In Fear

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

In Fear

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - alright for a min-budget movie... but jonbly really couldn't get into this one. Maybe because Tom's not very likeable? Deeply bored by the mid-point.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: In Fear

Post by Stephen with ph »

So it didn't remind you of Jean Paul Sartre's No Way Out?
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Actually it did, but only because jonbly's in the middle of a row...
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Just too much driving around and too little threat or much horror. After around a third of the way through I was convinced that there was going to be a "Dead End" style "they were dead all along" twist, but it never happened and left most of the events of the film completely inexplicable. Nice cinematography and decent acting kept it interesting for longer than it should have been.
3/10
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

you could drive the whole way across Ireland in the time they spent in the car
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

jonbly wrote:Actually it did, but only because jonbly's in the middle of a row...
The couple in the car seemed to spend most of the movie in the middle of a row.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

I actually really liked this one. Not sure if it just got me at a weak moment but I was pretty tense throughout. Thought as with 'Ils' aka 'Them' it managed to raise the tension and maintain it throughout.

Also found Tom to turn into a bit of an unpleasant guy quite early on but that just added to the tension for me as wondered if he was involved.

Definitely one of my favourites of the fest.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

I really got on well with this one too.

The first 45mins or so were a masterclass in sustaining a high level of tension and dread, as panic and fear began to creep in. Also thought the director knew exactly where to put the camera for the most threatening angle, when to have the couple get out the car, played great games with light and shadow.

Thought the plot was strong enough that when the film had to reveal what was going on it didn't spoil the tension. And basically, the killer was The Dark Knight's Joker wasn't he and the whole thing was Game Theory - asking Lucy who was to die, providing her with an escape, her being unwittingly involved in the "boot of the car" shock.

Some films just strike a chord and this one definitely did with me.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

It's gratifying to see demonstrated that an effective, tense and powerful movie can be made on a low budget without resorting to horror cliches or zombie travelogues. Like The Missionary, this movie was sufficiently self-confident to rely on a slow build-up and a climax which, in exercising restraint, remained faithful to what had gone before. One of the highlights of the weekend 9/10
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Too much driving, everything too well signposted (except the bloody hotel), and an ending that didn't really work. There's a lesson here kids: if you can't find the hotel on Tripadvisor, don't expect it to be a slice of paradise.

That said, not too bad a brit flick, despite its faults.

6/10
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

The first half worked really well and really build up the tension, but then the climax blew it for me. You spend ages watching them getting lost, getting freaked out by strange signs appearing, their clothes being put in the middle of the road, a creepy masked man lurking behind them etc, and you're ready for an intense finale involving a group of psychos or something supernatural....but then whats actually waiting for them turns out to be really lame.

And the characters seemed very dumb, they repeatedly followed the signs to the hotel endlessly despite the fact it was obvious they were going round in circles, surely going a different way would have helped? Also what was the deal with the hotel when the girl got there? Was it long since abandoned, if so how did they manage to make a booking there in the first place 6/10
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

I'm sure this film started out as a "Dead End" style film with the couple being dead and not knowing it. The titles ended with a car crash.....the mysterious figure was wearing a surgeon's mask....her clothes were strewn along the road.... It seems to me like they gave themselves the freedom to change the script as they shot the film and this led to a confused and disappointing thriller.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Possible spoilers ***

Solid terror trip as a couple's mini-break descends ever deeper into a hellish, serpentine nightmare. A good performance from the heroine, although the villain teetered on the brink of becoming too pantomime, but just about stayed believable. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Like its cast, it goes round and round in circles but never actually gets anywhere. There's certainly a mood about it in the early stages, but it gets a bit boring very quickly. Also: shouldn't they have run out of petrol long ago? It was stuck on the E For Empty for hours.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I liked it. The idea of being lost in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, going round in circles, is genuinely scary to me, although there is always the feeling that things will somehow magically sort themselves out if you can survive until daylight.