ACCOMMODATION 2013!!

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: ACCOMMODATION 2013!!

Post by DJBenz »

Stayed at LSE Northumberland House, which is an easy five minute walk from the Empire. Hotel prices in London still seem to be subject to "Olympics Tax" and were coming out at £120 a night when I tried to book. Cost £50 a night at Northumberland.

Pros
Rooms clean and functional
Kitchen facilities on each floor
Cheap
24hr Tesco Express on the corner for easy drink/snack purchases

Cons
No wifi (except a lounge on 2nd floor and the lobby) - although I could hook up to the wifi from the hotel next door this isn't guaranteed.
No aircon (hot and sticky weekend in London)
Pillows not great

Will definitely book this place for next year.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

We stayed at the Z Hotel Soho, which is a decent option to consider for those who're only on day passes, like we were for Sat/Sun. It has complimentary cheese and wine apparently, which they tried to get me to stay for on checkin, but which would've meant missing No One Lives :lol:

It was clean, quiet, reasonably priced (£100 for a three minute walk up the road towards Shaftesbury Aveue), good location in comparison to the cinema, and unfussy. Obvious pros are having your own bathroom and complete privacy, cons are clearly price, if we got a full festival pass next year.

I just can't, in my mind, get past the idea of sharing bathrooms in somewhere like HHH though. If I need a pee in the night, I don't want to wait outside the bathroom for some random stranger to finish their business :( The idea of it just makes me a bit shuddery - clearly I've been a non-student far too long!
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

I stayed at the Z hotel last year and loved it. I could not stay again this year as I could not afford it as I had an 8 day stay in London. This year I stayed in the Tokyo Style Villiers Apartments which was decent enough but illegally sub let so I doubt I'll stay again. I too refuse to share facillities I need a double bed. Ff is essentially my summer holiday so I need some luxury.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

thatcambridgebird wrote:I just can't, in my mind, get past the idea of sharing bathrooms in somewhere like HHH though. If I need a pee in the night, I don't want to wait outside the bathroom for some random stranger to finish their business :( The idea of it just makes me a bit shuddery - clearly I've been a non-student far too long!
FWIW: I've been staying at Holborn for every FrightFest since 2006, and I've never had to wait outside the loo or shower for someone else. I've never found anyone waiting outside for me to finish either.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

same. The times I've stayed at HHH I hardly ever see anyone. So quiet when you consider how many people are staying in the place. Always managed to use the w.c. and showers whenever I need to.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

When I've stayed at HHH I've been located within earshot of a shower/toilet so I can wait till I hear people finishing (as it were) - so no need to wait outside.

Actual other hostels I've stayed in I have had to queue, but I think they've probably been busier as they aren't as big.