The Tortured

The movies of 2010 still live
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: The Tortured

Post by brad1000 »

sounds like you guys need to watch fench/canadian film "7 days" instead...now thats a movie

http://www.24framespersecond.net/index. ... er-7-days/
the house shot her !!!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

AnotherSchmuck wrote:Award for worst Child actor of the weekend...Definitely.
I'd have to say the little girl in The Red Balloon pipped him to the post.
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

The Soapmaker wrote:
AnotherSchmuck wrote:Award for worst Child actor of the weekend...Definitely.
I'd have to say the little girl in The Red Balloon pipped him to the post.
But at least she didn't really say anything not that the one in Tortured did but I got a feeling they used him off shot with dialogue more because he was that bad.
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Not the last of the weekend's difficult moral quandaries, but interesting. It does have the somewhat annoying Twisted Pictures gimmick of condensing the whole movie into a 90-second blipvert in the final reel (but then how else could we come out of a Saw movie thinking that it made sense?) but overall it was okay. Nothing better than that though.

Yes, it's unlikely that there just happened to be another bloke in the van that the husband didn't see, and the whole twist rests on the notion that the two criminals look so alike that the parents never realise that he isn't the object of their obsessive vengeance.

@brad1000 - 7 Days is on my rentals queue, and I look forward to it. I was hoping to get it before seeing The Tortured, but alas, 'twas not to be.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
narcan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by narcan »

Terrible. The only film I saw all weekend that I couldn't find anything positive in.

The laughable dialogue made it a serious contender as this years Giallo/Mirrors. Someone I spoke to afterward quite astutely said that it appeared as if the filmmakers had shot 2 alternate endings but then included them both in the movie!
Read Narcan's horror, sci-fi, exploitation & dirty movie reviews at the Grindhouse Cinema Database:
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/User:Narcan
http://www.facebook.com/grindhousedatabase
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Not bad - watchable - but yes agree see 7 Days instead which is much better
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

i know its a crowded genre but i really thought "7 days" brought something new to the table.a really emotionally resonant film experience with some really shocking scenes.......involving crediting the audience with intelligence....how rare is that these days. great effects too....but really its the acting that stood out for me.

peace
the house shot her !!!
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Have to admit I didn't really get the ending. I understood they got the wrong guy but why he killed himself and why they didn't recognize, they got the wrong guy (his face/head wasn't THAT damaged after the accident) I can't understand.
Including a dream sequence to show even more torture made me go: Whatever!, and some of the dialogue was just too bad to repeat.
At least it moved fast enough.
6/10
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Also, not sure if I missed something here (god I hope I did...), but I thought the husband didn’t work? The day the kid got snatched, he said bye to his wife as she left to go to work, with her making a comment that SOMEBODY had to make a living for them all, whilst he stayed home and lounged round in the garden with their son? But then later he steals stuff from the ambulance and a colleague tells him that it’s too soon after his son's death for him to come back to work? Sorry, what!?

If only the wounds had been as gaping as the plot holes...
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

world_of_skin wrote:Also, not sure if I missed something here (god I hope I did...), but I thought the husband didn’t work? The day the kid got snatched, he said bye to his wife as she left to go to work, with her making a comment that SOMEBODY had to make a living for them all, whilst he stayed home and lounged round in the garden with their son? But then later he steals stuff from the ambulance and a colleague tells him that it’s too soon after his son's death for him to come back to work? Sorry, what!?

You didn't miss anything it was just pure arse...he is meant to be a Doctor as in the original but this was cut together so badly (and scripted) that things like that were kind of looked over until they were deemed appropriate to the forward motion of the narrative and also second to him being Doctor how old is he..... 16?

I just could not believe he was a Dad and Doctor to be honest.
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

For me, the weakest one of the day. Badly written script. I liked the story but again shame the way it played out. Jesse Metcalfe really isn't a very good actor. Did not feel the anger from him. Also a shame about the rushed ending. Would of been a better film if had two strong leads.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

AnotherSchmuck wrote:
world_of_skin wrote:Also, not sure if I missed something here (god I hope I did...), but I thought the husband didn’t work? The day the kid got snatched, he said bye to his wife as she left to go to work, with her making a comment that SOMEBODY had to make a living for them all, whilst he stayed home and lounged round in the garden with their son? But then later he steals stuff from the ambulance and a colleague tells him that it’s too soon after his son's death for him to come back to work? Sorry, what!?

You didn't miss anything it was just pure arse...he is meant to be a Doctor as in the original but this was cut together so badly (and scripted) that things like that were kind of looked over until they were deemed appropriate to the forward motion of the narrative and also second to him being Doctor how old is he..... 16?

I just could not believe he was a Dad and Doctor to be honest.
what original??
the house shot her !!!
grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by grzegorz »

hmm... atrocious? deplorable? complete and utter crap? if one saw one movie from Twisted Pictures he saw them all. The same stylistic approach to movie making as the Saw franchise. the same colour palette, the same style of visual effects, the same crappy twists. done by the numbers, numbers from "Complete Idiot's Guide To Mediocre Screenwriting" - how to show sorrow? how to show remorse? how to show doubt? OMG this film was so bad, that i could go on and on, but kicking movie along the lines of Saw or similar is low in itself. so, sufficient to say - worst movie of FF 2010. but the edit from the torture scene to the sex one - hilarious.

and i thought that Isle Of Dogs or Primal had bad lines in them. this was like, imagining the worst pain ever experienced, but it was worse ;]
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Some may label this as torture prawn, but it could have been so much more graphic. There were some interesting dilemmas presented throughout the movie and I liked how one of the couple kept getting cold feet about what they were doing at different points, while the other wanted to keep going. The ongoing changes in this dynamic between the characters reminded me of how gangs egg each other on, even though some are having second thoughts. Also liked the twist at the end, even if it was a little far-fetched (something that can be levelled at much of the film). 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

world_of_skin wrote:Yep, hence my Horseman comparison... He had to pursue too.

Also, in The Tortured, when the parents were torturing him to try and get him to say the kid's name, and he finally did, which they thought proved guilt (or, rather, rememberance) - surely that should have been the catalyst for a harsher, more violent, adrenaline-fuelled reaction? Instead the woman was just smug about it to her husband!
I thought they only got him to say the kid's name in the wife's dream rather than the 'real life' torture sequences...but maybe I'm mistaken.

Horrible film, but not for the right reasons.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?