films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
James W
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by James W »

Garfield 2!! Scary stuff as it cost me £12
And it's hello from me, "Hello"

You might know me from such places as FrightFest, Horror Channel, Beyond and many many more!
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

Seeing Crank cost me £11.75. Ouch.
James W
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by James W »

Wow, I mention price hikes in a book review I did recently, it truly is shocking
And it's hello from me, "Hello"

You might know me from such places as FrightFest, Horror Channel, Beyond and many many more!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Seeing Right At Your Door cost me nowt as I have a UGC card (gloat, gloat, and sorry to those who haven't got them). :)

Yikes, but this is a grim one. I knew going in it wasn't going to be big on laughs, though. I'd have liked less of the annoying ambient soundtrack music (no music at all would have helped, actually), and more attention paid to recording the dialogue, quite a bit of which is mumbled and hard to make out. Persuasive stuff, though.
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

I have a UGC card, but none of the UGC cinemas anywhere near me were willing to show Crank. Grrrrr!

Contemplating Right At Your Door. Hmmm.
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

Sarah of the Dead wrote:Seeing Crank cost me £11.75. Ouch.
You should use Lastminute.com. You can see films at Vue cinemas (including Vue West End in Leicester Sq) for £4.50 any time Monday to Thursday! I frequently use it as it's a rip off to pay £11.75 (or more at some cinemas!). You get an email when you book through the site and you take a printout of the email to the cinema. Make the most of it as I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually stop doing it. It's been running since last year.

http://www.lastminute.com/lmn/pso/catal ... 0&CATID=22
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

im with sarah of the dead all the way when it comes to Pulse.

also i disliked the slow and meandering original.. the only reason it was made with all the creepy atmosphere was to cover up the lack of story and a vague idea involving ghosts and telecommunications.

although the original is slightly preferable to the remake. made by a mbunch of film makers who prob only watched a TRAILER for the original and felt it needed a load of jump scares and a woman running and being all glistening with sweet

some bits were comedic, and that scene with Brad Dourif and the goth girl? WHY? our heroes go right back to their chat disregarding that entire rant

ok and once again we have the "black best friend", glamourous looking girls hanging out with men they wouldnt be seen with in real life and rather than create a sense of doom and dread through pacing and eerines what do we get here?

washed out visuals, unhygenic university bath rooms, everything looking green or blue...yawn

potential spolier here i think the film might have really benefitted from ending just after they wonder how far half a tank of fuel will get them.. that would have been a good carpenter style ending.... but no we have to have a few more jump scares

as for the acting of the "Basil Exposition" character (the guy in the red room)... oh my god its painful

thing is it isnt even so bad its funny like the wicker man remake... i do think theres a conspiracy to keep decent films with wit and energy like Crank away from the general public while Pulsed and Thicker Man play every where.....
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Oh -- any of you who've seen the Pulse remake, any ideas why the washing machine was wi-fi enabled? :lol:
potential spolier here i think the film might have really benefitted from ending just after they wonder how far half a tank of fuel will get them.. that would have been a good carpenter style ending.... but no we have to have a few more jump scares
Did you say that on the IMDB at all? I definitely saw someone make that point before, and it's one I totally agree with. The "Let's find out" was the ending, it really should have been.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

i posted that on imdb but only last night.. my name on there is grooy_ghoulie

re the washing machine.... that scene belonged much more in The Grudge.... also when will film makers realise that if you are playing back a video made with digital equipment there will not be bursts of static.. pixellation maybe
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

No, that scene was blatantly robbed from the dull-as-dishwater Dark Water remake -- the trailer had scenes with a ghostie in the laundry room that weren't in the movie. I think they accidentally edited them into Pulse.

ETA: Yup, I read your comment over on the IMDB first! Ha! I still agree, though.
ScreamQueen
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ScreamQueen »

I haven't seen Pulse, remake or original, but can probably shed some light on why the washing machine was wi-fi enabled.

The way things are going, most of our household appliances will be, and will be able to talk to the net- stay with me now, I realise it sounds rediculous- to reorder when empty (in the case of the fridge/freezer) or to be switched on in time for the cycle to finish as someone comes home (in the case of the washing machine).

Tomorrows world. The future now. And all that jazz. *jazz hands*
[i][b]Behold the Metatron![/b][/i]
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I thought about it, considering, like you said, the fridge thing, but it just seems a bit unlikely. Particularly since it was in a dingy university basement laundrette. I just think it was silliness on the part of the filmmakers.

(And part of it was me being glib; the movie had the internet ghosts climbing out of a washing machine. That just doesn't make sense!)
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Still thinking about seeing the the remake of The Pulse. Just to see this Wi -Fi washing machine everyone is talking about :wink:

Worth seeing Crank. Even though I have a Cineworld card. Actually paid to see it at the Odeon. It is worth it!!!

Just come back from Scanner Darkly.

A bit slow and confusing. Even though it looked stunning and quite liked the shape shifting suits. Thought Wood Harelsdon was amusing.

At times the dialogue was muffled and the end left me non the wiser!!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Scanner Darkly makes a lot more sense the second time around, if you enjoyed it then it's well worth going back to watch it again, all the pieces fall into place the second time.

I'd say it's worth checking out the remake of Pulse, it's not perfect but it's still interesting, maintains the apocalyptic tone of the original.
Last edited by Alex Kidd on Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I probably wait for Scanner to come out on DVD to watch again.

Mind is made up now. Will be seeing the remake of the Pulse. Wi- fi washing machine very amusing !! :lol:
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"