Hall

Discussion for all the 2020 Frightfest Events
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Hall

Post by jonbly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Long lockdown 'short' beforehand ("Day 14"?) was good. 8/10

But Hall itself spent a long time setting up a couple of the characters and then just... gone. There's only so much pointless crawling down a hallway that I can watch. Why does the girl think her father's pushing a trolley in the basement? Some nice close up shots.

There's a nice moment of dislocation in the lobby... but then they don't do anything with it.

And a long, long, rambling post-credits scene that adds absolutely nothing.

4/10

HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Hall

Post by HeadOnAStick » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:00 pm

I certainly didn't hate it and there's a lot of good 'craftsmanship' on display. Maybe I'm being over-critical but you can only really get away with long lingering building of tension if, eventually, something happens. It's one of those films, and I come across them from time to time, where I think the writing was weak and because of that it wasted some actual talent in the production. With that setup, that cast, that crew, there was a much better movie stuck in a filing cabinet somewhere waiting to be pulled out and shot. Still, enough good camera, makeup, performance, to make it just about OK.

It's a shame, this was a wasted opportunity.
5/10

DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:08 pm

jonbly wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:47 pm
Long lockdown 'short' beforehand ("Day 14"?) was good. 8/10

But Hall itself spent a long time setting up a couple of the characters and then just... gone. There's only so much pointless crawling down a hallway that I can watch. Why does the girl think her father's pushing a trolley in the basement? Some nice close up shots.

There's a nice moment of dislocation in the lobby... but then they don't do anything with it.

And a long, long, rambling post-credits scene that adds absolutely nothing.

4/10
Yes the short was very well done and the best part of the last couple of hours viewing. Hall itself I found ultimately disappointing - also I'm not sure if its just me but I was struggling to hear what the leads were actually saying for big chunks? Pretty forgettable in all unfortunately :eek:

Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Agree with much of what has been said already - after a good set-up and the establishment of some interesting character dynamics this seemed to run out of steam, becoming slow and feeling underdeveloped. It wasn't helped by some parts and character decisions not adding up as outlined above. Nor the far too quiet dialogue in places!

6 / 10
Last edited by Alex J on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

HisMajestyKingMob
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by HisMajestyKingMob » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:42 pm

Oddly, the short beforehand was fantastic and i would watch a feature of that movie...while Hall is abysmal and felt like a short that was dragged into feature length.

There was a moment where i was intrigued by the backstory of both of these women escaping abusive situations but they did absolutely nothing with the concept of any emotional weight or storyline.

The worst thing i've watched thus far, and i watched Sky Sharks.

2/10

The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:12 pm

I'm hoping for a sequel in which they crawl back along the same hall in the opposite direction.

WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

The Soapmaker wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:12 pm
I'm hoping for a sequel in which they crawl back along the same hall in the opposite direction.
:D Be careful what you wish for, we've already got a sequel to Blind on the way...

HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:31 pm

Blinder?

Or is it just the bit they forgot to include at the end of the film. That could be the beginning of a new trend. Release the first half of a movie and then sell the second half of it as a separate release. :)