films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Excellent..!

Bruce steals every film he's in..
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just come back from seeing The Notorious Betty Paige.

A very entertaining film about a naive country girl who becomes a 50's pin up. Some rather amusing scenes. Including some comical S&M scenes Some great acting especially Gretchon Mol - the lead.

Some foot tapping music from Peggy Lee and Patsy Cline. Worth a watch :lol:
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Saw My Super Ex-Girlfriend tonight... very 80s feel to it, characters didn't quite work, a bit all over the place, yet still good - if undemanding - fun.
First things first, stay calm.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

just saw the keep at the NFT, thought id waffle about it here

the only time id seen this was on Sci Fi channel sometime in 2005, had wanted to see it for years after seeing the creature featured on the cover of an old Fango in their back issues section... nearly bought it at HMV when they had it on video but as was unemployed at the time so passed... although that didnt stop me from buying Destroy all monsters on vid that same summer... oh well

Am half way through reading the book but will have to forgoe the usual gripes concerning changes to the story..but boy if they did it properly this film would be drenched in gore

seeing this on tv is nothing to seeing it properly in widescreen, the scenery and set desgin are fantastic, the cast is really great: an early McKellen, Gabriel Byrne, Jurgen Prochnow, Scott Glenn, though some of the secondary cast are truly piss poor..

some really good effects regarding the cloud surrounding the creature and he has a great Darth Vader voice...

the problems lie in the total BUTCHER job done with the editing... it really feels like a movie made by cutting several tv shows together... the rumour that 80 mins were cut out definately are proved just by watching the film

music trivia: all the way through i was trying to remember where i had heard the tune buried in Tangerine Dreams hypnotic score before... then the credits list the theme from The Snowman! so there you go....
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Just got out of STORMBREAKER. Entertaining enough teen-Bond stuff but the near-constant thumping songs on the soundtrack got on my nerves (as they usually do). I can't actually see this becoming a series.
Uzumaki
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Uzumaki »

I went to see The Keep on Tuesday too. It just looked like a very long music video to me, lots of light shining through smoke and endless slo mo shots; I think the film was probably about an hour long and they managed to drag it out by showing each frame individually. The music was really obtrusive too, I think Michael Mann may have been in love with Tangerine Dream.

My friend enjoyed the badness of it, I just thought it was bad.
Dvdscot
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Dvdscot »

Here is a list of the movies I watched and how I liked them (from 5=best till 1=worst (3=medium/average) in descending order. Films with the same rating are in alphabetical order.

"So" means I would have bought a single ticket anyway.
"DK" means Dauerkarte, a film I only watched because I had a permanent ticket.

Frightfest movies are in bold, I'll open single threads for those.

Wild Country and 13 Tzameti had BBFC warnings before them, so they were british cinema copies. The other british movies came without, probably too new.

# Titel Q So/DK
1 Azumi 2 5 So
2 Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children 5 So
3 See no Evil 5 So
4 Shadowless Sword 5 So
5 13 Tzameti 4,5 DK
6 Severance 4,5 So
7 SPL (Sha Po Lang) 4,5 So
8 Them - Ils 4,5 So
9 Wilderness 4,5 So
10 Adam's Apples 4 DK
11 Blood Rain 4 DK
12 Disaster! 4 So
13 District - Nyocker 4 So
14 Duelist 4 So
15 Frostbite 4 So
16 Gruesome - Salvage 4 So
17 H6: Diary of a Serial Killer 4 So
18 Hatchet 4 So
19 Hole - Zulo 4 So
20 House - Hausu 4 DK
21 In 3 Tagen bist du tot 4 So
22 Isolation 4 So
23 Princess Aurora 4 So
24 Renaissance 4 So
25 Scared 4 So
26 Secuestro Express 4 So
27 Somniac - Somne 4 DK
28 The Method - El Método 4 So
29 Blood Trails 3,5 So
30 Minotaur 3,5 DK
31 Shadow: Dead Riot 3,5 So
32 Voice 3,5 So
33 Wild Country 3,5 So
34 Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon 3 So
35 Hanzo the Razor: Sword of Justice 3 DK
36 In a Dark Place 3 DK
37 Sam's Lake 3 DK
38 Strange Circus 3 DK
39 The Marsh 3 DK
40 Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror 2,5 So
41 The Night Listener 2,5 DK
42 Bad Blood - Coisa Ruim 2 DK
43 The Hidden 2 DK
44 Get Shorty - Kurzfilme/Short Films - So
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Just came back from The Lady in the Water, am quite a fan of Mr. Shyamalan-gadingdong but I must say I think he's done his dash. This film was very average... I would go on, but everything I want to say would be a spoiler. All I'll say is don't go expecting ANYTHING....
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Last night: STAY ALIVE. Nonsense (what if you're playing in an igloo or at 46,000 feet?) but effective on the shock level, though that's mainly due to a sudden dischordant BOO! from the orchestra. No gore either (PG-13).
videodrome
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by videodrome »

Last seen at the flicks "Superman" loved it ! I think Mr Routh is perfect, you don't actually see him as an actor at all, just Superman. Lex is perfect, the only main character that lets it down is Lois, aside from being waaaaay too thin, (Lolipop head) she just isn't 'spunky' enough to be the intrepid annoying reporter that Lois should be, she is completely unmemorable.
Unlike the score...which as previously mentioned..brought goosebumps and a shit-eating grin to my face!!
Watched a truly appaling sequel to Dracula 2000 last night..avoid like a dose of crabs...shocking, shocking, shocking...Wes Craven is on crack.
Its a trick. Get an axe.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I saw THE NOTORIOUS BETTIE PAGE this afternoon. It's actually quite good, I think Gretchen Mol does a terrific job. They've captured the 50s look beautifully. By chance I was in the Cinema Store earlier and saw a book of Page pictures and the film looks pretty authentic in that regard.

LADY IN THE WATER. I'm going to break with consensus and say I liked it. I don't think it's great (I preferred The Village), and it's strange how nobody reacted to all of Giamatti's questions like he was some kind of raving nutter, but it more than held my attention. Plus Shyamalan is one of those film-makers prepared to nail the camera to the floor and not whip-pan it around the place in a bid to keep Joe Multiplex in a state of delirious excitement. Subtle music score from James Newton Howard (and very low in the sound mix to boot).
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Watched on DVD - Tartan Asia Extreme. - called Dumplings. Directed by Fruit Chan. A story of a rich woman trying to hold on to hear youthful looks. A bit disturbing(no change there) but rather good film.
ScreamQueen
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ScreamQueen »

So, was that the full length version, lupogirl, rather than the shorter version included in Three...Extremes?
[i][b]Behold the Metatron![/b][/i]
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

I saw Stay Alive the other week. Pile of fucking crap. Good premise but it boasts some of the stupidest dialogue I've ever heard in a film, horror or otherwise. "My brother was just killed by a horse drawn carriage. I want to find who did it and hurt him." And it had a ton of plot holes. And virtually no gore. I'd forgotten it was a PG-13 film. It's basically a stupid, anodyne vanilla thriller for 12 year old fans of Malcolm in the Middle.

And what was Adam Goldberg doing in this tripe? He's a good actor. Hope he got a decent payday out of it.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

ScreamQueen wrote:So, was that the full length version, lupogirl, rather than the shorter version included in Three...Extremes?
Not sure the version I saw was the full and short versions. There were no othere titles on the DVD. Have you seen it ? :lol: