The Girl With All the Gifts (Surprise Screening)

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

The Girl With All the Gifts (Surprise Screening)

Post by ChrisReynolds »

This was a surprise screening with the writer and director in attendance. The concept is amazingly similar to the plot of The Last of Us, with this page running down all the similarities. Despite the plot feeling similar it takes a very different emotional journey, feeling more ambiguous in its attitudes. It feels more science-fiction than horror, despite heavily featuring zombies, the core is more philosophical. There are too many standard zombie film situations throughout the film, and it's not until the final few scenes that the movie breaks the mould and does something impressive. It's got an excellent cast, which helps elevate things, but it's not enough to make it the cult film it's trying for.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: The Girl With All the Gifts (Surprise Screening)

Post by ArghZombies »

It was very similar to the book. That sort of makes it hard for me to review because I read it only 6 months or so ago, so nothing in the movie came as a surprise.

What I liked about the book was the relationship between Helen and Melanie. This movie covered that well for the first half, but I think it lost some of that character dynamic for the second-half. But by then the focus of the movie had changed from the characters to the situation instead.

It was well put together for sure, and all performances were great - especially the little girl. Plus Glenn Close showing she can still do the psychotic woman with ease.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The surprise film that was surprisingly good with plenty of heart. One of the best of the fest for me despite the very familiar scenario, as at least it tried to do something a bit different with the subgenre.

I loved the use of the music from Utopia too, as well as the twist ending.
Spoiler:
Although I did wonder how long Gemma Arterton would last without food though?!
8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Alex J wrote:Although I did wonder
Spoiler:
how long Gemma Arterton would last without food though?!
Spoiler:
She still has a working airlock, so the zombie kids can bring her whatever she needs. Though in the final scene she didn't seem too fussed to be trapped in that box for the rest of her life did she?
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

ChrisReynolds wrote:
Alex J wrote:Although I did wonder
Spoiler:
how long Gemma Arterton would last without food though?!
Spoiler:
She still has a working airlock, so the zombie kids can bring her whatever she needs. Though in the final scene she didn't seem too fussed to be trapped in that box for the rest of her life did she?
Spoiler:
Yes, not much of a life really! I assumed the airlock would be too risky to use with the spores, but maybe it would be viable.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.