ACCOMMODATION 2013!!

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: ACCOMMODATION 2013!!

Post by **suzy** »

streetrw wrote:I've also booked at HHH, and five nights at about £38 a night ain't bad for the West End of London on a Bank Holiday weekend. You're only really there to sleep and eat breakfast anyway, so there's no real need for the trimmings.
Totally agree, I love HHH , especially with that huge Buffett breakfast every morning lol and it's a short walk to the Empire.
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

HHH is too cheap and central and historical to resist.

Now just have to hope I either get in the sleep queue, or (chance being a fine thing) the Empire website has had a small upgrade to deal with demand this year - or at least keep your seat(s) until you've completed the transaction.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

I just booked at HHH now. They still have a bunch of rooms left, and also there's a deal on currently for 15% off when you stay 4 nights or more there, which is perfect.

http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/residence ... olborn.htm

Deal is on until 27th April. Got my ticket for about £142, which is loads better than it was last year, and only about £20 more that a couple of years ago.

I didn't stay at HHH last year and went to Carr-Saunders, but it's just *slightly* too far away so I was tube-ing in every day instead. Still, they had a proper cooked breakfast each day, unlike HHH which is all cold stuff. However I'll take location over cooked breakfast I think. 15 minutes more in bed each morning!
Twitter: @ArghZombies
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

We finally decided to skip frightfest this year :(
A double room for 5 nights would be 365.50pounds (that is 140(!)) pounds more than in former years at HHH. Cheapest flight is 140 Euros per person. Considering the problems we had last year getting our festival passes its just not worth the substantial costs. Too bad :roll:
Just checked my records:
2010, it was 66 Euros/night for a double.
2011 we payed 67 Euros/night for a double room
2012 it was 79 Euros/night but in one of the very small twin rooms
2013 would be 85 Euros/night for the double
Talk about rising prices...
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

HHH isn't my first choice but what other options are there. I've stayed at Rosebery Halls and that wasn't much better tbh but Holborn has the location. If I had the money to stay somewhere decent I would but you aint gonna see change out of £100 a night at a travelodge either.

It is a dump, the facilities are minimal but as was said earlier it's just a place to sleep. A cooked breakfast and wifi (even at a small charge) would be a bonus tho.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
mike108
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by mike108 »

Travelodge in covent garden isn't as bad as you might think if you book early, currently £268 for 5 nights, double room
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

mike108 wrote:Travelodge in covent garden isn't as bad as you might think if you book early, currently £268 for 5 nights, double room
Last year I paid £284 for four nights at the Park Plaza Riverbank (Albert Embankment) through Hotwire. It was about 1.5 miles away, walking through Westminster mostly which felt quite safe, but the night bus went from just round the corner from the Empire and cost a quid I think (on Oyster card). Will check out the Travelodge in CG, thanks for the heads up.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

People on here who are whining about HHH being dodgy confuse me. yeah, last year's price hike was just wrong but it's all about the films kids, all i want is a bed to crash in and something to eat in the morning to power me up and the HHH has that for me in spades. Hell, i got a room there for september 13th to go to a gig and it's still only £40?!

Remember children, all you need is something rest your head for a few hours, if the pillows are too thin bring your own, i bring an extra from home and i'm juts ducky! :green:
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

mike108 wrote:Travelodge in covent garden isn't as bad as you might think if you book early, currently £268 for 5 nights, double room
Yeah, I've stayed there a couple of times for the fest and other city-based shenanigans. It's about as cheap as you can get for a "named" hotel in the capital and quite convenient. Rooms are boxy, but they're en-suite and comfy.

The only thing with me, as I live 30 miles outside the capital, I only stay overnight if I want to catch the films that run into the wee small hours. My last trains are around midnight, so I can commute easily if I don't see the "late" films. So I always wait until I've seen the full line-up before I book any rooms. Might sound petty, but I've been "burnt" by the likes of "Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror" :roll: and other "quirky" Asian offerings, that I would rather catch up with on DVD (or not see at all *cough*Snoop*cough*), rather than pay for a nights accommodation. Having said that, as the quality of the midnight films were staggering last year ("Maniac" / "Grabbers" ), I'll probably being having to do some last-minute research to get a room.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I got the Kings Cross Tune Hotel at £195 for five nights, which is twenty quid more than I paid last year. Fifteen minutes max on the night bus and then five minutes walk to get back - spotless, modern, private and fantastic beds/shower; would recommend to anybody who wants to spend their down time like a member of the human race, although it's gone up since to £250. You can walk down on the mornings in twenty-twenty five minutes or so if you can be bothered.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:People on here who are whining about HHH being dodgy confuse me. yeah, last year's price hike was just wrong but it's all about the films kids, all i want is a bed to crash in and something to eat in the morning to power me up and the HHH has that for me in spades. Hell, i got a room there for september 13th to go to a gig and it's still only £40?!

Remember children, all you need is something rest your head for a few hours, if the pillows are too thin bring your own, i bring an extra from home and i'm juts ducky! :green:
Snap.

I seldom travel without a pillow of my own, or at the very least my own pillow case.

But most of my travel accommodation is generally hostels anyway - any food on top is always a bonus, even if it only stretches to toast.

My room is booked, my travel is too - roll on next Saturday.
Wiltaim
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Wiltaim »

HHH booked already and also Eurostar ... so I will be there
Twitter: @Rowdoc
Letterboxd: Rowdoc
Entropia Universe : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:People on here who are whining about HHH being dodgy confuse me. yeah, last year's price hike was just wrong but it's all about the films kids, all i want is a bed to crash in and something to eat in the morning to power me up and the HHH has that for me in spades. Hell, i got a room there for september 13th to go to a gig and it's still only £40?!
Regardless, I'd rather pay a little more and not stay in a dive. I know it's only to crash, but there's always a chance you might want to go and take some time out.

Plus, the possibility of shared bathroom facilities in student halls makes me :o
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

We booked HHH. Booked train tickets. Just gotta get the festival tickets now :)
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

If there was a reasonable alternative to HHH then i'd snap it up but travelodge at £268 - no thanks

Next year I may stay somewhere further out and report back, £1.20 on the bus for a short journey is at least a price worth paying for something good

HHH only selling point is a dire afternoon film = afternoon siesta
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com