F

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

F

Post by jonbly »

A bit too long in the intro, but eventually we got Ils on steroids. Just a shame that the victims never managed to get their act together and make a stand.

Overall, jonbly has to say that offering a A-level in advanced ninja studies was probably a mistake...

Well paced, well acted.

8/10
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: F

Post by lisy-babe »

I agree with jonbly about the length of the intro. But I kinda felt that the intro never really ended. I felt like I spent the whole film waiting for it to really get going.

It wasn't splattery enough to be a splatter film. It wasn't suspense-filled enough to be a suspense film. I felt it sat some place between and didn't really work.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

loved it to bits thought the pace was great built the tension and suspense nicely. i liked they didnt make stand and that all they good do was to try and survive, also liked how the "hoods" were kept ambigus...were they supernatural> were they "just" kids, etc. brilliant
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Lyns
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Lyns »

I think this may be the best film of the festival for me, I thought it was well set up, the pacing and acting was good, the dialogue was natural and the 'bad guys' were suitably sinister. I loved that the violence was off screen and the viewer only got to see the aftermath, the imagination of the viewer is a wonderful thing and is vastly underused - sometimes what you don't see is far more scarier than what you do see.

F is an engaging and solid horror film with an intriguing final scene dilemma for the leading actor.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

This was really surprisingly, i don't really like that "hoodie horror" kinda stuff like Eden Lake, or CTL this year, but this was different to that, loved the way the hoodies were silent and faceless, made them seem almost other-worldly and demonic.

To start with I thought the hoodies were just gonna cause some trouble like throwing the milk shake and then bugger off, but then they started killing the staff, and it got extremely tense and serious. A few comic moments with the cowardly security guard, but apart from that this was pretty dark stuff.

Extremely bleak and dark ending, with so many things left unresolved, but it worked - a happy ending wouldn't have suited it. Great film overall, definitely the best one of Friday.
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Heiko »

Hm... liked the movie... but after the director's opening speech calling it a 'remake' of Assault, well, I would have expected something a bit less 'die alone'...

still, the hood were nice menacing in a non-supernatural, non-bumbling way, giving the movie the right touch of terror. Thumbs up on that one!
banana man
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by banana man »

Enjoyed it a lot. I agree with Lisy that it didn't really fit into one genre or other but not sure that mattered - it still worked pretty well. There was a lot of great tension and I found myself hiding behind my hands a bit.

Agree with Jonbly as well that it was "Them" on steriods. Not sure the director paid homage to it when he did his post film talk (I missed his pre-film talk). Probably should have anyway cos without a doubt the comparisons were obvious
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

I enjoyed this one and the longish preamble didn't bother me. The hoodies were suitably menacing and agile - I like that in my baddies! And I liked the ambiguous ending, but I think I would have chosen to save my daughter over my spouse too.
GeorgeCaplin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by GeorgeCaplin »

Really enjoyed it, the only thing I would say was it was too gory. Yes I can't believe I said it either, but some of the mutilated deaths I think took the feel away. On the whole though an excellent film and great acting.
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

I didn't like this film very much, it didn't have a very cohesive story and it almost felt like the middle part of the story was missing. The idea that the teacher, who is the victim here is to blame for getting attacked and that he may even get sued was almost as bad as getting fired while being buried alive!
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

chary wrote:I didn't like this film very much, it didn't have a very cohesive story and it almost felt like the middle part of the story was missing. The idea that the teacher, who is the victim here is to blame for getting attacked and that he may even get sued was almost as bad as getting fired while being buried alive!
I loved these two points... In real life these things are totally believable for me the teacher would get the blame (as of course he pushed the student over the edge) and as an employer you would find any route to not having to pay out a multimillion insurance claim on a death. Its sad but life sucks, as much as we don't want it too things like that happen everyday and as watching the screen you get pissed off and know its true.
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I have to say it was a disappointment. Took too long to get going and whatever else it might be, it's NOT a siege movie. Everyone's in the building and they can go outside! Not terrible, but ultimately it's a bit unremarkable, and doesn't really make sense. Do these kids do this every night? If not, why have they picked tonight? And if so, why have they picked tonight to start killing people? The idea that a group of kids would invade their school, split up and creep around dancing on the tables when there's no-one else around to witness it seems a bit peculiar to me. Maybe if its release coincides with a rash of Daily Bleat headlines about classroom discipline, it might resonate in the way Eden Lake's message about chav yoof chimed with headlines of feral dole scum....
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Really really good movie - one of the best of the festival
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

My partner works for David Schofield's agent and she mentioned to him that i had been at Frightfest and had loved F he sent a really nice email saying thankyou so much for her kind words and that he was thrilled by the reaction they got at frightfest he said "Joe and the fans are the reason we made it!". very cool
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I was surprised at the round of applause this film got. Some ghost hoodies kill people who can't be bothered to fight back.... and more specifically the victims could have left the school whenever they felt like it. Looked good, but no substance.