films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Straying off at a tangent for a moment... if you liked the new Jarvis Cocker track on the end credits of Children Of Men then you might like to know that he's playing a secret gig (not so secret now...) at the Concorde 2 in Brighton on Tuesday 7th November, showcasing songs from his forthcoming new album...
First things first, stay calm.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

The Departed. This is great, it's my film of the year so far. Two and a half hours long and my interest never wavered; it's way better than the last two Scorsese movies Gangs of New York (DiCaprio still looked like he was about 14) and The Aviator. Even the invariably horrible Mark "Stumpy" Wahlberg can't spoil this one. It's a remake of the Hong Kong thriller Infernal Affairs, with Damon and DiCaprio each undercover in each other's operations (Boston Police and Nutter Jack Nicholson's gangster outfit) looking for their respective mole counterparts. And it's got Martin Sheen and Ray Winstone in it as well. Superb. It earns its 18 with huge amounts of swearing and bloody violence.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I thought The Departed was really good too. I can't remember much from the original but I did recognize a few scenes.

Actually Mark Wahlberg gave my favourite performance in the film. All the actors were brilliant but he and Matt Damon shined the most.

The heavy Boston accents are kind of comical at first but you get used to them.

EDIT: I put New York, then was told it's Boston.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

le massacre de le Texas

Post by ghouldrool »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning:well this is a good straight forward slasher flick... they have definatley taken on some of the lessons from the recent spate of rough edged torture flicks

yes its too dark and the camera is jerky but its a darn sight better as a film than 2003's flaccid rejig of the TCM franchise.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Might be in the minority here but thought CHILDREN OF MEN was really a bit, ahem, dull....
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

Ditto on Children of Men being dull. Too much use of overly obvious imagery, too. Meh. Disappointing.

The Grudge 2, weirdly, not that bad. Though the backstory is AWFUL and shouldn't be allowed.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

"Stunning, Exciting...Intensely Thrilling". That's what it says on the posters for The Guardian, and the quote and the attendant five stars come from no less than Alan Jones. In fact, if hadn't been for that poster quote I'd probably have avoided The Guardian altogether, and that really might have been no bad thing. I don't take much notice of any other critic and I really don't give a sloppy wet one how many stars The Sun and Loaded dish out. Well, I'm sorry - as much as I respect Mr Jones I'm going to differ.

It's a 12A mentoring drama starring one of the most boring actors on Earth. It's An Officer And A Gentleman with snorkels with a dash of Top Gun in flippers, as arrogant, cocky hunk Ashton Kutcher signs up for military-style basic training to become a US Coastguard rescue swimmer under the tutelage of washed-up, aging Kevin Costner (as dull as ever - he really needs to play Scarface or Charles Manson or an axe murderer or something). There's male bonding, romance with a local girl, bar fights, father-figure and surrogate-son, weepy unburdening of past traumas and redemption for all - all that's missing is Up Where We Belong on the soundtrack. But it really isn't "Stunning, Exciting...Intensely Thrilling". Solid, professionally done, but no more than that, and too long.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning. Or, Leatherface: The Early Years. This unremittingly grim and highly nasty prequel sets up Leatherface and the clan with their first killings after the slaughterhouse closes down in August 1969, when two young couples show up en route to an army base for the boys to go to Nam. It isn't spoiling much to reveal that They Never Get There. Brutal, bloody, and with a grainy, grimy feel that's closer to Hooper's original than the glossier 2003 remake, it's a welcome change from PG13 fluffy multiplex mush.

New Police Story. Jackie Chan is now 52 and moves better than most men half his age. I'm ten years younger than him and I move like Stephen Hawking in comparison. As usual with Chan's movies, the plot (cops vs bank robbers) isn't as interesting as the action stuff; here the centrepiece is an extended driverless bus sequence that apparently lays waste to half of Hong Kong city centre. Between this deliriously destructive setpiece and the typically inventive fight scenes, there's perhaps a bit too much of Chan acting the drunken, humiliated loser. But it's fun nonetheless.
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

I really enjoyed Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning. I was surprised by how much they got away with in the gory violence. The director Liebesman has obviously studied Hooper's original closely. The last 20 minutes felt very reminiscent of the first film - the mood and the camerawork. It was closer to the original than the actual remake. I thought Ermey's character got too much screen time but other than that it's a fun, dark slasher.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Maybe it's just me but I hated Texas ChainSaw Massacre: The Beginning with a passion. The backstory was ridiculous , the introduction of R. Lee Emery's cannibalism as the result o being a P.O.W. really verged on inanity, the film looked like someone forgot the zoom on at all times on the camera (which compared to the original's switches really let down) and none of the characters engaged in any single way. It was hard for me to swallow that a young man who had just been through Vietnam once would let an old codger just ttie him up, hang him up and then try to do something about it. And no, I won't for a moment swallow anything to do with respec for authority as they saw 'the sheriff' blast off the girl for no reason. All in all 94 minutes felt like 2004 minutes and I kept wishing someone would come in and chainsaw me in half.
Also the so-called gore? I'm sorry but because every shot was an extreme close-up you nevr saw anything. Throwing ten buckets of korn syrup over a screaming actor/actress whilst a bulking man leans over them with prop does not constitute grime, horror or gore.
Anyway...
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Told you we should have gone to see The Guardian instead...
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

are you sure you didn't watch 'The Devil wear prada' my mistake? Glenn Close looks a little bit like leatherface!
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Devil Wears Prada is great fun, well worth a watch.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

The dark.. ok this was a dull potboiler at best, Sean Bean on auto pilot, no atmosphere and pretty slow too.

wilderness as much as i liked this one im glad i skipped its theatrical run. Nothing cinematic here. a few cringeable moments not least being a 17 yr old besting a special forces operative who until then had been through and methodical. Sean Pertwee and Alex Reid were good but provided reminders that brit horror has been better.

cold and dark however reminds us that Brit horror can always get shitter. no matter how bad you think they can get they can still get worse. Bros#2 becomes a police man to fight baddies with his uber stylish monologing partner from Last Horror Show.
Both acted better in their previous movies with Hoowarth sadly not continuing his promis as being a new Roger Moore.
The film has a terrible cameo from Matt Lucas and some hilarious dialogue.
bear witness to these class snippets:

Mortimer Shade when describing a girl he fancied at school:"she was like a Hollywood Cave woman"

and my favourite:
"hes just another fly buzzing around the shit"
"well its my job ...special.. agent.. to catch the flies"
"and its my job..the catch the dog...that laid theturd"
"nice"

Eaten Alive ok i finally saw the Tobe Hopper flick with Buck, the Crocodile and not-billy bob thornton. im in two minds on this. it was slow but pretty maddening and insane at the same time. one things for sure Hopper really liked to make Marylin Burns suffer... and wtf is up with the peter fonda look alikes

avoid hoboken hollow with its over populated story and evil Dukes of Hazzard style narration. and watch out for silent screm aka The Retreat as its sure to surface on Zone Horror.. its good but buggers uop its ending[/i]
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Loved the new CHAINSAW - sadistic, intense and with a fabulously mean-spirited ending perfectly in the spirit of all those sour downbeat 70's horror endings (tho almost spoiled by the unnecessary voiceover, which i guess brought things full circle and nicely brought back John Laroquette).
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Come back from holiday. On the way there watched Devil Wears Prada. On the way back tried to watch Here to Enternity. It was 2am ona plane too tired. Still want to watch it though..

The Devil Wears Prada: All the hype made this film limp. Some good put downs and Meryle Streep on good form. In some ways rather sugar coated but nothing new to say about the fashion world.

Today saw a triple bill:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning.

Rather enjoyed this one. Deserves the 18 rating. Some gore and at times thought off screen would of made some scenes more terrifying.

Characters you kind of rooted for but not really fussed by. The back story of how it all started was interesting but not enough of him being bullied and so on.

The Grudge 2:

Thought this one was more enjoyable than 1. Had a few scares. I even thought the woman with the ever extending hair was creepy and not laughable as in Grudge 2 the original. The end did get a bit confusing!!!

Volva

A highly enjoyable Spanish drama/black comedy. Some excellent acting all round. Some amusing and moving scenes. Worth a watch. True about the Spanish they do like their tupperware!!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"