Dementamania

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Dementamania

Post by jonbly »

5/10 - ugh. Couldn't get into this one at all. 'Crazy guy falls over' pretty much sums this one up.
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Dementamania

Post by Charlie »

Worse film so far for me im afraid. Poor mans american psycho. 3/10.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

Well, I tend to enjoy an Unreliable Narrator movie, so I had fun with this. It's a shame it didn't amount to much in the end, but it gets a charitable 6 of my 10.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

As a positive it was better than DAYLIGHT
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I liked the flashy direction which held my interest and some enjoyably quirky characters, but unfortunately this never goes anywhere: Ed is seeing visions at the beginning of the film and it never really advances from there so that he's still seeing visions until the end. There's a great bit towards the beginning where Ed has a vision of the office with everybody dead, and oppressive music and lighting that I thought was about to be the start of the film getting really good, but it sort of tread water for the rest of the running time. At the end there is one more twist that only amounts to even more visions and nullifies a lot of the earlier events by excessive rationalisation. The stultifying life of the corporate drone is captured well and this film suggests that Kit Ryan has a lot of promise if he can work with a more focused and interesting script.
4/10
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Some good ideas and great practical effects, but overall quite meandering and unfocused with no real payoff in the end. Sometimes it seemed like it didn't know what kind of film it wanted to be. I half expected the lines between reality and fantasy to start getting blurred and he would end up actually killing someone, but that never happened until the alleyway scene and even then it wasn't a turning point. Could have been much more effective had it been a gradual descent into madness. Instead, it took the elevator to the madness basement and pretty much stayed there.

4/10
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

jonbly wrote:5/10 - ugh. Couldn't get into this one at all. 'Crazy guy falls over' pretty much sums this one up.
Can you review Dark Tourist in the same way? "Fat guy gets bummed"?
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Didn't really go anywhere - he's halucinating from the start and it just goes on like that. Some very cool scenes, like the girl with tentacles covering in spots in the club, but overall it's kinda pointless 3/10
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

OK this was great. I thought the direction was really good and there was an excellent attention to detail, some of the fade-ins/fade-outs and effects, symbolism etc were very cool. i really liked the lighting and general crazed, oppressive atmosphere. thought it got more and more crazy throughout and kept my attention really well. very funny too. and well acted for a low-budget brit-flick. very surprised by this one. my only gripe is that it should have ended in the hell elevator thing. i didn't need to be told he was mad, i would have rather had my own interpretation and not have it spelled out - whi do film makers feel a need to tie everything up?!? more ambiguity please. this would have been a greater film if they had ended it sooner, however, i loved it (although I know i am in a minority).

fire away ;)
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

A bit overlong for me, but was certainly funny in places.

Just a bit uneven which was a shame.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A nightmarish mind-f*** meets "The Office" with plenty of bloody visuals and echoes of "American Psycho". It captured the frustrations of office work and modern life well. The main drawback was the feeling that it had been done before and better, but a good, low budget British effort that I'll happily watch again. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

Stephen with ph wrote:
jonbly wrote:5/10 - ugh. Couldn't get into this one at all. 'Crazy guy falls over' pretty much sums this one up.
Can you review Dark Tourist in the same way? "Fat guy gets bummed"?
Lol best two reviews here :)
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I'm not a fan of movies where a vast percentage of the movie is, or might be, taking place in someone's head and isn't really happening. (See 1408 for an example.) Still, it did remind me why I don't want a career high up the corporate ladder. Some nice moments, though
Spoiler:
I guessed early on that one of the characters wasn't actually there; however I didn't guess that the two others were also figments of a deranged mind.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
alacal2
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by alacal2 »

Did nothing for me I'm afraid. Really poor acting and one of the worst and most unrealistic representations of office life ever.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

It is one of those films I felt compelled to like.

I didn't. Some nice ideas and I had no massive problem with the acting. But I didn't like the script and the whole story felt poor and the pacing was static.

When the director explains some of the tricks he tried to employ (filming over different shoulders, etc) I felt even more let down that the material didn't measure up to the intent.