Conspiracy

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Conspiracy

Post by danthsmith »

Original and unexpected with real tension and menace. Just when you had got thoroughly sick of found footage something fresh appears
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Conspiracy

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - not sure what to make of this one. Set up was a bit tedious, but it livened up a bit at the end.
Last edited by jonbly on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

1 hour of boredom followed by twenty odd minutes of found footage and an ending very similar to Kill List.

3/10
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Maybe you need to be into conspiracy theories to really enjoy it, as I found the first half to be just as enthralling as the Wicker Man/Eyes Wide Shut/Kill List climax!
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

DJBenz wrote:1 hour of boredom followed by twenty odd minutes of found footage and an ending very similar to Kill List.

3/10
This exactly.
bernal316
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bernal316 »

Enjoyed this one, and the best film of day 4 for me. Engaging and interesting from the start, a refreshing change of pace and a good addition to the genre. Really liked the final part, and yes it borrows from Wicker man and more recently Kill List, but that did not subtract from its impact.
8/10
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Probably the best film of the (admittedly rather weak) day, I didn't really take it all, so I definitely need to watch it again to get fully into it, but still enjoyed it. The cult leader with the pixellated face sounded positively evil with that voice distortion! 7/10
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Enjoyable thought provoking film culminating in a tense final act.
Atari
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Atari »

I enjoyed this one. An above average David Icke meets The Wicker Man film.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Documentary / found footage style conspiracy theory based thriller, fuelled by paranoia and dread as the investigators get ever deeper into murky political territory. Some may find some of the theories hard to swallow, but personally I thought the film was credible, engrossing and entertaining. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Kill List was my first thought too.

I'd debated whether to see this and I'm quite happy I did.

Lots of people up for the Q&A afterwards, though whether that was due to a general lack of Q&A's, that people like conspiracy theories, or that they actually liked the film I don't know.

I liked the film - it isn't something I need to return to but it was a good bit of film making.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Of the many found footage/pseudo-documentary films on show this year, I thought this was the best and most believable (in the sense that it felt like a real documentary).

Unfortunately I fell asleep for a bit and the film got kind of "buried" for me, as some do when you're watching 20-odd films over five days. I hope to watch it again, on its own, in due course.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Reposting - and replying to this - from another thread:
BabyJaneHudson wrote:THE CONSPIRACY (This movie sucks on so many levels and Im giving this one special attention because it peed me off so badly. :x )

1. This was a propaganda movie pure and simple. The whole point of it was to discredit people who are actually awake to a lot of bulls**t that is going on in this world which lots of people are aware of thanks to great websites like INFOWARS.COM. Check it out for some real horror. Every so called conspiracy mentioned in that movie has been proven with evidence so compelling they cannot be classed as theories - they are fact, 9/11 etc...Funny how they did not include the live news footage of the second tower still standing while the BBC reporter announces that it has fallen - ooops :-

2. The film starts taking the piss out of (and here is the cliche) the fat guy who is a 'conspiracy nut' who has wallpapered his apartment with paper cuttings (please, give me a break). Then one of the piss taking guys is portrayed as becoming a nut because he sees a pattern related to the Tarsus Club.

3. So, they go looking for the fat man who is portrayed as the loser only to forget about looking for him. Then they decide to go to a Tarsus meeting. Not only do they go in they line up for the ritual LMFAO. Like f**k would anyone do that.

4. The guy who gets butchered obviously disappears, but at the end his so called mate who actually sells him out says that it was only a joke (with friends like that who needs...) and he is probably with the other conspiracy guy somewhere slightly pissed off but safe - yeah right !

5. Earlier in the movie and several times a woman comes on talking about paranoia and multiple personality disorder and tries to brainwash the audience into thinking that everyone who could be classed as a conspiracy theorist which is anyone who has a mind of their own and does not believe the mainstream media is a total nut job and mentally ill.

