FF23 film reviews

Everything you need to know about the Frightfest and our 2023 FrightFest events
walocka
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

FF23 film reviews

Post by walocka »

Hello all. Post all opinions of films here if you so feel inclined. Regards and respect to all who have shown their films.
Last edited by walocka on Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walocka
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: FF23 film reviews

Post by walocka »

With due respect to Joe Lynch I don't feel it was his strongest film. The actors were good although the wonderful Barbara C was 'restrained' but I'm sure this film didnt knew what it was supposed to be. Somewhat tepid, and I won't say it was great just because he is a supposed FF favorite. Shame none of them could make it also. 3/10. imho
walocka
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by walocka »

That's a Wrap is finally a wrap. Regrettably on of the worst films I've ever seen at Frightfest. Ham-fisted attemp at a slasher spoof horror movie commentary. 1/10
horrorkid78
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by horrorkid78 »

totally agree dude, it wasn't very good at all and I was looking forward to this, The Dive was way better than this
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

This was the same director of the Blood Feast remake right? I remember that getting plenty of (unintentional) laughs at Frightfest.
walocka
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by walocka »

Monolith and Transmission: Saturday showed 2 of the best films so far. Monolith was a clever, moody tale of impending apocalypse. The fact so much could be done with one actress in a large ozzie house as she listened to bizarre reports of black bricks is a testament to what you can do with film. Transmission was similar. Dispite its micro budget this was an ingenious film which I find difficult to exaplain in a sentence! Huge kudos to its director. Loved both of these.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Suitable Flesh

A reasonable start to the fest, with some genre favourites in the cast and crew, but the tone varied, at times like a TV melodrama but with kink, sex and gore thrown into this Lovecraftian tale. I'm not sure the film's internal logic and rules were always followed and the ending was predictable, but there was some fun to be had along the way.

6.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The Dive

Not as tense as Fall last year, but then what is? This is quite gripping in places and Drew was put through a satisfyingly gruelling experience as she tried to save her sister
Spoiler:
with her efforts frequently thwarted.

7.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Cheat

An understated and subtly effective chiller in the vein of It Follows. This includes themes of suicide, mental illness and trauma that I thought were handled well and without being too heavy handed, whilst also fitting into the story. Given that it was apparently made on a shoestring this was an exceptional effort from the cast and crew.

7.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

It Lives Inside

This takes the standard coming of age supernatural shocker and blends it with a culture clash as Sam tries to fit into the different expectations at home compared to her school and social life. Some nice set pieces and a sense of dread at times help to elevate this one above more run of the mill fare.

6.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Black Mold

A tale of photographers visiting abandoned locations, which turned out to be slightly different to what I expected, but was nevertheless an entertaining ride. I can't say too much without revealing the twists in the story, albeit you may see some of them coming anyway.

7.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Where The Devil Roams

I thoroughly enjoyed this, a Depression era carnival tale cum road trip movie with plenty of gore and kills. I liked the balance between the understated members of the family compared to the larger than life and eccentric characters of the rest of the carny.

8.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

How to Kill Monsters

The horror comedy follow-up to Book of Monsters that isn't a sequel, but is set in the same multiverse. I do have a vested interest in this so I won't say too much, nor provide a rating, but I did enjoy it and there are lots of practical effects on show. It was also nice to see that some expectations built up from the previous film are played around with here to good effect.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Faceless After Dark

A fun, occasionally arty exploration of celebrity, social media and how some behave irresponsibly on it. There is a twist just before the halfway mark that may turn your expectations upside down. Jenna Kanell is good value as the lead, in this occasionally vicious tale that suits the subject matter.

8 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

That's A Wrap

The latest Marcel Walz effort, some good kills, but others are less striking in this stalk and slash at a movie wrap party.

It felt a bit overlong, especially the ending, but that may have been due to it being a long day!

5.5. / 10