films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

[quote="ghouldrool"]clapping really only makes sense if anyone involved in the making of the movie is there to appreciate it. Theres a reason people applaud at the theatre rather than cinemas.
Would you think to clap a movie sat on your own after watching it on dvd?

No
but sometimes people really do want to show some sort of appreciation of the film,rather than just shuffling off.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Not being funny but who are you showing your appreciation to?
The guys there to clean up popcorn? the projectionist who is either rewinding the film spool or putting the digi tape on rewind?

if so then one could argue we should applaud checkout staff at supermarkets once we pay for our groceries, or any other person just doing their job.

PS: Applause at FF makes perfect sense considering often the talent is in attendance, or we are showing appreciation to paul, ian, alan and greg.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

ghouldrool wrote:Not being funny but who are you showing your appreciation to?
The guys there to clean up popcorn? the projectionist who is either rewinding the film spool or putting the digi tape on rewind?

if so then one could argue we should applaud checkout staff at supermarkets once we pay for our groceries, or any other person just doing their job.

PS: Applause at FF makes perfect sense considering often the talent is in attendance, or we are showing appreciation to paul, ian, alan and greg.
not being funny but have you never felt like clapping at a film if you have had a great time watching it?
i see your point and its a sensible one,but if your going to see a film and it is one of those exceptional ones,where it works not just for the individual but the whole audience in that room,why not? im not against clapping,it doesnt bother me if people do it or not,im against mobiles used in cinemas or folks pay to see a movie only to talk through most of it.
heinous crimes for which swift punishment should be dealt in the most medievil of ways :D
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

but have you never felt like clapping at a film if you have had a great time watching it

Absolutly not. Applause serves no purpose in a vaccum. My appreciation of a movie is measured by how long i will spend discussing it after.

The Dark Knight
Is certainly not a film that would get me changing my stance on the above.

Far better than the deeply over rated Batman Begins. Theres still serious problems with its "story".
There really isnt one, it just frantically jumps from one set piece to another. Ok this reflects the Jokers chaotic nature but when you look at it closer the Joker is far from the chaotic being he claims.
He may not be as obviously controlled as everyone else but scheming he definatley is. I very much enjoyed this Joker. There really wasnt enough of him at all.

Introducing Two Face so soon was a big mistake and its hard to elaborate on why without spoilers. The scope of the action is quite big over all and at some points it reminds of the first better half of Die Hard 3. The effect is it swamps his plot. Theres a small little scene with him that would have made a brill final moment in the movie and led organically to having him be the villain in a third movie. It involved a cop, a bar and a coin toss.

The proper finale is quite tense and very well put together. a bit corny but the preceeding 2 hours were dark enough. The action is much better edited this time out. But the second finale is limp and poorly thought out bordering on the obvious. It does however have an ace up its sleeve even if the actual finish is too abrupt.

Gyllenhal is about the same level of drippy as Holmes was but shes far from as slappable. Bales voice as Batman is hard to take seriously. Morgan Freeman is again Morgan Freeman and his best scene comes late into the movie where the film nearly goes down the route of wondering just how facistic and invasive the fight against terrorism could get.

Joker aside the film belongs very much to Aaron Eckhart in the acting dept. Even though the transformation from white knight to raging revenger is rushed.

if i rated out of 10 id give it a 7

oh and as this really is jsut another chapter in the adventures of Eric Roberts one has to remark that he really is doing well for himself. He holds his role very well amongst all the A listers.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Shrooms
Maybe, and I do mean maybe, this would pass muster IF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN A HORROR MOVIE BEFORE. Unfortunately for anyone else this is yet another painful rehash of teens lost in the woods horror cliches. Comes complete with a twist that has been painfully overused in recent years.

It's quite stylishly shot but the characters are impossible to care about, and the initially interesting twist that everyone is tripping only really serves to allow for some supernatural J-horror elements to be shoehorned into a standard slasher film, and rapidly runs out of steam.

