You're Next

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

You're Next

Post by bounce08 »

Blown away, so glad I stayed to catch this. Loved the plot twists and turns, it tweaked quite a few genre stereotypes and is surely a trend setter. Definately lives up to the hype. The audience loved it. Great.

9.5/10
DucDeRichleau
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: You're Next

Post by DucDeRichleau »

Yeah. This definitely delivered. I really hope the film does well enough commercially for it to set a bit of a precedent for smart, mainstream slasher movies. Great to see Ti West playing a struggling, artsy director too :lol:

Solid 9/10, I reckon.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Easily the best of the first day. A strong thriller with an excellent performance from Sharni Vinson at its centre. It takes a while to get going, as the setup drags on too long, but once events start happening the film keeps building to a climax. Its strength was in largely keeping events realistic and believable, and though there were some stupid decisions made by the characters, none of them felt as though they might not have been made by people under pressure in such a situation. The film lacks depth, but it does what it sets out to do, which is to deliver an exciting and entertaining thrill ride.
7/10
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - really good stuff, particulary the acting from all. Just hoped those nailboards were going to still be in place the second time round... and Zee needed a bit more character.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Took a little while to get going with a load of unneccesary back story and arguments with the characters, but once the arrows started being fired this totally kicked ass. I guessed correctly that the people in on it would be Christian (cos whenever I've seen AJ Bowen he's always played a bad guy), and Zee, cos her sultry demeanour and thick eyeliner just screamed evil bitch! Some amazing lines in this "prove you love me and fuck me next to your dead mother", and "I stuck a blender in his head and killed him" lol.

I really liked A Horrible Way To Die a few years ago in the Discovery Screen, so it's good to see Adam Wingard successfully making the transition to mainstream horror, this deserves to do well 8/10
Last edited by Wolfshade on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Definite high note to end the evening on. So refreshing to see a character in a horror movie move away from "I'll just bop him on the head once and hope it's enough to stop him from getting up in an out of focus shot behind me at some point". When she went for it with the meat tenderiser, it was such a great moment. Sometimes it's difficult to get through the last film with sleep trying to catch up with you, but this once kept me buzzing throughout. Tense and tightly paced, with some simply stunning kills.

9/10
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

There's something about modern home-invasion/revenge thrillers which don't click with me... So this was up there with Storm Warning and the I Spit On Your Grave remake as mostly a waste of time... 4/10

Best bit - the killers taking the time to include the apostrophe when they wrote the film's title on the wall... :D
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Full You're Next review now up.
http://www.electric-shadows.com/youre-next/

Likely to be in my Fest Top 5 - smart take on the slasher film with a nicely chilly atmosphere and good line in black humour.
sherbetbizarre wrote: Best bit - the killers taking the time to include the apostrophe when they wrote the film's title on the wall... :D
In these days of text speak and dropping grammar standards, it's heartening to see with FrightFest movies even psychos respect proper use of contractions!
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Rob@Sky wrote:In these days of text speak and dropping grammar standards, it's heartening to see with FrightFest movies even psychos respect proper use of contractions!
I saw someone refer to the film on Twitter as Your Next. :x

I hear the sequel is going to be They're Next (aka Their Next / There Next). ;)
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

I'd see all three of those! :D
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
svengalidonut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by svengalidonut »

Not quite on the same level as Them , the 2006 horror movie.

Strong start, but became increasingly silly and implausible.
Characters would nonchalantly walk in front of kitchen windows even though an expert crossbow marksman was on the loose.
And despite the constant targeting, the same characters would also appear strangely reluctant to turn off the lights.
Why would the over-anxious mother go for a nap upstairs amidst all this terror and carnage?
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

There have been a lot of home invasion movies in recent years, but this offered a fresh take on the subgenre, with many twists and turns - some I guessed, some I didn't. The acting was variable, but Sharni Vinson excelled, while I liked the Zee character. Plenty of effective setpieces and dark humour that worked well. 9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Awesome home invasion film.

The best of the first day.
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

I think it was the best film of the festival by far. Sharni has come a long way from her beginnings and I was extremely impressed. It had a good atmosphere, tension, characters and the right use of comedy when it was appropriate. It was really clever and I haven't willed on a last girl so much in years.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Easily the highlight of day one. It was just nice to see the killer(s) let all of their potential victims know what was coming from the outset. None of this "I'll be back" nonsense as someone walks off into a darkened room to get sliced n' diced while everyone else remains oblivious to the fact. The first victim gets a crossbow bolt through the head in front of everybody in the opening few minutes meaning everyone knows what's going on from the outset. And when Erin starts laying into the first masked assailant she can get her hands on, also in front of everyone, I knew I was in for a good time. Great stuff. 8/10.