films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw A Scanner Darkly tonight which I thought was very original, loved the rotoscoping technique that Linklater uses... my mind drifted a little in the middle, it's a very talky film, but it all came together at the end - def. something I'll want to own on DVD and watch again. Then saw Monster House which was also really well animated and good fun...
First things first, stay calm.
gegsuranus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by gegsuranus »

After seeing A Scanner Darkly I'd like to see a road movie with Robert Downey Jr. and Woody Harrellson in their respective characters
F**k me gently with a chainsaw!
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Anyone else seen The Dark yet? Some of the similarities between that and Silent Hill are a little bit uncanny and have been confusing some of the customers at work, heh (Sean Bean plays the father in both, for example).

I was expecting a very Americanised version of Wales in the film, which it is in some ways, but, very importantly, one of the main characters, a little Welsh girl, is actually Welsh, so that's good.. I agree with what I'd previously read about the film, that it's very much a gothic horror, with an ever-increasing sense of doom.. The end is a little bit confusing, as it's sort of too heavily-laden with twists, so people seem to be split right down the middle about what actually happens at the end.. Whatever actually happens at the end, which certainly seems to be either one thing or the other (perhaps it's meant to be ambiguous? I'm not sure..), was good. I liked it, bar some of the annoying flashbacks featured in the film. Some very cool concepts in there.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

world_of_skin wrote:Anyone else seen The Dark yet? Some of the similarities between that and Silent Hill are a little bit uncanny and have been confusing some of the customers at work, heh (Sean Bean plays the father in both, for example)
Saw this in the cinemas when it was out and really enjoyed it - shame it seemed to sink without a trace though. It was a far better film than Silent Hill, and Sean Bean's character in SH was a bit pointless anyway as he didn't add anything to the story.
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

Snakes on a Plane does not disappoint! It's such a ride. Apart from ropey acting by some of the bit-part actors and one lousy special effect (the snake devouring the annoying English passenger), it's great fun. As expected, the line "I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane" was greeted with delight by the audience.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

I saw The Dark the other week, and whilst it is a little average, it's actually not bad at all.

Nice mood, some good acting, and great to see a decent horror film set in the UK (the cliff shots looked great!) Not too sure about the sheep though, but hey..

I still wear the whatisannwynn t-shirt given away at FF 2 years ago.. :)

We'll be having a comp on EMB towards the end of the month to win a few copies of the DVD. In the meantime, check out our current comp to win three costumes from Severance. We'll also be running a The Roost comp in the next couple of days too, with both comps running on the site over Frightfest...

Still haven't seen SOAP yet, but lots of favourable reports on here, so I will definitely be checking it out as soon as FF is finished.. Can't wait...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

rawshark wrote:I saw The Dark the other week, and whilst it is a little average, it's actually not bad at all.

Nice mood, some good acting, and great to see a decent horror film set in the UK (the cliff shots looked great!) Not too sure about the sheep though, but hey..

I still wear the whatisannwynn t-shirt given away at FF 2 years ago.. :)

We'll be having a comp on EMB towards the end of the month to win a few copies of the DVD. In the meantime, check out our current comp to win three costumes from Severance. We'll also be running a The Roost comp in the next couple of days too, with both comps running on the site over Frightfest...

Still haven't seen SOAP yet, but lots of favourable reports on here, so I will definitely be checking it out as soon as FF is finished.. Can't wait...
Mmm, I wasn't sure about the sheep either, really.. the sheep jumping off the cliff certainly worked better than that scene in the god-awful Ring remake where the horse jumps off the boat though, in my opinion.. erm, not that there's much reason to compare the two, but that's just what that reminded me of..

Perhaps part of the point of the sheep was mainly to remind us that we were, in fact, in Wales, as there sometimes wasn't much to suggest this in scenes that take place away from the cliffs etc (I agree that those shots looked damn impressive)? :D The sheep kind of struck me as, perhaps, a sign of the American (or were they Canadian?) director showing through..

Anyway, I'll stop now, before I try and write an essay purely about the presence of the sheep in the film :oops:

And a Severance-related competition sounds good... I am very bitter that I can't make it down on the Thursday to see it. I was obsessed with Creep for quite a while, so this really is a bit of a kick in the teeth! What ever happened to the follow up to Creep, anyone know?
ScreamQueen
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ScreamQueen »

I was obsessed with Creep for quite a while, so this really is a bit of a kick in the teeth! What ever happened to the follow up to Creep, anyone know?
Nope, but I'll try and find out from Chris for you and then at least your spirit (or question) will be present, even if you're not ;)

Do see Severance when you can though, it's a fun romp... although very different from Creep. Don't want to say too much and be spoilerific (and possibly lynched for being so) so will leave it there!

