The Duke Mitchell Thread

A forum for news and stuff concerning events of interest
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

The Duke Mitchell Thread

Post by ghouldrool »

Every month Alex Kidd and Voor bring us a free event held in Kings Cross. It show cases obscure and cult movies and shorts, brings a trailer trash linked to the evenings theme, and a quiz.

This is held on the final monday of every month -barring August.

This month will be Retro Sci Fi.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: The Duke Mitchell Thread

Post by giles edwards »

This event is nirvana for cult hounds.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

fair assessment that.

The feature at this months DM will be The Green Slime
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Sounds awesome - save me a seat! :-)
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Hi, thanks very much for starting this thread, we'd love to see more people at The Duke, you can check out more info about the night here:

http://www.facebook.com/thedukemitchell

http://twitter.com/TheDukeMitchell

We're also doing the Trailer Trash for Frightfest Glasgow, we've unearthed some fantastic stuff for you!

Here's the full info about Retro Sci-Fi Night:

The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents:

Retro Sci-Fi Night

Monday 22nd February 2010

Doors Open 7PM - Films Start 8PM

Come and head back to the 50s, 60s and 70s with The Duke as we celebrate a time when Sci-Fi meant ray guns, spaceships, evil robots, serious scientists and alien invasions.

Our main feature for the night is The Green Slime (1968) a classic American, Italian and Japanese co-production from director Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale). Set on a remote space station the Green Slime are let loose and there's only a handful of crew to stop them from invading Earth. Features quite possibly the most fun, and also inappropriate, theme tune for a Sci-Fi film ever.

We'll also be bringing you all our regular supporting features, all with a Retro Sci-Fi feel: we've got a very special Sci-Fi Trailer trash, a fantastic short, a Sci-Fi quiz and some out of this world sounds to be played during the breaks.

So make it a date with The Duke as we blast off on a simultaneous journey into the past and the future!
Last edited by Alex Kidd on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Hi everyone, the next Duke Mitchell Film Club night is on Monday 26th April, in Kings Cross, and it's dedicated to the classic British actor Michael Gough, here's the full info on the night:

Michael Gough Night

Monday 26th April 2010

Doors Open 7PM - Films Start 8PM

FREE ENTRY - Cross Kings, 126 York Way, London, N1 0AX

Come join The Duke as we celebrate one of the most talented and versatile and yet under-appreciated actors ever to grace our screen - yes, we're talking about Michael Gough - the Dirk Bogarde of genre films.

You might only know him as 'Alfred' from the Batman movies but Mr. Michael Gough has had an extensive and very brilliant career both on stage and on film all throughout his life.

And so The Duke has once again dipped into its' extensive archive to produce some of the rarest and unseen Michael Gough material anyone can imagine.

As well as screening 'Crucible Of Horror' his 1970 masterpiece which can rival any 70's film in terms of sheer weirdness and outrageousness, we'll also be showing some really rare Gough shorts as well as a Trailer Trash dedicated to Mr. Gough and his contemporaries.

We'll also have our regular music, posters and quiz all clearly inspired by the talented and marvellous Mr. Gough and his prime period!

So if you want to discover just how brilliant Michael Gough is and to pay him his just due - come on down to The Duke on the 26th April, Monday!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Even though they inflicted Ben & Arthur (possibly the worst film I have ever seen, no really) upon me on my first meeting with the Duke. I shall be there.

Great way to brighten up a Monday evening if you're in London.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

yeah, sounds like good fun i'll try and make it down
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Hi everyone, this is Alex posting under Voor's account, as my account seems to be broken, can't log in no matter how hard I try.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who made it down to Michael Gough Night yesterday at The Duke, it was fantastic to see so many people there.

The Duke will return on Bank Holiday Monday 31st May 2010 with our 'Round The World With The Duke - Triple Bill'

Full details coming very soon...

Thanks!
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

great night, really enjoyed the trailers and the animation was top notch. the main film was rubbish though, i reckon the sci-fi film would have been a better option. must remember to do some research for the quiz next time
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Hi, thanks for coming along nekro, glad you enjoyed the trailers and the ainmated short. We thought about playing 'The Came From Beyond Space' as the man feature but Michael's only in it for 10 minutes right at the end, so we didn't think it really did him justice, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Crucible Of Horror. Thanks for coming down to the night. - Alex.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Hi, this is Alex again posting under Voors account as mine still doesn't work.

Here's the details for The Next Duke Mitchell Film Club, feel free to come down for all 3 films, or just pop in for 1 if you're not up for all 3.

Link to the facebook event page for the night

Bank Holiday All-Day Film Festival

Monday 31st May 2010

Doors Open 3.30PM - Films Start 4PM - Night Ends 10PM

Ladies and Gentlemen – the Duke is proud to present what will perhaps be his most ambitious first project, yet! – the First Annual Duke Mitchell Film Club All-Day Film Festival!

This may Bank holiday come and join us and The Duke brings you 3 films which have never been before seen in the U.K. – that’s right – NEVER BEFORE ON ANY FORMAT.

To start the day we have 'The Age Of Assassins' from Japan – a terrific heady, visually stunning piece of pop-culture madness circa 1967. Simulatenously a spy spoof and an ice cool spy movie, this little-known gem will certainly start the day in an unforgettable way.

Then we have ‘Death On A Rainy Sunday’ – a French thriller never before translated into English - a chilling, stylish Gothic piece of horror which influences films even now! (just watch ‘L’interieur aftwerwards and you’ll know!) Let us say if you miss this one, you will miss one of the most amazing experiences of a lifetime!

And finally we bring the day to an explosion of madness by bringing you ‘Fatal Deviation' – the first martial arts epic from....IRELAND. A complete labour of love and passion if this film does not make you howl with laughter and love Jean Claude Van Damme all over again, we will eat our hats!

And of course , could that be all?

NO! In true Duke tradition we’re going to have not one, but TWO editions of the TRAILER TRASH, punchy shorts that will blow your mind away and a special edition of the QUIZ with prizes so good, you’ll want to show the whole world what you’ve won.

So come on down to the Duke on May 31st Bank Holiday and join us in our first unforgettable all dayer! If you dont feel like watching all 3 films then feel free to pop in for a single film - Death On A Rainy Sunday is not to be missed.

Doors open at 3.30 – the whole thing kicks of at 4.00! Ends at 10PM

3.30PM - Doors Open

4PM - Age Of Assassins (1967)

6PM - Death On A Rainy Sunday (1986)

8PM - Fatal Deviation (1998)

10PM - End

FREE ENTRY! FREE ENTRY! FREE ENTRY! FREE ENTRY! FREE ENTRY!
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Hi, this is Alex again, just wanted to remind you that this time next week it's the next Duke night.

Feel free to come along for all 3 films or just pop in for 1, do try and make it along to see Death On A Rainy Sunday, this is one of our favourite horror thrillers and it's super rare, so this might be your only chance to see it.

Thanks, Alex.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Thanks to everyone who came along to our Triple Bill event, it was great to see so many people come out for such a diverse selection of films.

The Duke will return on Monday 28th June with:

Andrew Kam Night: The Unknown King Of Hong Kong Action Cinema

Full details coming very soon!

Thanks, Alex.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

I'm so gutted I missed the last two films - would be good to know what people thought of them... I was especially gutted on missing out on the Irish martial arts movie! :-)