films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

I've never forgotten a cringe making appearance by Neil LaBute on the panel of Newsnight Review a few years ago. He talked about a film's attempt to be sensual and then he uttered one of the most jaw droppingly ostentatious and stomach turning statments, saying in reference to his previous comment about the film, "Actually, the way I said that was quite sensual." Mark Lawson, sucking up to his celeb guest, replied "Yes!"

I've not seen any of his films so I'm not going to trash his work. But as he's supposed to have a great reputation as an indie director, why would he do a mainstream studio remake of all things?
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Forgive me father, for I have sinned. Saw Wicker Man yesterday, scariest thing about it was Nic Cage's hair colour... what was it, deep purple?? Very inappropriate. Anywho, it was crap, big suprise. The thing that worries me though is the fact that James Franco had a very small, sequel enabling role in this film, a role which seems far too small for his current star power. Aunty Em, I'm scared.... 'The Wicker Man- The Return' - starring James Franco??
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

I had the misfortune to watch The Wicker Man this weekend as well, it's so terrible, dire infact. The more I think about it, the worse it gets, it plays more like a comedy. I actually had high hopes for this, Neil Labute is a real interesting director so I thought he'd bring something interesting to this, instead all we get is Cage punching and karate kicking women, riding around on a bicycle and running around dressed as a bear.

This is the most unintentially funny film I've seen in a long time.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

here's the website for A Guide To Recognising Your Saints

Terrific film..!!

It screened at Venice at the weekend and went down a storm apparently..

http://www.firstlookstudios.com/guide
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Double bill at The Filmworks (now Odeon, reasonably priced, good seating woo!) in Manchester for me today - Crank and Severance - top stuff! Almost makes up for the fact that the entire point of me going to Manchester fell victim to the curse that afflicts me, leaving me out of pocket when I really can't afford to be :cry:
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: CRANK

Post by lupogirl »

ghouldrool wrote:"my name is Chev Chelios"

it quite violent and fast moving, very well put together with a lot of visual flair... scenes are filmed in mock security cam vision, through microwave door windows and location changes are made via Google Earth. its almost like a Pop Art action movie at times....
go see it
and Chev Chelios is the greatest name in cinema history!
I just saw this at the Odeon Camden Town. Have to agree. Fast paced action flm with some quirky humourous moments.

Some violent moments which you expected from a rare 18rated film but has some humour. You can tell it has some british humour with the amount of F##k and C###t there is. :D

Jason Stratham I thought was thoroughly entertaining. Mean, moody but very cute chap. Kicking bottom and taking no shit. Good story which has been done before but this does not stop it from being boring.

Lots of excellent stunts sequences and shoot outs. Great Stuff!! :D

I think he will be a good James Bond - if the vacancy comes up again.!!!

First stumbled upon him in The Transporter. Thought that was rather entertaining!!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

Crank has had a bigger opening weekend in the US than Snakes on a Plane had few weeks ago. That's bombed big time. Fallen out of the US top ten after just 2 weeks. I'm really surprised. I honestly thought the cult following that had grown around it before the release guaranteed a big hit. It's a shame as I really enjoyed it, apart from some shoddy CGI.

I'll be avoiding Wicker Man like the plague.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Wicker Man. Oh dear. As a film in its own right it's not very good; as a remake of THE WICKER MAN it's shockingly bad. Atrocious, in fact.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just watched The Pulse - Japanese version thanks to the FF Goody bag.

A strange film. Not a straightforward ghost story. A couple of good creepy moments. At times I got a bit confused.

Also quite refreshing to see a character who does not know the first thing about the internet and how to use it!!!

A great use of female vocals on the soundtrack. Think the start of The Shining.

Not sure if the story is about loneliness or the possibility of dying alone. One that leaves you thinking......

Might see the other The Pulse.....
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

The Pulse remake is.. erm, not very good. I thought it could have been, 'cause Pulse is quite patchy and confusing, I think (though I just don't get on with Kiyoshi Kurosawa movies, generally) and a remake that straightened out some of the issues with the original had the potential to be amazing.

Pulse (2006) isn't amazing. It has some moments of shining clarity where you think "Yes! That's interesting! And clever!" and then it all goes rubbish again. Disappointing.

Crank was wicked though.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

PULSE (US version). Actually I didn't think it was that bad. No classic, but interesting. Shot in that needlessly dark and grimy style and with several sequences of over-editing (just nail the damn camera to the floor and film the scene!), but it's oddly downbeat and doesn't end the way you'd expect.

I want to see the original version now. I could use some decent Asian horror. I cracked open the MPD-Psycho box the other day and it's heavy going...
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

I honestly thought it was badly put together. There was a damned good idea in there (wi-fi access = death? Brilliant!) but they made a complete hash of it. Characters would move location and change clothes without any acknowledgement that time had passed, it relied too heavily on the bog-standard flickering shadows visual, and the script was shocking.

The bit in the cafe broke me. I was already wondering why they'd gone to a cafe to discuss things instead of, you know, talking where they were, and then the loony bloke and a freaky goth chipped in and I lost it.

I still really liked the explanation from Zeigler of what had happened, and I loved how creepy the tape-covered rooms looked, but in the end, the main characters lacked personality and purpose and Ian Somerhalder is distractingly strange looking.
ScreamQueen
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ScreamQueen »

Saw The Devil Wears Prada on Friday.

Well, there's no devil, and hardly any prada. Quelle surprise that the title is misleading :P

This film is definately one for the ladies only. And I think it works either if you're into your fashion and what-not or no. You can laugh at or with. Either or. Whatever.

Whatever kinda sums it upm, though. Despite flawless performances from all concerned, Meryl Streep in particular is fabulous playing 'icy bitch', it's just...okay. A few laughs, a few smiles, and the bottom line is 'be true to yourself'.

Still, if the devil wears prada... I wanna be a devil!
[i][b]Behold the Metatron![/b][/i]
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

See, you would totally love Mean Girls.
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

I was going to see The Devil Wears Prada but my friend suggested that it might be more fun to nail my foreskin to a tree and be bludgeoned repeatedly around the head with a hammer...so that's what i did instead. Havent seen Pulse, though i will give it a chance - the original is a haunting, creepy, beautifully understated movie. Have just seen Right At Your Door, which is chillingly believable and has the feels like a kind of post-9/11 Night of the Living Dead (minus zombies), complete with ominous radio broadcasts, claustrophobic setting and a darkly ironic twist. Very recommended.