Curse of Chucky

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Curse of Chucky

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - pretty much perfect for a franchise sequel. Don't leave before the bitter end!
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Curse of Chucky

Post by bounce08 »

Haven't seen the originals but saw 'Bride' and 'Seed'. I quite enjoyed this, some nice gore, and most suprisingly, VERY funny! Some great one liners had the audience cracking up. Fiona Dourif is a rising star, stole the show.

7.5/10
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I've seen, and quite liked, the first, second and fourth entries in the Child's Play franchise. This is probably the weakest of the Child's Play films I've seen, largely due to recycling the standard Child's Play plot of the first two entries (the Chucky doll arrives at a house, a family is introduced and the killings begin), but for a sixth entry this is suprisingly strong and efficiently hits the key notes of franchise, with some brutal murders, laughs, tension, and evil doll action. It's largely predictable but does have a few suprises up its sleeve. It only slips up right at the end when it attempts to explicitly tie itself into Child's Play continuity, which requires the viewer to have seen alll the previous Child's Play films, and ended up confusing me about the sequence of events in Chucky's existence.
5/10
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

So had low expectations for this after the utterly crap Seed Of Chucky, but I was very surprised and it turned out to be pretty ace really. Managed to successsfully erase from the mind the silly jokey Chucky, and for the first half the doll was genuinely creepy. Nice use of one location for pretty much the whole thing, the huge old mansion gave it a claustrophic haunted house style feel. Perfect balance of humour and scares, and wiped the floor with the last few Chuckys, a nice surprise 8/10
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

The previous Chucky films are ones that I've seen way back in my dim and distant past, and I don't think I've ever seen Bride or Seed. Apart from the fact the franchise is about a killer doll, there's not much else I could remember about the history of the series. I thought Curse might have been a film that would only work if you were steeped in Chucky history, but it works remarkably well as a stand alone movie (except for the Tiffany / Andy scenes towards the end). Good popcorn fun though, and some remarkably gory deaths kept this one on a high note for much of its run time. Much more in the spirit of Frightfest than The Dead 2 and would have made a perfect opener.

8/10
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Blast from the past - Curse of Chucky review now live.
http://www.electric-shadows.com/curse-of-chucky/

Thought it was surprisingly good after the misstep of Seed of... and actually makes me want to return to the original Child's Play movies. I think one Chucky film every 10 years would be a nice way to mark off the decades!
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Spoilers ***

I was sceptical about this beforehand, but I enjoyed this more than I thought. Plenty of wit and knowing humour, with some suspenseful sequences. The Nika character was great, played well by Fiona Dourif - hopefully we'll see more of both in future. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Good fun. Chucky isn't scary, though (you want a scary doll? Go see The Conjuring!), and the film isn't scary. But it's an efficient no-think horror entertainment, probably the best in the series after the first film.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

How many sodding "endings" does this film need?

Some of them would have been better played out over/after the end credits.

But that just makes me sound harsh, I enjoyed this film a lot.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Here's some stuff what we shot for Chucky's premiere - thanks to all those who spoke to camera;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3iUJC4ASfM
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?