5. Then a NWO scum bag gets the last word at the end portraying a one world government as good because its about uniting nations and all of its people...REALLY...NAH you forgot the bit about the fact that you are eugenicists and believe in mass population reduction of all inferior races and whites who are not considered worthy (non elites), leaving the rest of the population as slaves.

6.Then I have to listen to the guy on stage continually trying to reinforce a negative message using repeatedly derogatory language to again portray a group of people as weirdo freaks, I could hear it in his voice that he knew he was being deceptive. "This weird world of conspiracy with its obsessional paranoia" etc.. He doesn't even pretend not to be biased.

7. He also while on stage says "What's the big deal with a few Elites having some fun in the woods at a meeting....." Ok, in his own film he suggests that a child is being molested is some way. When the guy that dies says he is going to the bog and tries to run away, he opens a door to a room only to see the same guy he was talking to earlier and you hear the sound very very briefly of a child in distress" That is put into the film so you register that a child is being hurt, but so briefly that most people won't even clock it, but it is placed in your subconscious mind because you still heard it. It is a ploy used in television and advertising and all kinds of brainwashing to get people to accept links between certain things, in this case Secret Meetings --> Child Molestation/Paedophillia and making this link accepted. DISGUSTING :evil:

8. I don't watch terrestrial TV because its mostly shite and all media (radio, television, newspapers etc.) other than independents are controlled as they are owned by the very same people that this film is trying to protect. HBO hell yeah and all the channels that put on great series like Game of Thrones, American Horror Story and other interesting documentaries and programs sure - I catch them on the net after they have been broadcast. Loads of Hollywood movies attempt to use propaganda in movies but I can still enjoy them if they are entertaining. I can separate from my intellect and bulls**t detector in order to have fun. Never thought I would be subjected to this crass type of brainwashing at FrightFest though which I hold sacred from that kind of s**t.

JUST BECAUSE I LIKE HORROR MOVIES DOES NOT MAKE ME A BRAINLESS F**KTARD - I KNOW PROPAGANDA WHEN I SEE IT

IF YOU WANT TO PROTECT NWO SCUM WHO ARE WELL KNOWN TO BE INVOLVED IN PAEDOPHILLIA ON A WORLD WIDE SCALE AND THE CAUSE OF SO MUCH SUFFERING AND WORLD TURMOIL - DON"T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE AND DEFINITELY DON"T DO IT AT FRIGHTFEST :- :- :-

SICK F**K
Seriously?
Every so called conspiracy mentioned in that movie has been proven with evidence so compelling they cannot be classed as theories - they are fact, 9/11 etc...
Compelling evidence, yes. But is 9/11 now universally considered an inside job? ...By everyone?
Earlier in the movie and several times a woman comes on talking about paranoia and multiple personality disorder and tries to brainwash the audience into thinking that everyone who could be classed as a conspiracy theorist which is anyone who has a mind of their own and does not believe the mainstream media is a total nut job and mentally ill.
Isn't she the one revealed as a Tarsus PA woman at the end...? Which would be consistent with what she is saying.

The movie is a fake documentary. If someone really made it, they would interview people from both sides, so you will have quotes about them being nut jobs. Otherwise it would just be the type of propaganda you accuse this film of being.
Then a NWO scum bag gets the last word at the end portraying a one world government as good because its about uniting nations and all of its people...REALLY
Yep, it's a horror movie with a dark ending.
NAH you forgot the bit about the fact that you are eugenicists and believe in mass population reduction of all inferior races and whites who are not considered worthy (non elites), leaving the rest of the population as slaves.
I think you are discrediting the audience - we never forgot it was the bad guys who essentially won in the end.
Then I have to listen to the guy on stage continually trying to reinforce a negative message using repeatedly derogatory language to again portray a group of people as weirdo freaks, I could hear it in his voice that he knew he was being deceptive. "This weird world of conspiracy with its obsessional paranoia" etc.. He doesn't even pretend not to be biased.
He never came across that way to me. More somewhere in the middle.
I don't watch terrestrial TV because its mostly shite and all media (radio, television, newspapers etc.) other than independents are controlled as they are owned by the very same people that this film is trying to protect.
Trying to protect? It's a horror movie where the NWO wins the day - but in no way does it suggest the film-makers side with them, or their ideology.

