Odd Thomas

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Odd Thomas

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Bombastic and silly as you'd expect from Sommers. It had some decent acting and script, and it was well made, but there were too many plot holes (the contradictory actions of the Bodachs, the unnecessary complexity of the evil plot that requires two of them to become police officers, the redundancy of trying to shoot up the mall and then blow it up, Odd turning his head fast enough to dodge a bullet), and something about the flat characters rubbed me the wrong way. A lot of the humour didn't work for me either. I did like the final twist, but not quite enough to prevent me giving it 4/10
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Oh, this was one of my very favourites of the festival and probably one of my favourites of the year. I absolutely adored this film. And considering it's by Stephen Sommers, who can be a bit overblown sometimes, it's even more impressive. Being unaware of the book, I was unprepared for a kick-in-the-guts ending which somehow doesn't make me like the film any less. I had such a blast with it.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

Really enjoyed this refreshingly cheery movie, having not read the book, i wonder if the relationship with his girlfriend is as cloying as its shown in the film
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Another nice, safe film.

Out of place at FrightFest? Probably - but doesn't make it a worse film because of where I view it.

Not something I would ever pay to watch though, twee Disney-13 rated highly-shiny polished-produced pop-corn fun.

Hello Addison Timlin.

The one thing I didn't like
Spoiler:
If fungus Bob can't touch him because he is dead, how does he spend the last weeks (building up to the mawkish ending) with his dead girlfriend's ghost?
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Thought this was ok, but as usual Sommers can't resist overdoing everything to the nth degree - slow mo, speed ramping, incredibly loud sound, multiple flashbacks to explain every single plot point we might possibly have failed to understand with shitty CGI editing to bring us back to the present. And the dialogue - never has so much jibber jabber signifying nothing been spewed out by such unconvincing actors.

Also continued the Sommers trademark of truly shitty visual effects for no good reason - the matting on the church spire picnic scene was dire, and the bodachs were overused.

But despite all that I quite liked it.

Agree with TheDukeAbides about the inconsistent ending.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

currently on Shudder, Rakuten.tv, plex, PlutoTV and WedoTV.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey