Triangle

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Triangle

Post by jonbly »

Tricky one this... clever, or too clever for its own good? Whilst the time loop is internally consistent, it's hard to see how it could ever have started...

Some stunning moments though, with the pile of corpses and seagulls being the one stuck in jonbly's mind.

7/10
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

However, the pile of corpses itself, whilst a really terrific and memorable image, does put a finite cap on the amount of times this activity has looped, as does the pile of dead seagulls. Which means there has to be a starting point. Of which there isn't really an explanation.

Good looking picture though as well as an effective score.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Surely the starting point is the crash? This is the moment that sets the action in motion.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

In two minds about this one - thought Melissa George was very good in the role of Jess and there were some very memorable scenes that stuck in my mind eg the pile of bodies on the deck. However on the other hand I'm kinda thinking Time Crimes (FF last year ... 3 Hectors 3 Jess's one of each with the head covered) crossed with Ghost Ship but with hot pants.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

More a circle than a triangle. Not one for me im afraid
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Muffy St. John wrote:Surely the starting point is the crash? This is the moment that sets the action in motion.
But the crash is "new" Melissa George with a body of the "real" one in the boot. How did that "new" one get there in the first place to get the body in the boot?
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

I think at the point after the crash there is only 1 Melissa George, the one who's just beaten her son and crashed the car. That is the one part of the film that is 'real', as she has yet to make her deal with 'death'.
splittter
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by splittter »

The good - atmospheric, tense, gripping, good performances, 3 or 4 brilliant shock scenes (as others have said, the girl crawling amidst lots of dead versions of herself was fantastic).

The bad - it just didn't really make sense, did it? My conclusion is that either I'm a bit stupid or the story doesn't quite add up.

Think my major gripe is the 'second' Jess managing to alter things so the couple doesn't die of shotgun blasts in the theatre. If all three Jesses are operating for each boat load of the group that turns up (and that is the case, isn't it?), then there's always a Jess that's in the each phase for every boat load ... so how can the couple sometimes die in the theatre and sometimes in the room and deck to satisfy each of the jess' experiences? Yeah? Also, she did keep her promise to death, didn't she? ... she always comes back ... or is that the point? Am I making sense? Is the film?

Anyway, the good outweighed the bad.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Thursday seems a long time ago now, but I liked it a lot.

Not convinced the internal logic worked 100%, unlike Time Crimes which was perfect. I want to hear the DVD commentary to see how Chris Smith explains it all.
Tommy-Boy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tommy-Boy »

Good - Melissa George was excellent
Bad - Plot didnt seem to make that much sense and I didnt really care too much about the characters

As far as Chris Smith movies go - have to say I much prefer the likes of Severance
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Way to similar to TimeCrimes which was a whole lot better than this.

Average at best.
lone star
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by lone star »

A well made movie with some impressive sequences (such as pile of dead bodies) but too many questions remain - one being how did the version of Jess driving, escape the crash? I would have been interested to see how the loop might have been broken rather than the film ending as it did.

Severance all the way for me but am pleased to see that with each movie Chris Smith takes on somthing different rather than sticking to the one sub genre
live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Agree very similar to Time Crimes but that film was helped by moments of dark humour.

This for me was one of those films where the concept was everything and so although it leaves you thinking about it you don't really care about anyone in it.

Well acted and directed though.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

8/10 from me, impressively shot and edited with a decent orchestral soundtrack to boost.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Goosebumps
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Goosebumps »

I really didnt like this film at all, it was predictable but felt empty and dull... I wanted them all to die!