It's like saying the ending of Invasion of the Body Snatchers revealed the film-makers as pro-Pod People who are down on humanity!
Loads of Hollywood movies attempt to use propaganda in movies but I can still enjoy them if they are entertaining. I can separate from my intellect and bulls**t detector in order to have fun. Never thought I would be subjected to this crass type of brainwashing at FrightFest though which I hold sacred from that kind of s**t.
I fail to see how the movie trashes people who are "awake", while keeping the rest of us in line (and isn't it a little condescending to suggest everyone but you in the FF audience were all sheep?).

If anything, it highlights a bunch of stuff the NWO/Illuminati would not want people discussing, or to even know about. It may even open people up to large scale conspiracies, and get them to look into Bilderberg/Bohemian Grove, etc... If this was pro-NWO propaganda, why make more people aware of this stuff via a film?

It's a "little guy Vs the big corporation" movie - where you're always on the side of the little guy. We do not need to see the little guy win in order to know right and wrong, and I have no idea why you would go all Alex Jones over it...
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Babyjanehudson, you have an ideological problem, as you see it, with The Conspiracy but not The Dead 2 (I saw your comment on that film in other thread). And that is obviously the more politically problematic of the two. Similarly, not sure what you thought of it but Dark Touch was also problematic for similar reasons.

I don't think The Conspiracy was 'propaganda' in the sense that you mean in any way. I wouldn't say it was the opposite either, it just used a horror movie format to question both sides of the equation (although the filmmakers were set up as good guys, and tarsus as bad guys in my interpretation) and the ending was intentionally ambiguous. I think it is pretty shortsighted of you though to think that the film can be interpreted as 'NWO' propaganda.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Reposting - and replying to this - from another thread:
BabyJaneHudson wrote:THE CONSPIRACY (This movie sucks on so many levels and Im giving this one special attention because it peed me off so badly. :x )

1. This was a propaganda movie pure and simple. The whole point of it was to discredit people who are actually awake to a lot of bulls**t that is going on in this world which lots of people are aware of thanks to great websites like INFOWARS.COM. Check it out for some real horror. Every so called conspiracy mentioned in that movie has been proven with evidence so compelling they cannot be classed as theories - they are fact, 9/11 etc...Funny how they did not include the live news footage of the second tower still standing while the BBC reporter announces that it has fallen - ooops :-

2. The film starts taking the piss out of (and here is the cliche) the fat guy who is a 'conspiracy nut' who has wallpapered his apartment with paper cuttings (please, give me a break). Then one of the piss taking guys is portrayed as becoming a nut because he sees a pattern related to the Tarsus Club.

3. So, they go looking for the fat man who is portrayed as the loser only to forget about looking for him. Then they decide to go to a Tarsus meeting. Not only do they go in they line up for the ritual LMFAO. Like f**k would anyone do that.

4. The guy who gets butchered obviously disappears, but at the end his so called mate who actually sells him out says that it was only a joke (with friends like that who needs...) and he is probably with the other conspiracy guy somewhere slightly pissed off but safe - yeah right !

5. Earlier in the movie and several times a woman comes on talking about paranoia and multiple personality disorder and tries to brainwash the audience into thinking that everyone who could be classed as a conspiracy theorist which is anyone who has a mind of their own and does not believe the mainstream media is a total nut job and mentally ill.

5. Then a NWO scum bag gets the last word at the end portraying a one world government as good because its about uniting nations and all of its people...REALLY...NAH you forgot the bit about the fact that you are eugenicists and believe in mass population reduction of all inferior races and whites who are not considered worthy (non elites), leaving the rest of the population as slaves.

6.Then I have to listen to the guy on stage continually trying to reinforce a negative message using repeatedly derogatory language to again portray a group of people as weirdo freaks, I could hear it in his voice that he knew he was being deceptive. "This weird world of conspiracy with its obsessional paranoia" etc.. He doesn't even pretend not to be biased.

