The Last Days

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: The Last Days

Post by streetrw »

Wow. My film of the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And the ending is beautiful. Alan Jones said it would divide the audience and I'm firmly on the pro- camp on this one. Gorgeous.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Rediculous idea - fear of the outside - ear bleeding if you go out - safe if you stay in because whatever causes death can't cross a threshold LOL.

Boring

Ending awful.

I wanted to self harm this was so bad.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

streetrw wrote:Wow. My film of the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And the ending is beautiful. Alan Jones said it would divide the audience and I'm firmly on the pro- camp on this one. Gorgeous.
I think Alan passed on that message from the Pastor brothers themselves.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

The Soapmaker wrote:It was a bit hard to understand the exact nature of "The Panic", and to work out quite why society had collapsed so very quickly.
Yeah, this was the problem I found with it, too. The Panic wasn't really executed very well, I didn't think. There was that bit with the massive citywide power cut (?? I assume it was a power cut anyway), during the GPS standoff, which I thought would lead to more of what the virus was, how it had affected society (beyond what we could see) and so on. It all felt rushed, which meant I didn't care whether our heroes lived/died/found each other or did a little jig in the middle of Barcelona.

I found it pretty tedious even taking the divisive ending out of the equation. Like I say, for me, the synopsis makes it sound way more engaging and interesting than the actual onscreen execution of the plot.
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

Really good movie. Possibly the best of the weekend for me. Beautifully shot, good acting, great visuals and I was not concerned by the vagueness of the panic.

Going to oppose streetwr though, I don't mind the ending and I understand the ending but:

1. I am british and therefore hot wired to be cynical
2. I am a huge John Carpenter fan

So I would have left them in separate buildings only a 100 feet apart unable to bridge that final gap after all the hardship of getting there.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

steve806 wrote:Really good movie. Possibly the best of the weekend for me. Beautifully shot, good acting, great visuals and I was not concerned by the vagueness of the panic.

Going to oppose streetwr though, I don't mind the ending and I understand the ending but:

1. I am british and therefore hot wired to be cynical
2. I am a huge John Carpenter fan

So am I, and so am I. :)

One other thing I like about it is indeed that the nature of The Panic is left unclear. They speculate about it but, like Groundhog Day, the film never sides with any particular cause.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:Rediculous idea - fear of the outside - ear bleeding if you go out - safe if you stay in because whatever causes death can't cross a threshold LOL.

Boring

Ending awful.

I wanted to self harm this was so bad.
My thoughts exactly.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:Rediculous idea - fear of the outside - ear bleeding if you go out - safe if you stay in because whatever causes death can't cross a threshold LOL.
As I said in my previous post, the exact nature of "The Panic" was very unclear, but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film, it's not meant to be "hard" science fiction.

But to speculate, I don't think it was a physical/medical reaction to simply being outside, it was a purely psychological condition leading to extreme panic. I'm no doctor, but surely extreme stress can produce physical symptoms such as raised blood pressure, even heart attacks etc. And it could come and go very quickly depending on whether you believe you're in a safe environment.

If it was a physical rather than mental condition, it would've been relatively easy for Marc to just tough it out and sprint between the two buildings at the end.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Wedotv.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey