Odd Thomas

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Odd Thomas

Post by Rob@Sky »

Odd Thomas a great afternoon film today. Right level of polished fantasy horror/comedy amidst the possibly heavier movies.
Full review: http://www.electric-shadows.com/odd-thomas/
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Odd Thomas

Post by Charlie »

I liked it. Felt a bit like a TV show though. 6/10
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

Excellent: The Frighteners for a new generation. There can be no higher praise :D
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - really liked this one - tailor made for a TV series to run on from here.
sdaveak47
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by sdaveak47 »

7.5/10 The Frighteners meets Scott Pilgrim - not as good as the former but better than the latter.

Odd was great Stormy unfortunately a little irritating but still very entertaining overall.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Loved it, but up against the slow dramas of Sunday and today it was bound to be a mood lifter. Possibly my favourite of the weekend, need to digest. My eyeballs sweated a little bit at the end.

9/10
bernal316
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bernal316 »

Had low expectations going into this one, but have to admit i was pleasantly surprised. Having the advantage of being based on a great book it really translated to the screen well. Well paced and nicely built towards the pay off. A great way to spend a bank holiday afternoon. And even though i knew the fate of Stormy it still moistened the eyeballs.
7.5/10
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I'm almost embarrassed at how much I enjoyed this and I didn't have much hope for it either, but it was just the job after the hard going stuff and I'm glad I wasn't the only one to have something in their eye at the end. Erased the spectre of the woeful Banshee Chapter nicely.

I wonder who it's aimed at - it's a bit gory for kids (although I would have been a huge fan) and a bit cheesy and teen-drama for adults. Maybe they are planning a TV series for the teenagers after all, in which case my guess is E4 or possibly Channel 5.
Lucio Frizzi
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Lucio Frizzi »

Frightfest: The Dark Heart Of Cinema. That's what the image projected on the screen said. With that in mind, I settled down in my chair, rubbing my hands together excitedly, expecting something challenging perhaps or maybe something new or a twist on an old favourite. What did I get? A kids film, a FUCKING KIDS FILM!!! Something a Twilight fan would dismiss as ropey. Something I overheard people say was a "nice" film and a bit of a break. Something people on here have described as a good "Sunday afternoon" film?? The fucking Railway Children is a good Sunday afternoon film. I'm not expecting A Serbian Film on a loop but seriously? ...Jesus Christ....
There's no heaven up there, we'll have to make heaven down here.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Wasn't really a typical FF film, and could have understanably thought of as a bit out of place, but I thought this was good, and was especillay interesting if you've read the book. It preserved the tone of the book very well, with the dusty small town feel, and the characters of Odd and Stormy were spot on.

Did spot a few plot holes (which are also present in the book IIRC) - firstly if Fungus Man is a ghost and Stormy can't see him, how does she follow him into the ice cream shop and find out what he orders? Secondly Odd stays to the other guy that can see the bodachs that they'll kill him if they know they can see him, then Odd finds out at the end the bodachs can actually see him and have been manipulating him, why didn't they just kill him before?

But anyway, good all the same 7/10
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Gave it 30 minutes... caught up on sleep.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Wolfshade wrote: if Fungus Man is a ghost and Stormy can't see him, how does she follow him into the ice cream shop and find out what he orders?
He's not dead at that point.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

jonbly wrote:
Wolfshade wrote: if Fungus Man is a ghost and Stormy can't see him, how does she follow him into the ice cream shop and find out what he orders?
He's not dead at that point.
Ah 'kay, so he's killed between then and when he comes to the church.

Think the bit regarding the bodachs is still a plot hole though, if they knew he could see them and knew he was a threat, it seems strange they didn't just kill him like they did the other guy.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Enjoyed it. Reminded me very much of The Frighteners as someone else has posted. An odd choice for a "teen friendly" movie to have a mall shooting as a central plot point which I suspect will leave it struggling to get the release that it deserves.
chuckie steel
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by chuckie steel »

I enjoyed this, thought it would be teen pop shit, and even though in some ways it was a teen pop film, I digged it. reminded me off The Frightners
DROP LIKE A HEAD CHOP!