7. He also while on stage says "What's the big deal with a few Elites having some fun in the woods at a meeting....." Ok, in his own film he suggests that a child is being molested is some way. When the guy that dies says he is going to the bog and tries to run away, he opens a door to a room only to see the same guy he was talking to earlier and you hear the sound very very briefly of a child in distress" That is put into the film so you register that a child is being hurt, but so briefly that most people won't even clock it, but it is placed in your subconscious mind because you still heard it. It is a ploy used in television and advertising and all kinds of brainwashing to get people to accept links between certain things, in this case Secret Meetings --> Child Molestation/Paedophillia and making this link accepted. DISGUSTING :evil:

8. I don't watch terrestrial TV because its mostly shite and all media (radio, television, newspapers etc.) other than independents are controlled as they are owned by the very same people that this film is trying to protect. HBO hell yeah and all the channels that put on great series like Game of Thrones, American Horror Story and other interesting documentaries and programs sure - I catch them on the net after they have been broadcast. Loads of Hollywood movies attempt to use propaganda in movies but I can still enjoy them if they are entertaining. I can separate from my intellect and bulls**t detector in order to have fun. Never thought I would be subjected to this crass type of brainwashing at FrightFest though which I hold sacred from that kind of s**t.

JUST BECAUSE I LIKE HORROR MOVIES DOES NOT MAKE ME A BRAINLESS F**KTARD - I KNOW PROPAGANDA WHEN I SEE IT

IF YOU WANT TO PROTECT NWO SCUM WHO ARE WELL KNOWN TO BE INVOLVED IN PAEDOPHILLIA ON A WORLD WIDE SCALE AND THE CAUSE OF SO MUCH SUFFERING AND WORLD TURMOIL - DON"T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE AND DEFINITELY DON"T DO IT AT FRIGHTFEST :- :- :-

SICK F**K
Seriously?

(BJH) Yes seriously - thats my point of view and you can follow the same derogatory line as the film as much as you like, but that is how I feel. I didn't write this to win a popularity contest.
Every so called conspiracy mentioned in that movie has been proven with evidence so compelling they cannot be classed as theories - they are fact, 9/11 etc...
Compelling evidence, yes. But is 9/11 now universally considered an inside job? ...By everyone?

(BJH)
For the following people 9/11 is considered an inside job - anyone who has researched the evidence and listened to the opinions of scientists and experts world wide who have shown that it would be have been impossible for 9/11 to occur in the way that it did without previous knowledge and planning. The eye witnesses in New York including the emergency services who arrived at the scene to help the victims who saw the unusual way the buildings fell which could only have been the result of a controlled explosion. Anyone who joins the dots and saw the BBC footage announcing the second tower falling when it was still standing on live TV and isn't in denial. Anyone who is aware of the financial insider trading that went on the day before because certain people knew that this was going to happen and most importantly of all the families who lost relatives who were lied to and ignored and treated with contempt, they are also aware. People who question what they are told because many aspects of the story just do not fit at all. Some people have not made a decision on this one way or another as it doesn't interest them necessarily (which is most of my friends and thats cool I still luv 'em because not everyone is into the same things) and then there are those who would rather believe what they are told which is equally fine if thats what they want to do.
Earlier in the movie and several times a woman comes on talking about paranoia and multiple personality disorder and tries to brainwash the audience into thinking that everyone who could be classed as a conspiracy theorist which is anyone who has a mind of their own and does not believe the mainstream media is a total nut job and mentally ill.
Isn't she the one revealed as a Tarsus PA woman at the end...? Which would be consistent with what she is saying.