Say what you like about Hatchet, at least it was made with a sense of fun, Shrooms is just ponderous. I hope Freakdog is a serious improvement.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Trancers 5
And finally we reach the end. Theres a Trancers 6 out there but from all accounts it doesnt count.
So Jack is still in sub Dr Who land. Trying to find his way home and as luck would have it theres a Tower of Unrelenting Terror a few miles away.
Of course Jack being Jack doesnt really take to that towers moniker displaying the now typical raised eyebrow sarcasm.

And by now it really is just Thomersons comedic turn as Deth that warrants any interest in this series.

So off to the TOURT he goes. On the way he confronts his hatred of Trancers, the resurrected Caliban and tries to introduce womens lib to a slave girl.

not a bad end to the series but a downer when one remembers the hip cool of the first.
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

I do like to clap & cheer af fests when a movie's just been introduced ( & maybe at the end if it was really good) but I do feel a bit daft doing it in a general screening.
Even if the movie's great and I do feel the urge, it all feels a bit 'American' for me - kinda like when Steven Segal has just saved the world againg & the Genarals back in DC are cheering and clapping. U.S.A., U.S.A. !!!
Or maybe I just need to loosen up a bit :D

(I did let out a yelp of delight at Fantastic Films Weekend in Bradford when American Werewolf started with the old BBFC 'X' card though)
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Has anyone seen this Korean Movie called 'Spider Forest' ?

Just wondering whether to purchase...

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/44/59/-/3 ... type=genre
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

Notts Pete wrote:

I do like to clap & cheer af fests when a movie's just been introduced ( & maybe at the end if it was really good) but I do feel a bit daft doing it in a general screening.
Even if the movie's great and I do feel the urge, it all feels a bit 'American' for me - kinda like when Steven Segal has just saved the world againg & the Genarals back in DC are cheering and clapping. U.S.A., U.S.A. !!!
Or maybe I just need to loosen up a bit :D

(I did let out a yelp of delight at Fantastic Films Weekend in Bradford when American Werewolf started with the old BBFC 'X' card though)
I will clap at Frightfest as its a crowd who "get" films, but I dont else where as I would find it odd and just a bit mad, I agree that at the theatre you clap as those people are there to see and hear it, a film they are not (unless its an event like FF) plus you want to clap in my local cinema and you will get a smack or something thrown at you as people want to watch the film not hear people clapping
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

scream queen hot tub party 5 scream gueens end up in a house after being invited by a mysterious host (a talking painting) they all end up topless in a hot tub talking about things as how to use a chainsaw naked, and how to do a proper horror shower scene. Which is all very interesting stuff of course. all in all it was 50 minutes of nonsence with clips from other movies the girls were in. entertaining enough for a monday night.

cannibal women in the avocado jungle of death well what can I say? It is as good as it sounds. I thought it was very funny.

all the boys love Mandy Lane missed it at frightfest last year, bought it on dvd now. Good stuff, loved the cinematography, and all I can say is that Mandy Lane is a naughty naughty girl.

flight of the living dead liked it a lot, the zombie strapped in the chair cracked me up, as did the old lady zombie with no teeth.

premutos lord of the living dead just watched a burnt copy of this, looked good, hilarious english dubs, too many flash backs though that were a bit pointless. also the disc stopped working about 15 minutes before the ending which pissed me off, gotta re-download it now as my budget won't allow me to buy the origional dvd till after frightfest and I can't wait that long.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Vampirella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Vampirella »

Melvin Junko wrote:
flight of the living dead liked it a lot, the zombie strapped in the chair cracked me up, as did the old lady zombie with no teeth.
I love the zombie nun who loses her legs
I would rather be hated every damn day of my life for being real than loved for being something I'm not...
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

been hitting the movies hard in the past week>>>>

THE KEEP... Love this movie... had been a long time since i had seen it but it still holds up... great cast, great cinematography, great direction (Michael Manns best movie in my opinion) and the best part of all?... Tangerine Dreams awesome soundtrack... truly makes me wish that there was a contract signed back then that said that Goblin and Tangerine Dream had to do the score for every movie to come out until the end of time... well maybe not but it was pretty cool...