28 hours until Severance!
[i][b]Behold the Metatron![/b][/i]
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

ScreamQueen wrote:
I was obsessed with Creep for quite a while, so this really is a bit of a kick in the teeth! What ever happened to the follow up to Creep, anyone know?
Nope, but I'll try and find out from Chris for you and then at least your spirit (or question) will be present, even if you're not ;)
Excellent idea, thank you so much :D I would love to know what's happened to it, as it's been aaaages since I last heard anything about it.. I force Creep upon people on a very regular basis at work (anyone coming in wanting a horror recommended to them is going to get that one mentioned to them, every single time, heh). So if you could ask him, that's be great!
festerin' frank
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Films films films

Post by festerin' frank »

I have just got back from a great double bill of A Scanner Darkly and SOAP.

Both were excellent for very different reasons.

I would go so far as saying ASD is my fave film of the year so far (although Pan's may surpass it by the end of the fest.

I have seen Severance and will be seeing it again tomorrow. I saw the ad at the cinema tonight and I hope no-one minds me saying that it is a terrible representation of the film and spoils one of the best bits.

Who were the idiots who put that together? Their company should crash and burn. The footage also looked awful in the advert, almost cloudy. Not sure if this was just the cinema. The film looks much better than the ad (i.e. image not cloudy).

FF
Girl, you thought he was a man but he was a muffin!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

So... I know I shouldn't have... but I saw The Wicker Man remake tonight.

And what a surprise - it sucks!

Nic Cage is awful, his acting is so wooden no wonder he's ripe for burning... the script is leaden and made the audience laugh ("move away from the bicycle!") - hold your head in shame Mr La Bute. Calling your main character Edward Melas (with Willow Woodward another) is corny in the extreme... there's no atmosphere or tension... and the scene of him wearing the helmet full of bees which was in the trailer is completely missing...

I've enjoyed a few of these recent remakes but this one should be burnt alive.
First things first, stay calm.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

ahh your local must have had an early screening as near me they were only showing it at 9.

i can only now echo Soulmining .... ok it does start well...Edward is a much more likeable character than in the original... but the pre title scene is redundant and only there to provide the usual angst that a hero must have these days..

oh and YES he dies...this time we even see his body burning

the scenes on the island do look wonderful... it looks very much like a fairy tale world made real.. think company of wolves/grimm brothers in the modern world

but lets address the end... butchered to buggery... lines of dialogue clearly removed from actual scenes are played over scenes of them marching towards the wicker man... a wicker man that this time appears right out of fucking nowhere.. there is almost zero build up concerning what the mechanics of the festival are... what is the whicker man? Why does this commune use it?
extended dvd anyone? with the mentioned by Soulmining bee helmet

...also they really try and over do the whole "u are doomed" element of the story but making Rowan his daughter, and her mother and islander who left the island to get pregnant... we saw this spin on the concept in the woeful DarkLands -which is a classic compared to this
this little twist leads to a protracted epilogue

the end did provide a moment of high unintentional comedy... we hear his legs being broken then his voice going "AAAAA MY LEG" and instantly you are reminded of Mustafa from the only good austin powers movie "AAA You shot me... you shot me right in the arm"

what really pisses me off is that this shite will play in every movie theatre yet there only seems to be two cinemas in london showing Crank

EDIT: nope.. there was one intentionally cool thing... in the police station at the start you can see a poster of Edward Woodward with the word Missing above it
Last edited by ghouldrool on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

So, Wicker Man... One to avoid then..

On the bright side, I was lucky enough to see one of THE films of the year tonight...

A Guide To Recognising Your Saints

Wow!

Think Kids meets Boogie Nights meets Goodfellas.
A remarkable debut...!!
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I really wanted to like The Wicker Man but couldn't. It's pretty rubbish on it's own merits but comparing it to the original just shows how bad it really is.

I was cringing when the sister summersisle character was repeating Christopher Lee's classic lines. Terrible.

Was good for a laugh though, Nic Cage and his bike being the funniest.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

CRANK

Post by ghouldrool »

"my name is Chev Chelios"

with those words the trailer for Crank had me.... of course youll be lucky to find a screen in london showing Crank.... though it is on at Camden Odeon

this film absolutly is fantastic. Forget Snakes on a Plane as Crank is the real place to go for straight forward entertaining rubbish

it quite violent and fast moving, very well put together with a lot of visual flair... scenes are filmed in mock security cam vision, through microwave door windows and location changes are made via Google Earth. its almost like a Pop Art action movie at times....

there are some real laugh out loud moments, highlights being Chev running around town in a hospital gown with an huge erection, Chev stealing a cab with the aid of the word "al Qaeda"!, the china town sex scene, Chev's journy on a motorcycle accompanied by "everybody's talking at me", and the very end.....

go see it
and Chev Chelios is the greatest name in cinema history!
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"