupled with her being knocked out, but upon regaining conciousness dives deep, deep, deep into the sea and pulls up a 6' 3" (or however tall he is) built bloke from the bottom. Is it a bird, is it a plane...? No it's rediculous! Let me guess, she absorbed some super powers from his supersperm?
[i][b]Behold the Metatron![/b][/i]
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Just come back from a press screening of Adrift.

Well, I can now see why it's called Open Water 2 in most territories...

Having said that, it's a very good film - better than Open Water - and I'm now hugely looking forward to seeing this film again with the FF crowd...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Bizarreness. The charmingly-titled NAKED MASSACRE (1976) is a Canadian psycho movie set in Belfast during the height of the running battles between the IRA and the British Army. A Nam vet stops off on his way back to the States and murders eight nurses in a house. Oddly, there appears to be no music score. It's not very good, slow to start, and rather sleazy.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just come back from seeing Superman Returns.

Saw this at the IMAX with 20 minutes of it in 3D. Some of the 3D sequences were quite effective and shame not all the flm was like that.

Thought there were some good effects and the acting passable. Agree with the comments about Kate Bosworth and her hair. Being thrown around the in the airplane and hair still in place. Must be great hairspray!!!! :wink:

The little boy was quite good not too cute. Brandon Routh did not have much screen presence and when he wears the glasses. He chillingly looks like Christopher Reeve!!!

Kate Bosworth did not bring much to the film aside a pretty face.