The Descent: Part 2

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Black Sheep
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

The Descent: Part 2

Post by Black Sheep »

I'm dying to know, how was the Descent? I wasn't able to make the screening.
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by djwoody »

Surprisingly good. Very similar to the first but loads of great action, blood and guts made it a good ride. Jon Harris did a great job. Bringing Juno back didn't really cut it for me and the huge crawler at the end was a bit too much. Minor gripes for a great follow up to one of my top 10 horrors of all time.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

I was expecting an average follow up so was surprised at how enjoyable this actually was. Once the Crawlers turned up and the blood and guts started flying it pushed all the right buttons for me. Guess it was the same for a lot of the audience going by the spontaneous applause and cheers that kept breaking out
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Did exactly what it said on the tin. If it wasn't losing points for originality, it would have been jonbly's film of the fest.

8/10
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

Some extremely effective set-piece scenes made this work for me. Nice job by everyone involved and while the ending seemed a bit off the wall I generally thought it was a solid follow-up to a good original.

I agree with Jonbly, it would have been good if it had really added to the original, not just continued it, but it was much better than I expected.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

A good sequel.
Wow.
No weak links in the cast, joins seamlessly (if you'll forgive the pun) with the 1st part and a touch of Frightfest Audience Applause for some of the gore moments.

Not as darkly disturbing as the original, but Descent 2 = decent too.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Almost a retread of the original but it really worked and was a great closing film to this years festival.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Not overly impressed with this one. Really did not like the story. Sending a traumatized girl back down the caves again from her hospital bed. You what?? From that point I thought it was totally unconvincing story with a mix bag of characters for padding,

I thought it be more of a interesting story, if it was a year later and a new bunch of people go down there and the twist is Juno is part of the crawlers

Shame i was hoping I would enjoy this. As i really enjoyed The Descent.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Fun production-line sequel. Think along the lines of the recent "Hills Have Eyes 2". Not quite sure what was going on with that ending though....
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

I really enjoyed this, even though as Lupogirl said - making the girl go back down was just stupid.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It was exactly what the closing film needed to be: a thumping good horror movie with plenty of gore and blood and monsters. Particularly after the intellectual angles of Heartless, you really want to close on something that has no agenda beyond entertainment, and Descent 2 did it generally pretty well. (A big help in the continuity is having David Julyan scoring it again - his music for the first film was my MP3 player choice for the train ride home this morning.)

Couldn't really have asked for a better way to end the weekend. Not that it's only a good way to wrap the festival up - it's a good, solid horror movie in its own right.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Did Shauna DIG at Neil Marshall during the introduction on stage? :lol: :)

I loved it... made me jump in all the right places but I preferred the original look of the beasts, now they're kinda grimey and more prehestoric lookin... meaner bat like things... they were mean before but I liked their less 'muscled' nature....

Great film though, really good film to end on!
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Very efficient...but i liked this movie so much better when it was just called "The Descent", and im starting to really tire of movies (not just in this genre) where the key action scenes are cut so fast (and shot on Shaki Cam) that everything becomes an incoherent, bloody blur. The script was very much a "Horror Sequel By Numbers" affair, but the cast members were delightful afterward...got very slightly aroused while having pic taken with one particular actress. Cough.
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

Didn't induce as much of a claustrophobic feeling as the first one (which accomplished what few films do and actually creeped me out a little bit), but maybe that's nothing to do with the film itself and just because I watched it in a giant auditorium. The first one I saw in my shoebox living room.
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Fairly enjoyable film helped a lot by a large amount of friends and family of the crew cheering lots. There was a fair amount of gore and good kills.

the chief was a fairly rotten character, so many stupid decisions. good closing film for the festival.