The Signal

Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Signal

Post by jonbly »

Do you have the crazy?

Great stuff. The final scenes in Terminal 13 could have been stronger - in particular, it's a real let down that the girl has been exposed to the Signal and is, by now, completely nuts. But hey. Transmission 2 in particular was just excellent.

9/10
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

The SIgnal is great. Just VERY GOOD.
Our heroine, Mya, goes home after a bit of infidelity and notices people in her block are acting strangely - pointless rage causing violent bloody murders. This is triggered by a transmission from every TV and phone and radio. Of course her husband, Lewis has reason to be paranoid but circumstances rapidly get out of control. Then a surreal twist as some of the central cast arrive at the home of Ken and Anna - she's already had to kill him because of him getting "the crazy" but she is not ... quite.

You get more insight into the crazies' motivations, Lewis manages to rationalise his actions and hold himself together and a couple of characters find ways of coping with the distorted thinking. The cocktail party goes ahead - it's Anna's only link to sanity. And eventually Lewis' insanity turns back on himself.

The Frightfest review says "an American 28 Days Later", but add Shaun of the Dead to the mix. A contender for my top three films so far.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Bit of a mixed bag this being done as three separate segments with different directors I believe.

Admittedly when it seemed to slip into full on zomcom in the middle segment I enjoyed it a bit more.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Rather enjoyed the Transmission Two segment. Thought that was very amusing. All sitting there,blood spattered eating pretzels. I thought was funny. The last third segment was very downbeat. Did not really enjoy that one as much.

This film did remind of The Pulse a little bit. The reliance on technology.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
iam_dan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iam_dan »

really enjoyed this in a twisted kinda way giving the different segments with different styles certainly made it a not sure whats happening next kind of feel
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Good all round but Transmission 2 was the stand out best part.

The thing that came to mind immediately was isnt this a bit like Steven King's Cell - but I think the book came out later?
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

:lol:

I found parts of Signal hilareous!!!

The cocktail party.... :lol:

One of my faves of the weekend
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

This was an ace little movie. And Stephen King's CELL (which itself is desperately derivative of lots of earlier movies and novels, including King's own stuff!) actually came out while this movie was in post production...personally i think THE SIGNAL did a better job of a similar premise.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Yeah I was thinking of the cell when I watched this.... good little book too.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Excellent movie with a good script and some nice ideas with some nice gore too - one of the best of the weekend
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Long wait for this to appear from the earliest murmurs to now....

Well worth the wait. My fave movie of the festival. I'm getting deja vu...im sure i typed this somewhere else on here.

Great idea, superb manouvering around not having a budget. Middle section was so damn funny and as a 3 parter teh 3 directors really worked amazingly well together.

Recommending this to anyone who will listen :roll:
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

From what I'd read about this, I was just expecting it to be a tesco value version of 28 days later - so I was pleasantly suprised. I thought the first two parts were far stronger than the third, but overall it won me over.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

One of my favourites of the festival, was just raw and gripping. Was really surprised at the shift in tone for the second part, but it worked well. Final part wasn't quite so good, but a great effort overall. Was really worried when it first started, thank goodness those first scenes were just a film within a film as I was already contemplating heading to the exits!!
First things first, stay calm.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

I agree with soulmining - one of my top three of the fest.

Parts one and two were amazing pieces of film-making, and the tonal shifts between Transmissions 1 and 2 fitted extremely well within the logic of the film itself.

Ok, maybe there was too many scenes of 'The Signal' itself, and the third part was a slight let-down, but overall this was very strong indie filmmaking and it's no wonder the Weinsteins snapped it up in seconds at Sundance...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I quite enjoyed this when watching it, particularly the 2nd section, but overall it wasn't one of my favourites (Mr Scrobble, on the other hand, really loved it - so each to their own and all).

It didn't stick in my mind after watching, though, which films I've really enjoyed tend to do - I think part of that stemmed from the fact I couldn't really warm to Mya and her lover for whatever reason.