The Banshee Chapter 3D

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

The Banshee Chapter 3D

Post by bounce08 »

Not shown yet, it's on tommorow. I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say, innappropriate 3D aside, I'm expecting this one to be one of the suprise hits of FF this year.

The trailer was creepy and from what little I've heard, sounds promising. Also, of all the films Zachary Quinto has been involved with that I've seen, none have been poor (he produced this).
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: The Banshee Chapter 3D

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - disappointing lack of internal logic in this one. Shame, as there's a good movie in here somewhere.

jonbly's cunning plan to watch this in 2D came to nought, alas - so apologies to anyone disturbed by the sudden shift back to Plan A. Seems they're using a Dolby system here now, rather than the previous RealD3D.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

The 3D was a real problem, in a technical sense with the documentary footage at the start, and throughout whenever we switched to found-footage mode. Maybe it would have been a different story if they'd restricted the use of 3D to the "real" sequences?
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I slept through most of this, although sadly not all of it.

I will, however, be the first tedious wanker to point out that [pedant]the word 'sheriff' is spelt with one 'r' and two 'f's.[/pedant] :)
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Utter crap

2/10
DucDeRichleau
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by DucDeRichleau »

A story about numbers stations and pineal glands sounds like a hoot, but this was a bit of a letdown, I thought. I definitely preferred the Stuart Gordon take on the From Beyond plot line - Banshee Chapter just seemed a bit lacking in terms of coherence. Would have liked a bit more light shed on just what these creatures that wanted to 'wear' people were supposed to be and where they might have come from. I'm all for ambiguity and lingering mystery, but not to the point where I'm no longer invested as a viewer. 4/10
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Poor. A ridiculous story served up with half baked acting and nonsense 3-D. Ted Levine was fun but that's about it.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

3D looked a but tacked on and rather pointless.

Struggled to stay awake in this.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I almost walked during the terrible first 15-20 minutes. I'm glad I didn't because once it cut back on the damnable found footage schtick (I'm not a fan) and focused on teh girlfriend's investigation it was actually a good little thriller. The problem was the 3D which didn't belong and didn't achieve anything - and the effect had even been applied to things like her mobile phonecam and the 1970s UMatic video cameras. It was a pointless distraction more than anything else.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

The director said he wanted it to be more immersive, if that was the plan for using 3D then it was a complete waste of time.

I annoyed me with its constant 1st-person/3rd-person pov changes within scenes.

I agree there is something good in this trying to get out, but it all felt about too forced and ended up not knowing what it wanted to be.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

The 3D was totally inappropriate for the film, the director didn't seem to know if he was making a found-footage movie, a mockumentary or just a regular film.... but I did quite enjoy it. Ted Levine is always good value for money.
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

Could of done with more actual story, i found the reporter to be really annoying and if she'd done a little bit more research it would of made a more interesting film atleast. I did enjoy the Lovecraft reference, is this the first time that Lovecraft and mk-ultra have been put together into one film? I'd be interested to see more in the same vein
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A tense exploration of counter-culture societies and government experiments based on the real-life MK-Ultra tests. I enjoyed this one - the factual basis, suspenseful scenes, the search for forbidden knowledge and moments of humour helped propel this one along nicely. I thought the two lead performances were fine too. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

The Soapmaker wrote:the director didn't seem to know if he was making a found-footage movie, a mockumentary or just a regular film
Agreed. It seemed to dip in and out of found footage at will. Wins the prize hands down for the most pointless 3D ever. In the better group of a fairly lackluster bunch for Monday.