The movie is a fake documentary. If someone really made it, they would interview people from both sides, so you will have quotes about them being nut jobs. Otherwise it would just be the type of propaganda you accuse this film of being.
Then a NWO scum bag gets the last word at the end portraying a one world government as good because its about uniting nations and all of its people...REALLY
Yep, it's a horror movie with a dark ending.
NAH you forgot the bit about the fact that you are eugenicists and believe in mass population reduction of all inferior races and whites who are not considered worthy (non elites), leaving the rest of the population as slaves.
I think you are discrediting the audience - we never forgot it was the bad guys who essentially won in the end.
Then I have to listen to the guy on stage continually trying to reinforce a negative message using repeatedly derogatory language to again portray a group of people as weirdo freaks, I could hear it in his voice that he knew he was being deceptive. "This weird world of conspiracy with its obsessional paranoia" etc.. He doesn't even pretend not to be biased.
He never came across that way to me. More somewhere in the middle.
I don't watch terrestrial TV because its mostly shite and all media (radio, television, newspapers etc.) other than independents are controlled as they are owned by the very same people that this film is trying to protect.
Trying to protect? It's a horror movie where the NWO wins the day - but in no way does it suggest the film-makers side with them, or their ideology.

(BJH)
The fact the film was made in the way that it was is clearly a propaganda tool to my eyes especially for people who are not aware of a lot of these issues - that is really who this film is aimed at. The fact that the guy comes on stage and continues to reinforce the negativity also suggests that he is really trying to push a certain message about a group of people who in reality are not paranoid and weird, but come from every walk of life in terms of race, creed and colour, from across all age groups from young to old in countries all over the world.

Also many books have written by the people we are talking about who admit to their plans openly - they can do this because they know that for many people it is very difficult to get their heads around the bizzareness of it all - the scale of this is hard to comprehend and many people switch off because they have enough problems dealing with life to do their own heads in with this kind of thing or attack others who talk about it because it does not fit in with the conditioning which all of us have undergone through state education (false history) as well as the idea of trusting those in authority completely and never questioning those 'above us'.

It's like saying the ending of Invasion of the Body Snatchers revealed the film-makers as pro-Pod People who are down on humanity!

(BJH)
No, its not like saying that at all. (Great movie belongs in my top 10 of Sci-Fi movies :D )

Loads of Hollywood movies attempt to use propaganda in movies but I can still enjoy them if they are entertaining. I can separate from my intellect and bulls**t detector in order to have fun. Never thought I would be subjected to this crass type of brainwashing at FrightFest though which I hold sacred from that kind of s**t.
I fail to see how the movie trashes people who are "awake", while keeping the rest of us in line (and isn't it a little condescending to suggest everyone but you in the FF audience were all sheep?).

If anything, it highlights a bunch of stuff the NWO/Illuminati would not want people discussing, or to even know about. It may even open people up to large scale conspiracies, and get them to look into Bilderberg/Bohemian Grove, etc... If this was pro-NWO propaganda, why make more people aware of this stuff via a film?

It's a "little guy Vs the big corporation" movie - where you're always on the side of the little guy. We do not need to see the little guy win in order to know right and wrong, and I have no idea why you would go all Alex Jones over it...

(BJH)
It has to have some level of credibility and truth in it like I said before in order to get away with the rest of the manipulation. I don't think people are encouraged to look into anything as the film suggests you'll turn mentally ill if you start digging too deep and catch schizophrenia lol - it paints people in a negative light like they are a bunch of sad loners which is far from reality.

I didn't comment on peoples ability to know right from wrong ??? I was talking about a film which I think is deceptive and manipulative. No one can comment about another persons perception of anything - that would be like commenting on how someone feels when they see a work of art or listen to a symphony, there is no right or wrong way to perceive, you see what you choose to see. I am talking about the way something is presented to the audience.

I was expressing a view that people like Alex Jones share because last time I looked it wasn't a crime to do so. If you have no idea why I want to do that - express my view - then what can I say. Attack me all you like, Im so used to this reaction from people like you Im totally numb to it. I get pissed off with propaganda because it is used to divide people and play one group off of another.

This film does totally trash people who are awake or who are beginning to awaken or who question what they are told. If you don't see it with your own eyes then fair enough you don't see it. That doesn't mean that other people are not allowed to see something because you don't.

We can agree to disagree :D
Last edited by BabyJaneHudson on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!