I Spit On Your Grave 2

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

I Spit On Your Grave 2

Post by jonbly »

4/10 - weak follow-up. Set up was OK, but the revenge sequences were either dull or merely unpleasant. Waste of a decent lead performance. No more, please.
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: I Spit On Your Grave 2

Post by Dom »

What did Paul Mcevoy say that got the Frightfest twitter account all excited?
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

Maybe it was because the rest of Sunday had set my standards so low....but i didnt mind it. Not great, but not awful. Maybe 5/10
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Poor end to a poor day. Reekend of studio pressure to get a sequel out to cash in on the remake. Terrible film with no redeeming values.

1/10
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Dom wrote:What did Paul Mcevoy say that got the Frightfest twitter account all excited?
It was a comment he made in reference to the goings on at the R.I.P.D. screening the day before (in which two gents sat at the back of the auditorium apparently tugged each other off in 3D while watching the Ryan Reynolds family friendly outing... in future I suggest they fit mini windscreen wipers to the glasses, just in case it happens again... ahem). Paul got director Steven Monroe onstage with star Jemma Dallander for a quick Q+A before I Spit On Your Grave 2 started and said due to the subject matter he very much doubted anyone would be wanking off to this one. With much laughter coming from the auditorium Paul then looked at Jemma and realised that might not have been such a complimentary thing to say so quickly added something to the effect of "not that you're not worth wanking off to". The audience are by now in hysterics (I was almost crying) so Paul, realising he's now made things worse, tries to backtrack with a "no, no, I didn't mean it like that" by which stage screen one of the Empire was rolling in the aisles. Bloody hilarious. I'm bringing Paul a shovel next year! As for the movie, Dallander gives it her all and deserves 10/10 for effort but, apart from the final ball crushing scene, the film is a trashy let down and nowhere near as good as Monroe's remake from a couple of years back. That said, the film does contain the unintentional comedy highlight of the year when a raped, drugged up and kidnapped Katie wakes up in Bulgaria (don't ask how the kidnappers got her there. Honestly, if all it took to smuggle something through airport security was to stick a "do not x-ray' label on the side of the crate then the terrorists out there would be having a field day). Confused as to where she is Katie staggers up to an English speaking cop and says as much. The cop looks surprised and says "You don't know where you are?!? You're in Bulgaria". Katie looks to the heavens, fists clenched, and screams out "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!". And there was me thinking it was meant to be a popular place for holidaymakers to visit. Needless to say the audience was roaring with laughter yet again. Despite being poor the film still gets a 5/10 from me then for unintentional entertainment value.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Oh dear, I found this to be one of the worst of the fest. Not because of the iffy subject matter, I really like the initial remake. I thought the first one was incredibly well shot and acted and the revenge bits were pretty entertaining. I am just amazed this was by the same director.

If your budget necessitates the need to set in and film in Bulgaria then set the whole film there. The minute someone who has undergone an horrendous attack suddenly realises they are in Europe having been attacked in New York is the minute you say goodbye to your audience in my opinion. The first one at least had reality on its side.

To remake the original was surprising but I think they pulled it off. To continue and attempt to turn it into a possible franchise is, well this movie proves it, a huge mistake.
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

odishon wrote:To remake the original was surprising but I think they pulled it off. To continue and attempt to turn it into a possible franchise is, well this movie proves it, a huge mistake.
And who really wants a movie franchise built around rape? Not me...
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Spoilers ***

A weaker script than that of the remake, while Jemma Dallender wasn't as effective as Sarah Butler. The kill / torture also paled in comparison, with one notable exception which is rarely seen and very well executed, making the late night worth it. Shame the rest hadn't been better, although at least some thought had gone into setting up the initial attack, while the subsequent relocation did give a different flavour to proceedings. 6.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Plex
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey