Willow Creek

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Willow Creek

Post by AdeBrown »

"Oh yeah, you know that Blair Witch thing that everyone loved last century? I could do that".

(Not actual quote, but true.)

Turns out what it takes is an endearing cast and some tight direction the the spookiest scene and a song about Big Foot.
Lovely film.

Turns out all of us (me included) who had enough of the found footage films were confused by bad films using it.
Bobcat Goldthwait done good. And I feel like the person in1927 who said
I wish they'd stop doing talkies (tongue in cheek hyperbole, maybe).

Genuinely spooked and hooked by that extended scene in the tent.
I look forward to DVD extended interviews with Big Foot Believers.
Last edited by AdeBrown on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Willow Creek

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Amazing blend of comedy and scares - 9/10
DucDeRichleau
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by DucDeRichleau »

Loved that long, lingering take in the tent. Such a simple, static shot, but the tension just kept ramping up brilliantly as the scene went on, mostly thanks to the great sound design and some believably terrified performances. I never thought I'd particularly enjoy another one of those 'night in the woods' found footage movies (see, uh, A Night In The Woods for details...) but this was massively enjoyable despite relying on such a well-trodden central idea. 8/10
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Hugely entertaining.

Only problem I have is with this genre of lets get lost camping. I mean surely most normal/sensible people would take maps, GPS , as in the US hunting rifle etc etc when off exploring an area this big and wild.

I guess it is natural selection at work and weeding out those who are too dumb.

Bobcat was great fun, I'll hold my hand up as one of those did think he was dead.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Found footage of a couple investigating the Bigfoot legend. One of the better examples of this format, with great chemistry between the leads and some quirky, often real, characters they encounter along the way. Includes a tremendous tense and suspenseful uninterrupted 19 minute sequence, as well as some effective closing scenes. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

19 minutes was it?

I know it was 67 cuts in all as Bobcat mentioned.

Through that scene I went from being a bit bored to being totally sucked into the drama, very effective.

Simple premise, stick the fun and laughs in with the non-actor, real locals and then snatch it away as the couple leave civilisation, meet one last local and then head off into the wilds.

Simple, effective and a 'proper' found footage movie, which I'm not a fan of, but when done properly they do work very well.

Bobcat was great introducing the film (sadly no Q&A after the 2nd screening) but I had met him before the first screening and his is an extremely affable and friendly chap. If I'd seen him with Terry Gillian I think I may have shown some emotion.
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

The 19 minute take was like a song I've got by Godheadsilo. It includes an 11 minute one note bass solo in the middle of a 13 minute song... just when you've got over the novelty it really starts to grate and then you're sucked in and waiting for the turn of events to change.

Loved Willow Creek
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Available on FreeVee and Icon
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey