Dead By Dawn

A forum for news and stuff concerning events of interest
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Dead By Dawn

Post by Alex J »

I am thinking of going to this year's Dead By Dawn festival, as it handily coincides with some holidays I need to take, so I wondered if anyone else on the forum had been before? If so, what's it like? How does it compare to Frightfest in terms of set up, relaxed atmosphere etc?
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Dead By Dawn

Post by FranksWildYears »

I've gone to Dead By Dawn every year for a long time - it's far and away my favourite festival and whilst FrightFest is great, sometimes it's nice not to have to spend a working weeks worth of hours planning which films to see, what clashes with what, where to sit and so on. You just turn up and sit facing in the right direction with your eyes open and Adele's sorted the rest out.

The programme is consistently the best (which isn't a criticism of FF - obviously it's going to be easier when you only need to pick a quarter of the number of films) I see every year - naturally a lot of that's subjective and down to personal taste; it was a close run thing with Celluloid Screams last year - the venue is terrific and Edinburgh is a nice place, if not as much fun as Glasgow. Plus whilst it's relaxed to the point of having a 3am bar licence, they throw people out if they put their phones on which is brill.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! Presumably it's ok to take food, drink, bags etc into the auditorium? I don't usually eat inside, although I will have a few swigs of coke during the film, but sometimes you don't get chance to hunt for food so I tend to bring along all I need for the day so I can scoff away in-between films...
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

Yes, it's fine - I don't think I've ever been to a festival where bags weren't allowed in and there's a Sainsbury's Local just around the corner to the right. There's also Nandos, Wagamama, McDonalds and so on as well as a chipper that's open until 3am all within 5-10 minutes walk and a decent break is built in every evening for a proper meal.

The only real rules all basically amount to the same thing which is not disturbing other people, whether it's by being late, making a noise or using a phone. There's a comprehensive page with all this stuff on the DBD site :).
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Cheers FranksWildYears! Much appreciated once again! Probably worth a pint if our paths cross up there!