Shrooms

Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Shrooms

Post by jonbly »

Pretty good. The twist is blindingly obvious - in the sense that the taking of shrooms makes anything that is seen to happen later highly suspect.

And again, there was the continuing problem that the victims were mostly better off dead...

But hey, a talking cow!

7/10
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Shrooms was my first disappointing film of FF2007.
What I've jusst said about (college) kid casts goes wrong here. The establishing scene brings us a jock, his stoner mate, two best friend chicks and Tara. They are off to meet "irish" boy Jake (played by John Huston's grandson who has a very english accent - scripted get out = he went to boarding school in London) in his home country for the purpose of sampling hallucenogenic fungi.

The film is made by Irish people, which makes the two backwoods yokels more offensive (I'm not downw with the whole Jimmy Cricket thing). The story is not half bad, even if the other half is not that original - Severance did the "there is a lunatic asylum/prison in them woods thing so well, this is just crude stereotypes. I think they went for a spooky "japanese horror" type threat from the Black Brother (no, a monk, not a dude) but keep dropping the ball, though there are a few decent jump-shocks. Thus I shall call it Meh-Shrooms
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Found this dull, dull, dull.

Found the 'intentional' out of focus moments a bit repetitive and not the best idea when being shown this late at night.

But hey thats not down to the makers.

Was expecting good things so a bit of a let down.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Rather enjoyed this one. Had elements of the Blair Witch about it. Like the setting of woods and the shots the mysterious figures wandering through. Did deliver in jumps. May be a tad long but still enjoyable.

Like the talking cow. Makes you wonder a hamburger might do!

Almost forgot to say. There seems to be a running theme of"goddamit no signal here".
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
iam_dan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iam_dan »

i kinda enjoyed it....was perfect for a late night slot and did have a few...what did i just see moments like the cow
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Was dead set against this one going in, expecting it to be absolutely terrible, but it turned out to be just below average - so, better than I was expecting, but far from a good film. Didn't care for any of the characters, and too many different killers popping up before the twist happened.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I don't know if it was just tiredness or the film itself, but I kept dozing during this one... seemed a bit repetitive and never really grabbed me. Would watch it again though to see if I'm wrong - sometimes it's good to revisit these films outside of FF when you've got a fresh pair of eyes, as it were.
First things first, stay calm.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

My first disapointment of the festival..

Not to say it was completely bad (some of the visuals were great), but the disjointed plot and the too many flash forwards and flashbacks left me feeling far too disorientated. Plus it didn't help that I really didn't care for any of the characters...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Yeah, I didn't much care about the characters here either. In any event, the final plot twist meant it didn't matter much anyway (though a similar trick in Mandy Lane still managed it).
imajica
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by imajica »

Would have prefered this without the VERY last shot. It is good to have at least once talking animal at the festival and I did at least want to see some of the characters die. Always a plus in there somewhere!
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead can stay at mine.