Outpost: Black Sun

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Outpost: Black Sun

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - Reasonable sequel. Liked how they developed the mythos, and liked the characters. Some of the fight scenes were badly edited, though (or perhaps badly staged fight scenes were cleverly obscured by good editing - who knows?)
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Outpost: Black Sun

Post by Stephen with ph »

This is one of the better ones I've seen so far this weekend, but I suspect that's indicative of the disappointing standard this year.

Ordinarily, this would be an unremarkable FF feature.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Didn't like the first film, Dead Snow did Nazi zombies better
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

I'm easily entertained by movies with Nazi zombies in them - however didn't really add that much to the first - 6/10
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by djwoody »

Distinctly average with a bad American accent from the guy in Grabbers
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

I liked the original OUTPOST a lot but this was very dull. TV movie like pacing and bland characters made it a real chore.
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

Nice to see on the big screen . 5/10
Stevey K
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Stevey K »

Probably should have been on the Discovery Screen. Scenes at the end with trussed up guy zapping Nazis was like a bad Doctor Who episode.
damatotomato
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by damatotomato »

I didn't think I would enjoy this one. It reeked of straight to video and I'm not a fan of 'modern day Nazi zombies on the loose' franchises, of which (this may just be my imagination) there seem to be many.

However, this sequel to 2008's original 'Outpost' was a lot of fun. The gloomy, surreal, fairytale woodland setting and the well-utilised Nazi zombies (who also made an appearance on stage and scared families and tourists away from a visit to London ever again by patrolling outside the cinema for a while), were mostly hidden in shadow, and ensured the film remained a genuinely creepy experience. The battle scenes were well portrayed and the acting was fine and funny in the right moments.

There were some well-realised special effects of mad scientist Nazi death rays and the electric blue detonation where the sound went muffled, like we had all been deafened, had me worried for a few moments - a nice touch.

Great setup for a sequel. I may even be watching!

dt
facebook: markgordonpalmer
blog: http://markgordonpalmer.blogspot.co.uk
Last edited by damatotomato on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Not a massive fan of the original, but this was straight to video garbage as far as I am concerned.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I preferred this to the original - a bit more story and more interesting characters this time around. Probably one where you do need to see the original first, otherwise I suspect you may get lost in the mythos. Now I want to know what happens next! 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Stevey K wrote:Probably should have been on the Discovery Screen. Scenes at the end with trussed up guy zapping Nazis was like a bad Doctor Who episode.
Yes indeed....like something from the late 80s nadir of Doctor Who with Slyvester McCoy. The special effects of the electricity were particularly dreadful, and the cacking old witch was a horrendous touch.

This was just naff, should have been on the Discovery and one of the better Discoveries on the main; or even if it had to be on the main due to contractual reasons, it should have been in the late night slot so we could have watched Maniac earlier and given this a miss.
foster twelvetrees
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by foster twelvetrees »

This was for me an example of a film that either shouldn't have made the cut, or at best been on one of the smaller screens.
Outpost 2 was just a tired idea, with tired execution, that made me feel tired watching it.

Generally poor effects ( the lightning effect so synonymous with FX of the 80's) didn't help, but the most inexcusable fact was that it was neither funny or scary. As has already been mentioned Dead Snow nailed Nazi Zombies and had the thrills and the laughs.

Please, please, please don't play part 3 next year, at least not on the main screen, and if for some contractual issue to be able to get the BEST genre movie of the year it has to be played, and on the main screen then put it on at the start or end of the day. At least then I can go to the Phoenix or have a lie in bed.
"Mister Twelvetrees, I beseach you..."
"You beseach yerself mate, I'm off!"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Thought it was too ploddy and not enough of the nazi zombies. Too much of the characters talking and not enough action
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I didn't mind it. It's a while since I saw the first Outpost and I didn't much like it; this one's better. Pity that at the end it sets itself up for a Part 3 we're not THAT desperate for.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!