V/H/S 2

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

V/H/S 2

Post by Rob@Sky »

V/H/S 2 should go down pretty well, although i think the first one still has the edge. Part 2 belongs to Gareth Evans and Timo Tjahjanto's segment Safe Haven. A great scare machine that one.

Full review here: http://www.electric-shadows.com/vhs2/

Cheers, Rob
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: V/H/S 2

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - more even than the first, and better overall quality. Still mostly wobble-cam, though, and without the high-point of the first film's haunted house sequence.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Found the first segment more scary than Safe Haven, and did enjoy the whole thing about the same as the first movie. I think it's definitely going to be in my top 5 of the fest.

8/10
Wortsie
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Wortsie »

Really enjoyed this (more than I expected to in fact).
8/10
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

Didn't really float my boat - lots of sound & fury, signifying nothing. The alien abduction sequence left me cold, and I got irritated by blokey's decision to watch a video instead of reacting to his partner's demise - once you start pulling at threads like that, you know that the movie has lost you.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

Was bored to tears, but I didn't like the first one either and I only bothered because I didn't get a Wither ticket. Pedestrian, try-hard and the wraparound was cack.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Most of the anthology segments are quite good to decent, with good jump scares and humour, although without some of the more psychological elements of the previous V/H/S, but the "Safe Haven" segment stands head and shoulders above the rest: disturbing and horrific, it builds to an excellent climax. Individual segment ratings: Wraparound story 6/10, Phase I Clinical Trials 5/10 (decent jump scares, not much of a payoff), A Ride in the Park 6/10 (some humour but not as horrific as it should have been), Safe Haven 8/10 (excellent), Slumber Party Alien Abduction 4/10 (not much of a plot, but the interactions between the kids were good). Overall 7/10
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Eye transplant - excellent and scary
Zombies in park - silly and not as funny as it wanted to be, seemed out of place as the other segments were all serious and scary
Chinese cult - long but brilliant
Aliens - loud, obnoxious and camera too shakey, but scary and intense.

better than the first film, but would have been even better with a serious section in place of the zombie story 8/10
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

This was amazing. another highlight. The POV zombie thing was really clever and a great idea. Safe haven was the most mental thing i've ever seen and the alien abduction one was hilarious and also totally nuts and quite scary.

lived up to expectations.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Possible spoilers ***

A superior sequel with fewer weaker segments than the first, although I was disappointed to see zombies appear 3 times in the anthology - but this is reflective of the current horror scene, which is currently overrun with them! My favourite segment was the bats*** crazy cult one, but I also enjoyed the artificial eye one. I felt the alien segment was pretty basic with too much wobblycam. I thought the wraparound story was better than the one in "V/H/S", but could have been stronger nevertheless. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Was really enjoying this up until the alien abduction story at the end which was all shaky cam and noise and bugger all tension or coherence. The rest of it was great though with the zombie-cam and especially devil cult segments being my favourties. 8/10.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Really enjoyed this on the big screen with a crowd even though I had already watched it on VOD before I realised it was at Frightfest.

Liked it about as much as the first one.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I thought it was more consistent than V/H/S, pretty good but none of the segments really stood out. And the linking story of people watching the VHS tapes is just awkwardly-contrived nonsense.

The Indonesian bit would've been better if they'd cut out a few more minutes and hadn't thrown in everything but the kitchen sink, as Gareth Evans almost seemed to admit in the Q&A.

Clip from The Raid 2 was awesome.
fish head
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by fish head »

Thought this was a good film let down by a couple of little things, safe haven was a great segment but I didn't rate the last scene when the baphomet type thing spoke, also didn't think the zombie in park segment worked with the others a little to ropey for my taste, but good overall vibe a solid 8/10.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I was not a big fan of the original, so this may have inflated by liking of this movie.

The wrap around story was ok.

The eye transplant on got me with the scares every time - but that is my own psychology of a fear of eyes, children and people in white (I blame Ring).

I enjoyed the zombie pov one, possibly more relieved that it could have been far worse.

The cult one could have done with being a full, proper, non-found footage film really.

The aliens one featured sufficiently creepy aliens, but harked back too much to the 'whoo-spring break/jock' feeling that persisted through the original V/H/S. Plus I couldn't take it seriously with the fake dog hair always in the bottom of the shot.