ROGUE...Highly enjoyable sophomore effort for WOLF CREEK'S Greg Mclean... I like the way he lets you get to know all the characters a little before he starts annihilating them...Well acted, good scares, cool crocodile... everything that a killer croc movie needs

THE ABANDONED... I love Nacho Cerda's early stuff and think that AFTERMATH is one of the most truly terrifying movies i have ever seen... THE ABANDONED isn't what i would consider natural progression for him but i really enjoyed it... it looks gorgeous and it's nice to see a heroine these days who's over 18... lends a bit of gravity to the proceedings... i mean kids will scream at anything... when someone in their 40's screams it makes you think that maybe something really is wrong...

PHENOMENA/CREEPERS (version integrale)so long since i saw this as CREEPERS that i can't tell the differences between the two versions but i enjoyed it now as much as i did when it came out... the moment that Iron Maidens 'Flash of the Blade' kicks in was one of the movie highlights of my teens...

BATMAN BEGINS... watched it again in prep for DARK KNIGHT... looks lovely, interesting reinvention of the mythos but not so much a batman movie as a bruce wayne movie and Scarecrow is criminally underused...

BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT... thought i'd give this a go as it was supposedly some animated shorts that linked the two movies but apart from the opening story which looked truly stunning (due to Shoujirou Nishimi, Tekkonkinkreets character designer being involved) i thought all the other segments were a complete let down visually and storywise...

THE DARK KNIGHT... and then this... what a movie... less a superhero movie, more an epic crime movie that just happens to contain superheroes... fantastic from beginning to end... Heath Ledger was awe inspiring and Aaron Eckhart was brilliant as well... all the returning cast were great too with the exception of Bale who certainly plays the best Bruce Wayne but not the best Batman... He constantly sounds like hes going for a sh++... It was truly great...

next up i've managed to get hold of workprints of FRIDAY 13th:Final Chapter and JASON LIVES... i can't wait
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw again a mix of films....

First saw Wall E really enjoyed it. Looked amazing. The song at the very start was grating. That aside, was still very entertaining. Like the Last Robot on Earth Pixar style.

Then, oooh dear! A mate wanted to see Kung Fu Panda. Was almost nodding off in the first half hour. Too kid orientated for me. Lots of animal characters eating noodles and speaking in slang. Nearly all characters being small, fluffy and cute. There was at least one big, mean looking beasty!

Lastly went to the Soho Curzon, Movie Madness last night to see Mannequin. After seeing that Starship video countless times on TMF. I thought I give this a watch. It is the first time I have seen it. It was slow going, and not very entertaining. Quite a few"oh it's them" faces. Estelle Getty was sooooo wooden! Before the film there was some really good blast from the past 80's tunes from the DJ. That was enjoyable!!!!

Planning to see Dark Knight next week at the Odeon and then seeing again at the IMAX. Keep hearing about certain sections of the film was specially shot for IMAX. So looking forward to that! :D
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Jarhead this arrived today on HD, i saw it a few years back and remembered how good it looked and with some truly beautiful scenes it doesnt dissapoint and looks all the more better in hd, a very good movie about the lack of war in a war.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Wall-E: after the miss-fire that was Cars and the merely good Ratatouille, I'm happy to report that Pixar are back on top form with this. A few highbrow critics had complained that the film os bleak and depressing, I don't know what they are on about frankly, as I thought it was a delight from beginning to end.

Also so Neil LaBute's 1999 film Your Friends and Neighbours, which is a lot of middle class angst and adultery shenanigans. It's a bit like Closer (only better, although that's not saying mutch, I hated Closer) and has a top notch cast (Ben Stiller, Aaron Eckhart, Natasha Kinski, Amy Brenneman, Katherine Keener and Jason Patrick). It's ok but somewhat theatrical.